IGNORED

Neill Blomkamp's Elysium

Goose

Been ages since I saw it, but isn't there a big song and dance at the start about Elysium deliberately having no defences for some PR reason, hence Foster has to off-shore the contract to Sharlto off the books?

It's supposed to be an off world paradise, why people assume this means gigantic rocket towers and defense systems should be there is beyond me. Who wants to pay billions of dollars to live on an off world habitat where they will have a view of gigantic space lazers? They have the bots for security to round up anyone that does manage to get on the ringworld, shown 30 minutes in. There's simply no reason for it to have hardcore defenses, they have the capability for non-lethal removal of unwanted persons. This is mentioned when Delacourt gets a bollocking for using Kruger to shoot them down in the first place.

Then everyone shouts about how spider and his crew manage to land in the last 20 minutes of the film without incident, forgetting that the Bots are under-

Delacourt's control who was murdered by Kruger about 10 minutes before this happens. That's why they don't do shit until Max and Spider upload the new program and act under the new orders

I can kinda see why these critisicms are raised all the time, but they are explained.

What a lot of bollocks. They need ONE laser cannon on Elysium - and point it at Earth. Bingo bango bongo, you have an impenetrable space shield that does not depend completely on a guy not getting his rocket launcher tangled up in his blanket when he needs to fire it. Whoever is on the hundred metre strip of the mega halo where that one cannon is visible from can maybe get ten quid off their monthly rent for the inconvenience. Or they could make it look like a tree.

Also, your point about the robots and Delacourt is also bollocks. It may be correct within the framework of the story, but that illustrates that the story stinks. In what universe would their instructions be 'Never do anything to defend Elysium unless I specifically tell you!!!' What if she's asleep? Drunk? Hung over? In a coma?

Admittedly, her accent does make you think that all those things were happening to her at once.

Why spend billions of dollars on a whizz bang space lazer defense system when the people on earth are so poor they have to fly up in a rickety old craft and from the looks of the baying mob it's pure pot luck who gets to go up, what damage do you think they can do?

No one up there other than delacourt 'relies' on favela ninja, in fact they wanted him struck off because they don't actually like the idea of murdering civies, even if they are poor immigrants.

Regardless i would rather watch Kruger murder by sword and high explosives for 2 hours than a space lazer blowing up ships any day of the week

ZOK, on 14 Mar 2015 - 8:51 PM, said:

Also, your point about the robots and Delacourt is also bollocks. It may be correct within the framework of the story, but that illustrates that the story stinks.

Hardly my fucking fault then, is it? ^_^

You seem to have invented most of Elysium in your mind, rather than what was on the screen.

'Why spend billions of dollars', you say? They already spent billions of dollars building the thing! You could imagine they might then think a laser to protect it might have been worth like the fifty quid on top it would have cost them. :lol:

2 hours of Kruger and it might have been a really good film. As it is, it's a totally dull film, with about twenty minutes or so of brilliant stuff in it.

Elysium was excellent and I never got the negativity to it. Miles better than overhyped shit like Gravity

There is more fun in any five minutes picked at random from Gravity than all of Elysium, except for the twenty minutes or so indicated above.

Elysium was rubbish, Chappie made me cry tears at the money I'd wasted on the cinema ticket. I'm very underwhelmed with Blomkamps output at the minute, is he going to manage to keep his career going on the fact that he's made one good film?

Well, one incredible film. The fact that he has turned out some dreck since doesn't rub the shine off District 9 being one of the best SF movies of our generation.

Also, his Halo short movie was flipping fantastic!

I'm very underwhelmed with Blomkamps output at the minute, is he going to manage to keep his career going on the fact that he's made one good film?

Well, until people like you stop going to watch his films based on name alone, yeah.

P.s. I though Elysium was ok. Not in the permanent collection, but not horrific.

Elysium was rubbish, Chappie made me cry tears at the money I'd wasted on the cinema ticket. I'm very underwhelmed with Blomkamps output at the minute, is he going to manage to keep his career going on the fact that he's made one good film?

Someone on Badass Digest posted this:

I think the response to Chappie is more about Neil Blomkamp, and who he's revealing himself to be; more Zack Snyder (without the visual panache) than Duncan Jones.

If Chappie had been his first film, I think we'd see it more for what it is: raw high concept sci fi that's an entertaining take on familiar sci fi tropes from a filmmaker who shows promise as a discount Verhoeven.

However, this shouldn't distract from the criticism; every interview, subsequent lesser film, and his insufferable indulgences (Diet Antwerp, the elegent discrimination, et cetera) are all working against him. Chappie just lays them bare. But I think on its own, without all the subterfuge, it's getting a bad rap for what is otherwise a pretty streamlined, popcorn sci-fi film that plays better as an rated R short circuit than Blomkamp's 3rd film of what started as a promising career.