rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Moz

Torchlight/Torchlight II

Yeah I'm a chunk into act 2 and haven't died once on easy. Supposedly it does start getting very hard in act 3 though so don't think you can avoid putting any points into vitality. But yeah, wish I had started on vet. I will crank up the difficulty for a co-op play through though.

Clippa, you're getting negged because you've just become a boring PC gamer cliche. Just accept that people aren't bothered by fields of view, 120hz and bloody keyboard and mice, and just want to enjoy games how they like and pipe down.

IT'S NOT HOW THEY LIKE IT'S HOW THE EVIL MULTINATIONAL CORPORATE CONSOLE OVERLORDS DECREE IT TO BE

At least with TL2 when you play through again on the next difficulty level the whole map will be different unlike D3 which just felt like the exact same maps with harder enemy groups.

Is anyone up for some late evening co-op - I'm working all weekend but am trying to squeeze in a bit of this and BL2 when I can but so far haven't had any decent online capers.

There are things that Diablo 3 does better than Torchlight 2, definitely, but I have to call you out on the following:

I'm done with skill trees and their constraints - I love that I can switch my entire skillset on the fly in Diablo to take on certain areas or make things more efficient for co-op.

Skill tree pros and cons aside, Diablo is actually one of the few games to give you some nice tactical depth with skillsets, and then ACTIVELY ENCOURAGES YOU not to swap.

It never gives you that situation where you can see an elite, and then switch your skill set up on the fly- since they move so fast that you often can't even TP away from them, and changing skills whilst fighting them on the harder difficulties when they hit so hard is practically impossible, most of the time you can't adapt until you've died fighting an elite once. That's just crap. Wouldn't it be so much better to be able to see the elite ahead, and what skills he's got, and then adapt accordingly? Total missed opportunity.

But the worst thing is the Nephilim buff- again, you've designed a game that allows for all that swapping of skills at any time, but you lose your huge bonus in magic find? Say you've opened your game to other players, but no-one comes in for a while. You kill bosses, get a full stack. Then someone joins. You'd like to change your skills to take advantage of the rich options you have with another player there, but you're punished for doing so. WTF??

Also, some of the skills were broken from the off, which Blizzard must have known about before release, but took 3 months to patch- you're given all these options, some of which, don't even function properly beyond the first few difficulty levels. The witchdoctor pets are perhaps the biggest examples.

Yes, Torchlight gets some things wrong that D3 gets right- at the moment, standing on the top of a 'ramp' bit of scenery, whilst my normal attack hits enemies coming up, my skills don't seem to. That's not good. Also, with skills like rapid fire, when holding down shift, I want to be able to control the arc I'm firing in, say spraying from left to right, but I can't- there doesn't seem to be any way to do that, it just seems to 'stick' to the first monster I hit until I disengage the skill and start it firing again. But, there aren't parts of its game design which are totally at odds at each other, and I can't see how anyone can justify the above point with D3.

• Upvote 1

To be fair, if we'd known about it before release we probably would have.

True I guess- I think after D3, I was just scouring the net for anything to make the game easier to play straight up on release. Plus, I saw Clippa's post :P They should have publicised it a bit better though, especially since other than the login, multiplayer seemed to be working fine from the off.

Me n Kayin played an hour of a new elite playthrough this eve. It's rather difficult.

I've literally just seen your message on Steam, sorry!

I did not realize I can keep spewing out spider mines to make up a little army. Also in the tooltip for them its says there's a 'fifteen second duration' or something for them. Is that an error?

How does multiplayer work (haven't done my runic account thing yet)? Can you just play with randoms? Is it advisable to? Nobody I know is really into this kind of game.

I did not realize I can keep spewing out spider mines to make up a little army. Also in the tooltip for them its says there's a 'fifteen second duration' or something for them. Is that an error?

How does multiplayer work (haven't done my runic account thing yet)? Can you just play with randoms? Is it advisable to? Nobody I know is really into this kind of game.

I think you can have up to 9 spider mines. They are great! They last more than fifteen seconds but I think they will self destruct after a while.

I've only played multiplayer with a couple of others. You can play with randoms or just friends. I'm not really a fan of playing with random people in games like this but I imagine it wouldn't be tooooo bad with TL2.

You can always join the muk steam group and add some of us :)

Count me in for any co-op muk shenanigans. I fully intend to spend the next few evenings on this so add me up on steam/runic - mortis316uk and drop me an invite.

That won't be happening - we will start new characters for an elite playthrough.

My main (28 I think?) and Kayin (level 7) couldn't get to each other to play the other night so we just made new characters.

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/265173-torchlight-2-6-player-co-op-tonight-tuesday-8pm/

Sign up thread. I believe 8pm is ideal for a session - gives people time to have some dinner, but still gives us a few hours before most people start leaving for the night. There will be no quest reading here, just charging through as quick as possible, with only stopping for trading gear.

Oh man I haven't even really started this yet. Borderlands is too compelling!

Start this at your own risk, I love Borderlands 2 but I've been barely able to play it because Torchlight 2 is so damn addictive :(

Quick question. Is some, or any, part of TL2 randomly generated?

It ALL is I believe.

It's not just random in the Diablo 3 sense of "will this dungeon (one roomed cellar) spawn?" either, but the entire area can be completely different each time. :wub: Runic!

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/265173-torchlight-2-6-player-co-op-tonight-tuesday-8pm/

Sign up thread. I believe 8pm is ideal for a session - gives people time to have some dinner, but still gives us a few hours before most people start leaving for the night. There will be no quest reading here, just charging through as quick as possible, with only stopping for trading gear.

Man, I never usually do anything on a Tuesday evening. Except tonight :( Mind you, it's only the footy and it may well be shite and/or called off entirely because of all this pissing rain.