IGNORED

Neill Blomkamp's Elysium

Goose

I'd have had walled enclaves where the middle classes attempted to emulate the lives of the Elysium citizens at a lower tech level. These communities would require private armies, and it could actually be them contracted by Elysium to shoot down the shuttles. That then creates a plausible way for the protagonist to shut down Elysium's defenses from the ground, instead of Elysium simply not having any permanent defenses.

I can see what he means - black comedy, body horror, and extreme violence. They're very different films in a lot of ways, but the tone and complete lack of squeamishness of District 9 is really reminiscent of Robocop.

There is no other film made with so many accents, it's brilliant. Some accents are just normal accents, some accents are fake accents, some accents are real accents but with a lot more accent. I want to read the script written phonetically, it would be a work of art.

Ive just watched this finally on the way to work tonight. I popped in for the 1730 Showing

It was.. as everyone else is saying a strange film.

It was compelling enough to see it through to the end.... but the story was extremely weak and quite frankly all over the shop!

the effects were excellent and were up there with District 9's

I do reckon they got the lead wrong. You just dont feel anything for Matt Damons character. ( or any of the other films characters either!)

I couldnt feel any emotion in the theatre from the people around me either.

I suppose the director could have gone route 1 and placed Sharlto Copley as lead. Maybe hes not famous enough?

But.. after all said and done.... I enjoyed it!

* The Weaponry was awesome *

• 2 weeks later...

I have to thank you guys for hating this so vocally, my expectations had been so battered that I ended up quite enjoying it. The plot was a whole lot of nothing but I really liked the sets, FX, props etc. I would of course like to see Blomkamp applying himself to a much better script (i.e. get someone else to write it) but I got a good chunk of what I wanted out of it. The score annoyed me though, endless "woahhh-hoh-hooohhh-woahh-ha-woaaaahhh" grates a bit after a while :lol:

I would have really liked a load more body-horror with my transhumanism. Was this a 12A or something? :(

• 1 month later...

Watched this twice now. It's such a disappointment after District 9. I do appreciate the film was trying to tell an interesting story but the execution was flawed. Damon's character was really unlikeable and Copley was a bad fit (and totally incomprehensible).

This was also yet another film ruined by one of its trailers this summer as everything was given away.

The premise is very transparent (the 1%) and the characters are completely shallow and the film seems to be a one concept idea. As soon as the introduction of the little girl, who is sacharine sweet, is introduced that's it. Visually, it's nice and the World looks lkved in and real but it's incredibly boring and the Iron Man suit fight at the end is predictable and dull. I was really looking forward to this but it was a let down after District 9. It felt a bit short, the Che Guevera underground leader was a cliche, Damon's character was sadly as cliched and the whole film was like an unsatisfyingly quiet fart. I actually enjoyed the Total Recall remake more than this.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with most of the comments, it was a real disappointment.

I think you've got serious problems when you choose a convict as your lead character and the first thing you see him do is give backchat to police robots when there's a zero tolerance policy.

So he's a criminal asshole.

Then, he fucks up at his shitty job he's lucky to even have(should've made sure that shit was clear of the door when the consequences are so severe). So he's going to die in days and all he's interested in is saving his own ass.

Even when his closest childhood friend's daughter is dying of Lukemia, he's not interested. The story needs a way to get the girl to a med bay and our lead is such an asshole, they actually use the rapey bad guy to get them up there(and he even says later that he would've got the girl healed, maybe that's a lie but I'm not so sure).

So, at the end, the lead dies and you couldn't give two shits, he girl makes it to the med bay and gets healed, but it's just as everyone is made a citizen, so if they'd have stayed on earth she would've been fine anyway.

I mean, don't get me wrong, the 2 hours passes and I wasn't watching the clock, but that's some terrible story right there. It just falls into the classic sci-fi trap of having lots of interesting ideas which make the film worth seeing, as VFX these days is good enough to fully realise those ideas, but nothing beyond that to make you actually care.

Saw this the other night and would have written a review much less eloquent than Glasgochivas' and agree with Cheeko - pretty much nail on the head in both cases and probably with the general concensus. Haven't trawled throught the thread but it seemed in a rush to get to it's conclusion , to the film's obvious detriment.

My favourite review of Elysium .. http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/17495/elysium-movie-review/ :D

Copley creates a character that raves and rants in a thick Afrikaans accent and gives no fucks as to whether you are following it.

Even eating a bomb doesn’t stop him.

The only complaint I have is that the movie did not give him three hours in which to murder by hand or high explosive.

• 2 weeks later...

Thoroughly enjoyed watching it last night. Not as good as his other film, District 9, it had its problems- Krugers thick accent, Fosters annoying English and it was light on script and tension, but the hour 40 mins certainly flew by and felt the perfect length. Damon's character was meant to have a bit of conflict about him, rather then being a goody two shoes.