IGNORED

Neill Blomkamp's Elysium

Goose

Looks like D9 did enough to impress the executives. Moving away from Jackson producing (for now) seems a bit quick but you can't argue with creative control and a cut of the final profits I guess. Now this is greenlit, expect to hear a lot more about it in the coming weeks.

From /film

Media Rights Capital has committed to fund District 9 filmmaker Neill Blomkamp's next film, an untitled science fiction movie which will be set on another planet. MRC committed to the new project after hearing Blomkamp's pitch. Details are thin right now, but Blomkamp tells BFDealMemo that the project will "hopefully be commercial":

"Hopefully, this will be a bit unique, very much a reflection of me. It is absolutely another science fiction film, quite different from `District 9,' but some of the blending of genres and the tone might be within the same realm."

At Comic-Con this year, Blomkamp told us:

I've got one science fiction idea that I'm absolutely in love with, which I'm pretty sure is going to be my next film. 99% sure…It's totally original, it's my own story…It's set on another planet, but it's cool. It's violent, very violent, and very unique hopefully. We'll see.

The few details we have does not sound like your typical Hollywood production. Blomkamp says that the film will be more of his vision ("very much a singular film, that comes directly from me") than District 9, which was a learning experience under producer Peter Jackson, who will not be involved this time around. Bill Block will produce. The MRC deal is big because they are not only giving Blomkamp creative freedom but also an ownership stake in the finished product. That's a HUGE deal for a filmmaker to get on only his second film.

MRC will be funding the project, which will cost somewhere north of District 9's $30 million, but not a lot higher. Blompkamp has said that he's "not particularly interested in massive budget films, or creating huge spectacles that some young directors might be attracted to."

The filmmaker plans to immediately start writing and prepping the visual effects for the film, which will begin production by the middle of next year. A distributor will be found at that time. Blomkamp definitely has an option to make a District 9 sequel afterwards if that is what he wants.

OT - has the funding come back into place for Jones new project? I heard recently he was having trouble getting it funded or part funded. Hope that isn't the case.

AFAIK, there hasn't been any further update. I'd be very surprised if it all fell apart though.

EDIT: Seems it hasn't quite fallen through but has been put on the back burner while Jones directs Source Code.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Blomkamp and Copley Reteaming for Elysium

Source: Deadline

December 6, 2010

Deadline is reporting that District 9 writer/director Neill Blomkamp and star Sharlto Copley (The A-Team) are reteaming for Blomkamp's new sci-fi movie Elysium.

The site says that Elysium is "set in the far future on another planet and, like 'District 9,' is filled with many sociopolitical ideas wrapped up inside a Hollywood action film."

Blomkamp and Media Rights Capital are currently looking for a distributor, with Blomkamp including a graphic novel in his presentation to studios. District 9 was released by Sony's TriStar Pictures.

District 9, which was made for just $30 million, earned $210.8 million worldwide. The film was nominated for the Best Picture Oscar, as well as in the Adapted Screenplay, Film Editing and Visual Effects categories.

Read more: Blomkamp and Copley Reteaming for Elysium - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=72161#ixzz17MDMrNQy

• 4 weeks later...

This just stepped up another notch -

Jodie Foster has joined Neill Blomkamp's Elysium, which is set in the far future on another planet and is filled with many sociopolitical ideas.

Blomkamp, who wrote and directed District 9, is reteaming with Sharlto Copley for the sci-fi pic, which will also star Matt Damon.

The Media Rights Capital project is produced by Simon Kinberg and hasn't been shopped to studios yet.

Jodie Foster's The Beaver will hit theaters on March 23.

Read more: Jodie Foster Joins Neill Blomkamp's Elysium - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=72981#ixzz1A0Y3hZZg

• 3 weeks later...

Could this be a viral teaser for Blomkamp's next film?

Probably not but there is more about the video here.

I watched that twice before I went to bed last night and had an awesome dream about fully grown specimens escaping a facility on the roof of a large American freight train. They were about 12 foot long. The dream was also in Blomkamp's filing style. Weird but awesome.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Synopsis: In the year 2159 two classes of people exist: the very wealthy who live on a pristine man-made space station called Elysium, and the rest, who live on an overpopulated, ruined Earth. Secretary Rhodes (Jodie Foster), a hard line government official, will stop at nothing to enforce anti-immigration laws and preserve the luxurious lifestyle of the citizens of Elysium. That doesn’t stop the people of Earth from trying to get in, by any means they can. When unlucky Max (Matt Damon) is backed into a corner, he agrees to take on a daunting mission that if successful will not only save his life, but could bring equality to these polarized worlds.