IGNORED

Japanese megadrive issue (strange problem)

F-zero

Hi all, i've run into a bit of a problem with a japanese megadrive.

For some strange reason my controller won't work in thunderforce 4 or should i say it won't work in game.

I can select the order of the stages, then when i go into the game my ship is stuck at the back of the screen, i can fire, change weapons but the D-pad won't work.

Has anybody experienced anything like this before?

All other games work and i know it isn't the game as i've tried it on another megadrive.

Is it possible that uk controllers just won't work on a japanese megadrive with some games?

Thanks.

I know that the 6 button pad doesn't work with some titles - Golden Axe 2 being the only one I've actually come across myself - but if you tried it with both a 3 button and 6 button pad then I'd assume it's your machine that is at fault. Perhaps there's a dodgy connection somewhere inside?

It's certainly one of the more unusual faults I've heard of.

I have access to the american and japanese versions of the game and both show the same fault.

I have also tried both with my other megadrive and they work just fine with the same controllers.

I need someone with a japanese console, the game and a uk controller to see if i can isolate the problem.

I think my Megadrive is actually from Hong Kong, but I tried it with a UK copy of TFIV and a UK pad and it worked fine. Not sure what the difference would be between a Hong Kong and Japanese machine though, so I don't know if that's any use.

This sort of issue reminds me of a strange one I had a few months back with Legend of Mana on the PS1. The game works perfectly and it is actually a copy but working on a modded ps1. For some reason, at one particular point, if you try talking to a certain person (stone god), he picks you up and when he puts you back down the game acts as though nothing has happened, but you lose control of the character. It isn't even like a freeze because the music is still playing. I thought it might have been the CD but it worked fine on a friends PS2. I went back to this same point several times since it first happened on my console and it still fails at that point on my console only.

This sort of issue reminds me of a strange one I had a few months back with Legend of Mana on the PS1. The game works perfectly and it is actually a copy but working on a modded ps1. For some reason, at one particular point, if you try talking to a certain person (stone god), he picks you up and when he puts you back down the game acts as though nothing has happened, but you lose control of the character. It isn't even like a freeze because the music is still playing. I thought it might have been the CD but it worked fine on a friends PS2. I went back to this same point several times since it first happened on my console and it still fails at that point on my console only.

Try copying the disk and seeing if you re-create the error. (maybe copy the disk at 8-12x so you get a good burn)

Could be worth a shot.