IGNORED

Neill Blomkamp's Elysium

Goose

Thoroughly enjoyed watching it last night. Not as good as his other film, District 9, it had its problems- Krugers thick accent, Fosters annoying English and it was light on script and tension, but the hour 40 mins certainly flew by and felt the perfect length. Damon's character was meant to have a bit of conflict about him, rather then being a goody two shoes.

Of all the things wrong with it, I wouldn't say Kruger's accent was one of them. He was the star of the show for me and played brilliantly by Copley.

" EETS JUST A FLEESH WUUUUND!"

"YOU WANT TO CAM TO MY FOOKING HOUSE AND PLAY? ALRAGHT LETS FOOKIN' PLAY!"

"I'M SORREH WE CRASHED THE VEEEHICLE....AND RUINED A NICE PERSONS LOWN"

"FOOK YOUR POLITICS MAN!" (KICKS OVER BIN BARBEQUE WHILE COOKING WITH A SWORD, RAISES MIDDLE FINGER AT SPACE STATION WHILE ON EARTH)

Kruger = MVP

I thought this was pretty good, better than I expected it to be, although it's basically just a higher budget remake of District 9 really.

I loved Kruger though, for some reason I've no problems understanding him at all, I think some of the South African accent is quite like Northern Irish for reasons of which I've no idea whatsoever.

Solid 3/5.

i thought the same about Spider. what is he supposed to be? even in 2014 that guy would get rubbed out and replaced with someone actually able to command respect. he looks like the guy who looks after Johnny 5 in Short Circuit. i could kick his ass.

My film of the year too K and I highly recommend you grab this book

51etaq0bNcL.jpg

It's a tremendous collection of brilliant ideas and concept art, probably 10% of what's in the book actually made it too the screen so there's so much to love in it. There were about 12 versions of the Armadyne robots alone. I'm glad the film did good at the box office (just shy of 300 million worldwide). As I said when it first comes out it feels like a real genuine film not made by corporate decisions or 'lets make a franchise brigade'

For example

when was the last time a major summer film came out where at the 45 minute mark the head bad guy casually saunters up to the hero and stabs him in the chest, no-nonsense! what was the last major summer film where the hero actually died at the end? when was the last major film to show the bad guy eat a grenade to the face and actually show the impact and subsequent damage?

Bloody great stuff and the Data Heist scene was the best action scene last year for my money. Elysium reminds me of films that were made with heart and soul - even if they were flawed. I would take it over this slick, over produced comic book shit any day of the week.

Unfortunately the film's problems extend beyond 'thin characters'. I'm suprised to see K being so soft on the film because he likes a lot of the *stuff* in it. I liked all that stuff too, and the film is very solid, but it's got bigger problems than that lets on.

I mean I too could give a list of designs and scenarios that I loved, but none of those things make this a good film. I'd give the film 10/10 for 'stuff', but it's a rather flawed movie.

i thought the same about Spider. what is he supposed to be? even in 2014 that guy would get rubbed out and replaced with someone actually able to command respect. he looks like the guy who looks after Johnny 5 in Short Circuit. i could kick his ass.

Yeah, Spider seems like he wandered in from the set of The Big Bang Theory. Matt Damon seems like he graduated from Harvard rather than El Bastardo's Muy Shit-Scary Universidad de Libre. Matt Damon's ghetto mate seems like he works in a clothes shop. It's especially weird given that Sharlto Copley is fucking terrifying - you'd have thought they'd try to beef up the goodies a bit - but maybe they wanted that contrast to emphasise how mental Kruger was.

The fight on the industrial catwalk amongst the cherry blossoms is a real beauty as well, and full of plenty of excellent moments for Kruger. I really like William Fichtner in this as well, short as his part was, thought he had some great lines.

"Droids, there appears to be some type of wheeled vehicle with one - two occupants, they are armed - and I'd like them dead. "

Unfortunately the film's problems extend beyond 'thin characters'. I'm suprised to see K being so soft on the film because he likes a lot of the *stuff* in it. I liked all that stuff too, and the film is very solid, but it's got bigger problems than that lets on.

I mean I too could give a list of designs and scenarios that I loved, but none of those things make this a good film. I'd give the film 10/10 for 'stuff', but it's a rather flawed movie.

Well, I loved the plot, the themes, the action sequences, the visuals, most of the characters, the music, and it was pretty funny too. It's not just the stuff, although that said I will only watch films with stuff in them and weep openly if no stuff is on display. It's not perfect, but I'd rate it as solid even without taking personal preference into account; with the fact that the film fits into my taste like a protein into a receptor, it was two hours of me writhing ecstatically on the sofa.

this isn't a patch on District 9, which I really like, but both suffer from similar problems in my eyes - having setup a superbly realised premise and making me totally believe in the slum sci-fi worlds they both run out of ideas and are weak in the final thirds (far more so in Elysium's case)

Was I the only one that emphasised with the people living on Elysium? They built something decent that worked unlike earth then all the scum get let in, they shouldn't have ended the film where they did as Elysium wouldn't even last a week.

It's a poignant reminder of why immigration doesn't work, I see a similarity with Mexico and America or the UK and other continents where the ill and criminals just try and get in by any means so they can leech of hardworking natives.

• 1 year later...

I just watched this, and one thing I didn't get (apart from how they managed to make most of it so boring) is how come when all the gangsters flew up to Elysium after the main character went up (no idea what his name was), why didn't they get blasted out of the sky by the space defences?

Also, how come there were like two robot policemen on the whole of Elysium? And also...actually I could pick about a million plot holes out of it so forget all that, why didn't the gangsters get blown up? Did I miss something?

Can't wait to see Prometheus now.

Sounds odd, doesn't it? But it is.

The thing is with Elysium, it has some truly excellent bits in it. And those excellent bits amount to anything with the Elysium agent with the beard, the bit with the heist at the start, and shooting the rail gun.

Everything else is just dull. You really don't care what happens ever. And Jodie Foster has never been worse.

On the other hand, Aeon Flux is garbage pretty much consistently throughout, but it's garbage of such a visionary stylish and sexy hue with some pretty wild ideas tucked in amongst it waiting to be found that it actually makes you interested in the story. So on balance, it is a much better movie.

That's it pretty much.

But at the start, didn't they have some sort of laser cannons or something that rinsed the first two ships? Or were they both shot down by the corporate tramp?

Amazing I can't remember this, I only watched last night! Oh my days.

I'm pretty sure Trampstar One shot down the shuttles at the start as well.

If you thought that was good, you should check out Chappie. Literally every single scene involves the same kind of insane plot development as the safety tramp in Elysium.

Wow, really? I guess it's a good job that he wasn't asleep at the time. Or the bit of the Earth he was on was pointing in a different direction, or something.

I am definitely watching Chappie!