rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
memories

Video Games Live

The Video Games Live concert tour is going to be in Dundee at the Caird Hall on the 15th of November and tickets are on sale now, £35 & £50.

VGL website: www.videogameslive.com

Caird Hall box office: http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketPurc...organ_val=22960

It’s the closing part to the NEoN digital arts festival that is running in Dundee between the 13th and 15th of November

http://northeastofnorth.com/

Anyone been to one of these concerts before, what can I look forward too?

There are quite a few clips of them on Youtube and it looks pretty amazing, not sure what they are planning on playing at the Dundee one though.

I would suggest you don't watch the videos on YouTube. My only disappointment with seeing it last year was that I'd seen the majority of it already via the internet.

I went to the first two gigs they did in London - first was wonderful, the second less so because the setlist was 90% the same as the first time. I don't remember it costing quite so much back then, mind you. But I could be wrong.

The main letdown is the sort of people the event attracts. Hopefully I'm not about to insult half the people who look at this thread, but the second London gig was stuffed with Final Fantasy cosplayers, and someone behind me actually whispered "Oh my god!" when they started playing Aeris' theme. Plus my housemate started welling up when they played some World of Warcraft stuff, and had to wipe his eyes several times.

CHRIST.

I was interested but the prices are a bit OTT

tickets for the neon festival are a bit expensive too, didn't realise some of that'll be in the Vision building

Yeah the whole thing is far too expensive IMHO, Neon and Videogames Live. Would love to show my support but it seems like bad value for money.

I would suggest you don't watch the videos on YouTube. My only disappointment with seeing it last year was that I'd seen the majority of it already via the internet.

Yeah I have decided to stay away from youtube, watched a couple before booking tickets to see what it was like and to help me decide if I wanted to go or not.

There is no doubt its expensive, I heard about it a couple of weeks ago but the tickets only seemed to go on sale last Friday, was a bit shocked when I first saw the price and then spent the weekend humming and heying whether to go.

I figured that this might well be the only time I ever have a chance to see something like this, these sort of things never seem to come remotely close to my neck of the woods. Between that and considering I pay abuot £25-£30 for normal gig tickets at the AECC I figured I would take punt.

All adds up though, I have 130 mile round trip to there and back so there is the petrol for that, and its on a Sunday and have to get up for work at 6 on the Monday morning.

Really looking forward to it though.

The main letdown is the sort of people the event attracts. Hopefully I'm not about to insult half the people who look at this thread, but the second London gig was stuffed with Final Fantasy cosplayers, and someone behind me actually whispered "Oh my god!" when they started playing Aeris' theme. Plus my housemate started welling up when they played some World of Warcraft stuff, and had to wipe his eyes several times.

CHRIST.

:P:wub:

Hope there is not to much of that about.

The main letdown is the sort of people the event attracts. Hopefully I'm not about to insult half the people who look at this thread, but the second London gig was stuffed with Final Fantasy cosplayers, and someone behind me actually whispered "Oh my god!" when they started playing Aeris' theme.

:wub: That sums up why I hate concerts in general. It's just a place for people to pat each other on the back for liking the same music.

• Downvote 1

I'm in Paris for our 1 year wedding anniversary at the end of November and we've got tickets to go and see this whilst we're there! Really excited about it, and havn't watched more than about 5 minutes on youtube.

From the sounds of it i'm going to benefit from not being able to understand what anyone around us is saying :wub:

My only concern is that a lot of the music will go over my head - i've never played WoW and the like but i'm hoping the big hitters will make it worth while (MGS, Halo, Zelda :P)

I'm not going to NeoN, got a game to finish by Wednesday (STRESSTIME!), but I did just win a free ticket to Video Games Live through the uni! Wooh!

Not in Dundee but up in Aberdeen.

I cant wait for this. It will be my third gig in 8 days after The Proclaimers last Saturday and Kasabian last night.

To be honest I have been looking forward to this one more than the other two, and Kasabian last night was pretty damn amazing.

Anyone attending the NEoN festival then? Wondered how its gone so far. Its a shame its so pricey to get in.

We're heading down today with dev kits in hand today to let them have a crack at the multiplayer.

What a fantastic evenings entertainment this was.

Doors opened at 6:30 but I was off getting food at that point but when we came back at about 10 to 7 there was a mass of folk outside all trying to get in. Not sure why but they were letting people into the building but not into the actual auditorium so everyone was just hanging around the place.

They eventually started to let people in at about 7:20-7:25 and started off with a bit of cos-play contest. Some good efforts with the Half-Life folk looking pretty impressive but I don’t think there was ever going to be any doubt that the two young kids dressed as Link & Zelda were going to walk it, especially against the Nathan Drake which was just a guy in jeans and a shirt, quite accurate I suppose.

Main show started about 8 I think and the first section was roughly about 80 minutes long, 20 minute break and then the second section was about 45 minutes, I think, I could be a bit off with my times there as I was just really enjoying the show and it all flew by.

They did a great selection of stuff covering Retro selection (was classical music played over clips of old stuff like Frogger, Robotron etc), MGS series, Sonic, Mario, Zelda, Castlevania, Kingdom Hearts, Mega Man, Final Fantasy, Starcraft 2, WoW and Im sure a few others that Im forgetting as well.

In addition to the orchestral stuff they also had Martin Leung, the game pianist, as well. He did a Final Fantasy melody and then a Mario section, he was amazing, check out YouTube for some of his stuff. The speed of his hands on the Mario stuff was awesome as he kept speeding up like the Mario tunes do when the timer is getting low, stunning. Tommy Tallarico then got the audience to shout out games and he played them, some Mario 3, Tetris and Monkey Island tunes.

There was also a couple of fun sections as well, they did a human Space Invaders game where they got someone out of the audience and she was the cannon along the bottom and moved by running back and forth along the stage.

There was also a Guitar Hero section. There was a competition earlier in the day and the winner was brought on stage. The challenge was for him to play Aerosmith's Sweet Emotion on hard and to beat 125,000 points and whilst he was playing Tommy would play along on a real guitar. The kid turned round and said that hard would be too easy and to put it onto expert. He was immense though, he was playing this song whilst not even looking at the note chart up on screen but looking at the audience, amazing stuff. He beat the score but didn't 100% the song, credit to him though.

Tommy Tallarico was a really good host too, had a good crack with the audience and played along with the orchestra for a few sections towards the end, great rendition of the Halo theme with him on guitar.

On the downside, there were a few empty seats, I heard people saying that it hadn't been well advertised which was a shame as it really deserved some good promotion and for it to be a full house.

From a non-gamers point of view, the wife thought it was ok, she isnt a gamer and is not into music in general either but she came with me because none of my mates would. She thought the first part was ok though as even as a non gamer she knows about Sonic and Mario and she liked that they had the big projection screen as it gave her something to watch, not so much for the second part though as she didn't know anything at all. She also didn't get a lot of the "in" jokes that gamers will easily pick up on. To be honest she came along for me more than anything so gotta love her for that.

Told my mate about it today as he would have loved it, think he is a bit gutted he didn’t come along now.

My only other negative was I had to drive back up to Aberdeen afterwards, I didn't get home until the back of 12 and I was up for work at 6 this morning, been a long day today.

All in all it was a great evening, it was fantastic to see/hear this music performed by the orchestra and it was also a fun show to watch. Hopefully this will return next year, will definitely be getting a ticket if it does.

Anyone go to any of the rest of the Neon stuff? Worth bothering with?

Thanks for the write-up, memories, sounded like it was pretty good.

The Caird Hall is very impressive for acoustics, it's a pity that it wasn't full (although I didn't go either, probably due to the advertising side of it) but it does hold around 2,500 people (iirc). I've been at a few bigger name gigs and it hasn't sold out, so it's not really surprising, I guess. Lets hope it comes back again for another year.

Oooooh I hope I can get a torrent of that at some point.

Saw them in Dundee a few years ago, great stuff. Had to shush a few Half-life fanboys that were chatting right behind me during the Halo sequence, not that I'm a big fan of that game, but the music is great and I paid to hear it.