IGNORED

The RROD thread

j.m.ratkos

I've been fortunate that my launch system has provided me with countless hours of enjoyment.

that is, until today.

I turned it on for a quick round of worms and it froze while the host was selecting the map settings. when I went to restart it, I was greeted with the infamous three red quadrants. the power supply seems fine (orange light in stand-by mode, green when I power up the system), however after going through the motions, it appears that I have to whisk my system off to microsoft for repairs (at my cost no less).

is it just me, or is anyone else a bit miffed that knowing full well that they had a problem with their launch systems, that a year later (and just out of warranty) your 400usd system costs almost half that for to get it serviced to known issues? (and something that you really shouldn't be charged for).

additionally, of the people here who are running launch systems; is your system still running fine, or have you had to have it serviced or replaced? (I would have made this a poll, but I no longer see the option to create one).

Mine went today. For no reason. At all. I'd been watching some HD stuff last night. All fine. I turn it on tonight to be greeted by the three rings of doom. I haven't even touched it today. It hasn't moved, no one has been near it... Bag of arse!

Iza's has been crashing and locking a lot and yesterday it died. She phoned up expecting a massive tussle on the phone and got greeted with " Ok, we'll send out the UPS stickers, box it up when you get them and phone UPs and they'll pick it up. It needs maintenance which will be free of charge". If that bombshell wasn't enough the UPS dude brought the stickers with him today and took the console there and then.

It's worth pointing out that the manufacture date was Jan 06. Curious, neh?

I mentioned in another thread that my one broke down, a launch day machine, and I phoned up the initial time to complain and they tried to charge me £86. I went to the supervisor and moaned and moaned but they wouldn't budge-I even pretended I actually bought it months after they knew I did as it said on their system etc.

A week or so later, after reading up on it, I decided I couldn't be bothered so I rang them up to actually pay. The woman simply said that "as I bought it in March 2006 it is just out of warranty but as a goodwill gesture we'll fix it free of charge" and proceeded to give me instructions for UPS etc and emailed the sticker to print off. I didn't complain! They picked it up yesterday, it arrived with them today and I got another email to say they're sending it back to me (whether they repaired it or issued a replacement I don't know) which was amazingly quick seeing as they told me it would take around 15 days. I'm just worried that it was sorted out so freakishly quickly that they realised that it wasn't bought in March 06 (they know everything from your serial number) and decided to just send it back with a nasty letter-but then again, why waste the money with UPS to both collect and dispatch it? They would have at least called me to explain there was a mistake or something. I think I'm just paranoid!!

Not that I'm a pessimist or anything, but I fully expect my (2nd) 360 to die the moment I first put the Halo 3 disc in. If that did happen, I think MS would have a hard time repairing it, after it had been flung from my window.

Well mine went yesterday, only played arcade titles for about a week, stuck pes6 in updated played about 5 games online turned it off. Saturday came mate comes round for weekly pes 6 play xbox made the loudst grinding noises ever, was so loud i seriously got a shock. Now disc arnt readable. This will be my ninth console yeah ninth and if this goes i wont be buy a replacement this one has warrenty till october 07 after that they can fook off if it breaks its get slung. 360 are the weakest console in history, uptill the 360 i never had a console break on me apart from my jaguar.

I am on my 5th, and all were treated with kid gloves, mixture of drive, GPU and hard drive failures. 360s are ace and pants.

If any of the mods are awake can we merge this with the "all 360 owners; problems?" thread (and possible change the title to omit the question mark at the end "all 360 owners = problems)

Not that I'm a pessimist or anything, but I fully expect my (2nd) 360 to die the moment I first put the Halo 3 disc in. If that did happen, I think MS would have a hard time repairing it, after it had been flung from my window.

:unsure:

I'm still on my first (bought in December '06) but I'm also a pessimist so I'm just waiting for it to die. Now I can look forward to it dying on Halo 3 release date. Cheers you bastard. ^_^

I bought a launch day console and haven't had any bother with it.

In saying that, I also expect it to die at some stage but I'm sure at one stage Microsoft said they'd replace any pre-2006 360 because the firest run was so bad.

I don't think I made it up but I can't find the Eurogamer news story I claim I once read...

I bought a launch day console and haven't had any bother with it.

In saying that, I also expect it to die at some stage but I'm sure at one stage Microsoft said they'd replace any pre-2006 360 because the firest run was so bad.

I don't think I made it up but I can't find the Eurogamer news story I claim I once read...

Only in the US is it official as far as I'm aware, brought in to avert a class action lawsuit. Saying that though I;ve heard of people getting them fixed for free here and then there are other who get lumbered with £85 so who knows.