League Two - Official Dressing Room

SaintM

Just a quick reminder:

* All match arrangements should be made via fixture notes on the website.

* If a match has not been played during the initial fixture week, it should be arranged and a note added to the fixture via the website to ensure the admin staff are aware of your arrangements. If a match passes the fixture week without being played and does not have a note attached it will be deemed a foul offence.

If a game becomes overdue then as League Admin I will impose sanctions based on who has made the most effort to get the game played. I'll base this purely on the fixture notes on the league website, and not from this thread.

Cheers,

sladie

Mind games begin before Dutch/German Clash

Schalke manager Alshie today issued a warning to his players not to be fooled by comments attributed to Ajax manager Nathan.

Nathan went on record to declare his Ajax side expected nothing from the forthcoming fixture but that did not wash with a furious Alshie.

Listen, I've been round the block a few times and I've heard pish like this before. The guy's sitting pretty at the top of the table and we are playing more like relegation fodder than promotion pushers. He's talking out his arse and he knows it. We'll be looking to get our promotion push back on track but expect to be given a rough ride by the league leaders.

Despite the appearance of Ivan Rakitić in several mid-week friendlies it is believed that Alshie and star forward Kevin Kuranyi(pictured) are back on speaking terms after the manager branded the player "useless" following a succession of misses in last weeks fixtures. Kuranyi has been free-scoring in training and should resume his little and large partnership with Far Fan this weekend.

art.kuranyi.gi.jpg

Kevin Kuranyi, yesterday. Cow's arse and banjo not pictured.

tbh, im not expecting anything from the games on sunday, so you will probably win

Come on nathan. 18-19 game unbeaten streak in the league how on earth can anyone talk like that. Look at me fueling the fire between Wincho! Don't just cover yourself like that lol. I want you to lose even MORE now :omg:

Trouble in the oven!

haha, i merely stated that im not expecting anything from the games, you were a league one opponent who ive heard alot of things about, all of them being good, and if your style of play is anything like ive been told, then im in trouble...

no mind games about it!!!

:omg: Interview to follow (if i can be arsed to write one :omg:)

My Fenerbahce side have been in hiding since their 8 -2 aggregate defeat to Bill Brown on Tuesday night. The resurfaced last night for a couple of ranked matches sporting a new formation which while less leaky at the back still looks like a work in progress.

This will have to be refined before next week and meetings with Slotter who was a big rival of mine for the final playoff spot last season. 2 win in the final week meant that we switched places on the last day of the season and I'll be hoping for a similar pair of results to get my season back on track after the calamity of the week gone by

Yeah that's fine man :omg: I'm in. Looking to get on top of my games before Modern Warfare 2!

Sorry jdog, I'm not going to be able to make it tonight. I'm being forced to go for beers after work. I will be about all weekend, I can do any time thats good for you, sorry to muck you about.

Sorry to double post lads - but just to reiterate!

I'm about tonight from 6 onwards al night, I'd like to play ASM, Siread and Harbey

If theres another night this week (Siread/Harbey) we can play that's fine as long as you respond. ASM our game is overdue mate - we need it doing tonight!

I've posted up notes on all 3 games so sladie doesn't come beat us with a stick but I'd like to get myself on top of the schedule.

6pm onwards - PM me, email or add a note!

The cups are treated differently, so all the organising stuff has to be done via the thread for them. The 'My status' page on the site shows what matches are to be played, both league and cups, so everyone should be aware of what they need to do.

People have two weeks to play, so don't sweat it if you don't get responses straight away. The LO will keep an eye on 'em and deliver kicks up the arse where needed :(

OneDaveBamber 2 - 0 Slotter

Slotter 1 - 4 OneDaveBamber

Grrr...hopefully I'm using up all my bad luck at the start of the season! Dave definitely deserved the bulk of the points but I was disappointed not to get at least 1 point. All the goals in both games came in the first half and the laidback Italian defence just couldn't cope with the bulk and speed of Jones and Bent so got undone on the break.

CFTG :(

PALERMO CONTINUE 100% STREAK

Palermo (jdog) 5 - 1 (ASM) Fulham

Bresciano

Miccoli

Miccoli

Zamora

Miccoli

Miccoli

This game started off like a dream - a given possesion mistake put Bresciano through on goal in the 3rd minute, followed by Miccoli within the first ten. From this point onwards, the game was completely in my favour from then on. Many of Fulhams attacks broke down as soon as they got to the forward line. Bad passing was to blame for the length of time it took Palermo to get a 3rd, near half time - an edge of the box Miccoli curler. A weak pass across the Palermo box, which both the defender and keeper should have cleared - Zamora slotted it in. An undeserved goal but a goal none-the-less. Two more finishes from Miccoli rounded off the match - one was a free kick late on.

Fulham 1 - 3 Palermo

Duff

Cavani

Miccoli

Miccoli

In complete contrast - ASM dominated this game for long, long periods. Duff was an absolute pain down the left side, managing to time and again get the ball in acres of space. I was actually lucky it took ASM to take so long to score, several attacks came before the goal - after half time? . Cavani got Palermo back in it, but still ASM could and should have went ahead with way more chances than me. A second from Miccoli seemed to finished Fulham off late on, with ASM giving up hope after I got 3-1 shortly after the restart.

Good games mate - you definately deserved to win the second game - unlucky man!

MICCOLI IN FINE FORM

miccoli3.jpg

Fabrizio Miccoli took his goal tally to 8 from 4 games, on-lookers included fellow manager NathondaBBQ, van der Smith was here to comment:

'The rest of the league have been warned, his trade-mark free kicks and link up play with Cavani have been the key to unlocking defences so far this season - I hope he keeps it up. I'm sure Nath will be quivering in his boots'

:(

Jones Sinks Unlucky Samp

_44202193_jones_pa.jpg

Sunderland (OneDaveBamber) 2-0 Sampdoria (Slotter)

This first game was very even, yet it was Sunderland who took all three points thanks to Kenwyne Jones' brace. Sampdoria arguably had more of the play and had they taken their chances, could have scored enough to beat the Mackems three times over. However, the counter-attacking style of Sunderland exploited Sampdoria's high defensive line, with Jones showing the Samp strikers how to hit the back of the net. On another day the Italians could have taken all three points, so they will be disappointed to have come away from this with nothing.

Sampdoria (Slotter) 1-4 Sunderland (OneDaveBamber)

The Italians sensed that their luck might finally be turning when they opened the scoring in this 2nd encounter after Fulop could only parry an attempted lob back into the path of the Sampdoria forward who coolly slotted home. This joy was to be short-lived when the wet conditions held up an aerial through-ball long enough for Jones to lift over the onrushing keeper. In an eventful first half, Jones then went on to add a further three goals. Sampdoria still had their chances to get back into the game but fortune just wasn't on their side as the Wearsiders played out the 2nd half with no further goals.

Cheers for the games Slotter. As I said, you were really unlucky not to get anything, you could have had three points and definitely should have had at least one. You have every right to feel frustrated as I did rob you a little! :(

PALERMO DROWN THE HOFF

david.jpg

Hoffenheim (Harbey) 2 - 5 (jdog) Palermo

Miccoli

Ibsevic

Cavani

Cavani

Miccoli

Ibsevic

Cavani

What started a very end to end game soon became a 'who will score first' scenario on a rainy day. Miccoli helped Palermo take the lead whilst Hoff quickly cancelled it out. Several attempts later and 3 in succession helped to widen the gap around both sides of the half way mark. Ibsevic again pulled another back for Hoff, Cavani finishing a debatable 2v1 situation - slightly being offside. Although a blatent penalty should have been given seconds earlier. Obasi finished the scoring!

Palermo 2 - 0 Hoffenheim

Cavani

Miccoli

Hoff took the game instantly to Palermo - the first 30 minutes of the game were completely dominated by attacks of the away team. Every Palermo attack broke down. Switching to a defensive style in order to stop players getting in behind the defence - Palermo took the lead against the run of play. The game evened itself out after this goal but a free kick was given for Miccoli to eat up once again.

Excellent games Harbey! awesome man, well played!

11 goals in 6 games for Miccoli now!

Jamie van der Smith now looks forward to this week's game against Siread with 6 wins from 6 games.

Cracking results there jdog.

I'm afraid to say it already looks like Nathan and jdog are going to run away with it, with the rest of us competing for the play-offs.

you could say that, although i dropped points yesterday as i lost a game to Alshie, so dont call it just yet...

stuck in college at the moment so cant write a match report, but will get one sorted when im home..

if no one can wait until then:

Ajax 3 - 2 Schalke

Schalke 3 - 0 Ajax

My 360 is out of action at the moment. Got some funny weird colours on the screen when I booted up yesterday so fiddled with the wires and reset only get no signal at all. I've ordered a new cable so hopefully that will sort it and I'll be up and running in a few days.

you could say that, although i dropped points yesterday as i lost a game to Alshie, so dont call it just yet...

stuck in college at the moment so cant write a match report, but will get one sorted when im home..

if no one can wait until then:

Ajax 3 - 2 Schalke

Schalke 3 - 0 Ajax

I'll fill in some of the blanks!

Ajax 3 - 2 Schalke

Oh my god, what an end to end game this was. Probably one of the most enjoyable games I've had in the league. I've spent the week honing my formation after giving up on the 4-3-3, when it worked it worked well but when it didn't I was getting overrun in midfield.

Anyway... I was quietly confident I could take something from these fixtures and began strongly trying to pin Nathan back in his own half. For the opening 10-15 minutes it was mostly Schalke as the pressure on the Ajax goalmouth mounted.

And then Nathan scored.

I couldn't believe it, a quick counter saw Pantelic (sp?) clear and although Bordon seemed to have matched his run he wasn't able to get the ball and Pantalic brushed him off to slot home. It was a quality goal, but I felt the centre half should've been stronger, he seemed to nip the ball twice but the Ajax striker was able to stand his ground, 1-0.

A horrible set-back for Schalke after a promising start, they dusted themselves down and again laid siege to the Ajax goal. The chances were coming but the Ajax defence was managing to restrict Schalke to distance shots, any time the ball broke in the box it was mopped up by the Ajax centre halfs. Still the pressure continued and surely there would be a mistake at the back for Ajax.

And then Nathan scored.

This time it was Suarez who went clear and another tidy finish into the corner saw the score 2-0. I was gutted at this point as I had played some of the best football I have this season and was 2-0 down... still, on we went.

Nathan now began to come into the game more and more and it took some solid defending and last ditch tackles to keep the score down. Ajax began to dominate the game with Schalke hanging on. Suddenly a quick ball out of defence found Kuranyi in space and he pulled away from the defence to slot home. 2-1 and a life-line for Schalke shortly before half-time.

With half-time approaching both sides had chances but it went into half-time 2-1. The teams returned for the second half with renewed vigour. Schalke knew they were back in the game and began to press, with almost immediate results. It was 2-2 shortly after the break with Kuranyi getting his second after a nice passing move. Game on. The rest of the half is a bit of a blur with chances at both ends, it really could have been 6-6 and we were both thinking it looked destined for a draw as the 90 minutes fast approached.

And then Nathan scored.

Suarez went clear, the centre half was out of position and had no hope of stopping him fairly, the keeper came to try and close the angle but Suarez clipped the ball past him into the corner and turned to celebrate with his teammates. The time on the clock, 90 minutes and the whistle went right after the kick off.

I was gutted to lose the game and gutted in the manner in which I lost. I'd also conceded in the last 5 minutes against JDog's Palermo and it looked like another bad week for Schalke.

What a game though, we both had periods where we dominated and yet both seemed to concede in those periods. it was proper end to end and a draw would've been a fair result. Well played though Nate!

Game 2

Schalke 3 - 0 Ajax

lincolcceleb_ChristofKoepse.jpg

This game looks like it was easier for me but in actual fact it was much the same as the first, we both had long spells of pressure, the only difference between us being that in this game I had the luck in front of goal and Nathan didn't.

Goals from Jones and Altintop (in for the disappointing Rakitic) before half-time saw Schalke with a good cushion but after the escapades of game one nothing was certain.

The first goal from Jones was a peach, the ball dropped at the edge of the area after being cleared and Jones took a touch and bulleted home off the post.

the second shortly before half-time came from a cross into the area, Kuranyi got the flick on and Altintop hit the ball on the half-volley. it looked like he had ballooned it over the bar but it dipped at the last minute into the top corner.

The third came from Far Fan after about 70 minutes, Ajax were pushing more and more men forward to try to rescue the game and this was perfect for the pacy Far Fan who was clear on more than one occasion, eventually he made one of them count and slotted home. At 3-0, Schalke were fairly confident they could see it out and managed to fend off sustained Ajax pressure for the last 20 minutes.

Another end-to-end game and again a draw might have been the fairer result. In the end, a win a piece and I think both of us will be happier with that than 2 draws.

Great games and chat Nate, good luck with the rest. I think Nathan and Jamie are going to end up pulling away from the pack but the play-offs look like anybodies game and we'll probably be swapping positions plenty before the end.

Sampdoria 1- 2 Fenerbahce

Şentürk 3, Pazzini10, Guiza 25

In a game made tricky by some laggy conditions, Fenerbahce came out on top in a scrappy affair at the Stadio Luigi Ferraris in Genoa with first half goals settling the outcome of the match.

Straight from the kickoff the visitors managed to cut through the Italian defence for Şentürk to open the scoring. This lead didn't last long though as Pazzini levelled things just as time entered double figures.

The Turks had a couple of chances before Guiza slotted home a close range shot to put his side ahead again and Andre Santos spurned a great opportunity to extend the lead before the break.

The second half was a very scrappy affair with fewer chances at either end and Fenerbahce were relieved to hold out for the win

Fenerbahce 0 -1 Sampdoria

Poli

Fenerbahce went into the second match full of hope of following up the win and from the start were creating chances but it was the visitors who were to take the lead around the half hour when a deep cross was met with a shot that cannoned back off the bar into the path of Poli, who after bundling through a challenge was able to force home the opener into the empty.

The Turks immediately went on the offensive and before the half was out they should have been level but a combination of poor finishing and excellent goalkeeping meant the visitors went in at half time with a slender advantage.

The second half followed a similar pattern with the home side coming close to equalising on a number of occasions but the Italian defence held firm to take all three points.

Cheers for the games mate, the first match was pretty even but I'm still baffled at how I never got anything out of that second match! Had 5 shots on target before half time and even more in the second half. I had to pile players forward and almost got caught on the break several times.

Ajax Steal 2 Points!!

(Nathan)Ajax 80.gif3-2 55.gifSchalke(Alshie)

perhaps the hardest game of Ajax's season so far saw Ajax narrowly edge it. The game kicked off with a nervous Ajax side backpeddaling after being constantly pegged back by Alshie's Schalke. A couple of wasted opportunities later and Pantelic found himself free on the counter attack to slot it past a bewildered Schalke keeper. 1-0 up, but undeservedly so. Ajax doubled their lead with an impressive piece of skill from Suarez to take it past the keeper and slot into the net. although they didnt deserve the lead, Ajax were starting to look comfortable. Manager Alshie was furious, stating that if he didnt get a goal before half time, then it was all over... and that is exactly what happened. Farfan found himself through to square along to Kuryani and his effort thundered into the back of the net... game on!!

The second half started and a rejuvinated Ajax went on attack after attack to put some distance between the teams, although as with the first half that wasnt the case and Farfan managed to level things up, and to heat the game up. The game carried on in the same way, with both teams attacking but not giving nothing away until the final minute when Alshie made a managerial blunder and positioned his players further up field. A quick 1-2 between the Ajax forwards saw Pantelic free of the defence to comfortably slot past a stranded Schalke keeper and win the game. An undeserved win from a thrilling contest that could have seen either team easily net 6 or 7.

zaterdag_8_sept_2007_luis-suarez-rechts-in-duel-met-gibril-sankoh.jpg

Suarez doubles Ajax's lead

Nathan's unbeaten league Streak finally ended!!

(Alshie)Schalke 55.gif3-0 80.gifAjax(Nathan)

The return leg in Germany was yet another classic between two opponents who didnt want to slip up. The first half started off pretty much in contrast to the last game, as it was Ajax who found themselves comfortably dominating proceedings and having chance after chance, only to make a defensive error with Schalkes first attack, with jan Vertonghen failing to clear, and giving the ball to the thankful Kuryani and putting the home side in the lead. To the delight of the home fans, Schalke doubled thier lead not long after. ajax found themselves in a 'Catch 22' situation, and needed a goal before half time to have any chance of coming back. But unlike with the first game, they were unable to do this despite a couple of close efforts. Schalke headed in with the advantage.

The second half was all Alshie as Ajax tried to shake off their poor play, but to no avail as Kuryani netted his second in the 55th minute. It surely looked to be game over for Ajax, but manager Nathan was not giving up that easily. With a quick change of tactics he posistioned his whole team further up the pitch to try and at least grab a consolation. This proved to be his wrong doing as Ajax only then managed another 2 shots for the rest of the game, and found themselves being caught out at the back again and again from the pace of Farfan and Kuryani. Game over, and Ajax suffered their first heavy defeat of the new season.

20090914092433_Vertonghen.jpg

Jan Vertonghen looks bewildered as his mistake leads to a goal

well, what can i say. Two unbelieveable games, the best ive played in the league so far! Alshie you were brilliant both games and was so unlucky to lose in the first. As you said, a win each was better than two draws which is what both games should have been. Good luck in the rest of the league and cheers for taking points off me ;)

(Sorry this is late, havent had chance to write it before now)