The Making of The Empire Strikes Back, Jet Force Gemini, Switchblade

Desert Island Disks: Ben Daglish

Reader Revival: Bobby is Going Home

Cheap as Chips: Mercs

The Classic Game: Gribbly's Day Out

Why You Must Play: Dragonninja

Let's All Play: Paperboy

Usual columns: Back to the 80s,90, news, reviews,

Retro Booty Treasure of the Month: The 8-Bit Book!

A Moment With: Mike Hally

Sadly this is my last month of getting the magazine. I won't be buying it again or renewing my sub until we get a 105 page article on Tim Langdell, the true pioneer of the industry for the last 150 years.

So much conflict... I mean, which thread to post in...?! Ah well, this is a start.

I've just picked mine up, too. Rained on and unwrapped for now, it looks like the usual fab mix of content. Better get myself over to the RG forums later, then. It wouldn't be the same without witnessing a monthly dose of 'too old/too young, too much/not enough, <format> has been in before/it's not retro' and further pettiness... :lol::lol:

Poor Mr. Darran!

Thanks for the news item on playsega. I'm surprised that there hasn't been more interest in this service. I was tempted to take the plunge but it's just that bit too much at the moment. £5 a month or £30 for a full year.

If the service gets going and the ammount of games on the service grows rapidly then maybe. But that's too much for about 35 games most of which have been on sega compilations for years.

The potential is clear though. £30 a year to play all of Sega's back catalogue on a reliable service would be great.

Ooooh, Jet Force Gemini. Loved that game, but never finished it. Got stuck on that two headed beastie bit with the Robot Dog and never managed to get past it. Might have to pick this up.

Can't see that the story behind the Emipre Strikes Back is much....

Atari Exec: 'Well done on that Star Wars game thing, we made a mint.'

Programer: 'Thanks, I got some great ideas for a Empire sequel, might cost a bit though.'

Atari Exec: 'Can't you just use the current game and change it a bit?'

Programer: 'Suppose.'

Atari Exec: 'Good. let me know how that goes. I'm off to order some more E.T Cartridges.'

(Presuming off course that it is the Atari game)

Right, but it's your name in the lead section... :(

The first line of it's entry hardly makes it seem like a properly debated choice. No mention of the shoddy controls and ridiculously bad dubbing that makes Manga Ent's early 90s work sound amazing? It's Hardly a neutral entry, it's promoting something as the best game on a system but uses most of it's text on hype and not the gameplay or important matters!

</rant>

Right, but it's your name in the lead section... :rolleyes:

The first line of it's entry hardly makes it seem like a properly debated choice. No mention of the shoddy controls and ridiculously bad dubbing that makes Manga Ent's early 90s work sound amazing? It's Hardly a neutral entry, it's promoting something as the best game on a system but uses most of it's text on hype and not the gameplay or important matters!

</rant>

You either love Shenmue or you hate it. If you love it it's probably your no 1 Dreamcast game, if you hate it you wouldn't even consider it for a top 50.

I agree, but that doesn't address the complaint about the handling of the entry by whoever wrote it. It was clearly written by someone who loves the game. Which is fine, but with opinion so divided on the game, it needs to be neutral, not overwhelming praise, and completely passing over the marmite status..

I agree, but that doesn't address the complaint about the handling of the entry by whoever wrote it. It was clearly written by someone who loves the game. Which is fine, but with opinion so divided on the game, it needs to be neutral, not overwhelming praise, and completely passing over the marmite status..

But it you wrote. It's an amazing game but lots of people don't like it you'd never expect to see it in the top spot. Anyway, it's printed now. I actually take your view. I never got as far as the arcade personally.

When Shenmue kicks in it really is one of the great games on any system, let alone the Dreamcast. It's just that it takes soooo long to get going in the first place.

Shenmue 2's pacing is much better, is that in the list or not included as it's a sequel? Haven't got to that bit yet.

I finished the first Shenmue, but not the sequel. That means it must be better, or something. Anyway back to the mag. Did I dream it or is there mention of the Apple ][ on the cover or in the front section? I can't see anything on it, but I have only had a quick flick through so far.

But it you wrote. It's an amazing game but lots of people don't like it you'd never expect to see it in the top spot. Anyway, it's printed now. I actually take your view. I never got as far as the arcade personally.

I liked the Dreamcast list, although there were a lot of the "usual suspects" in it (Typing of the Dead was a great choice!). But in saying that, looking at the list, and even Shenmue in particular, there's a LOT of games/genres that have died off since then. Maybe it's the fact that the DC was a glorified arcade machine, which maybe explains the number of arcade conversions on the list, or maybe it's because it was the last of the consoles that allowed "simpler" gaming (which you could say, killed off the DC.. people wanted GTA and 40+ hours of gameplay).

I really loved Shenmue, although I didn't get very far in either of them, and I do think it sums up the DC. A series that is absolutely adored by most who played it (look at how excited people get at the thought of Shenmue III), had grand ambitions and yet did really, really badly in terms of sales (considering it's budget).

Hey, even if you don't agree with it being number one, you'd still easily have it in your top 10. And then you would replace the top spot with something from the top 25.

Oh, except where's Ferrari 355 and Daytona (especially Daytona) on the list?!?!?!? ;-) You see.. that's the problem with lists!! :wub:

Shenmue 2 was a streamlined piece of genius compared to the bloaty, directionless arse-fest that was the first game.

And it had Joy.

1) The lack of streamlining was the genius of Shenmue. Killing time in the arcade waiting for a bus, looking through every drawer, having to be back in time for bed, having to walk for miles. It was stupid, but genius. And the fork-lift sections were awesome.

2) Nozomi was nicer.