Any Fantasy recommendations?

On 03/09/2020 at 10:32, Timmo said:

Finally got round to reading Prince of Thorns. Very imaginative but too many characters with not enough development and some of Jorg's actions just felt nasty for the sake of it. I also found it a bit of a stretch that a 13/14 year old boy was such a good fighter. Not sure if I'll bother with the rest of the series.

not sure age means the same thing in that world as it does in this. It’s worth sticking with, at least through king of thorns, but then I’ve liked all of Lawrence’s books (with perhaps a few scenes in the thorns trilogy dragging) until his latest (the girl and the stars, which is only redeemed by the final scene, and for which - given that Lawrence doesn’t plot in advance - I’m not sure he’d really earned it...)

• 1 month later...

Broken Empire was one of the first things I picked up after ASOIAF when trying to get into modern fantasy and I remember really loving it. It's not a new trick but the whole building sympathy for the anti-hero with a traumatic background thing I thought was really nicely done and found myself rooting for him despite myself by the end. And to be honest I think he remains one of my favourite main characters in fantasy. Maybe it's a bit over the top with the whole violent teenage revenge fantasy stuff, but I didn't really notice to be honest :). The setting and background of the world and the way that Jorg discovers and manipulates that to his advantages was very interesting and inventive to me too. Most memorably by getting his hands on a certain thing at the end of book 2! (if I remember correctly!)

On 06/07/2020 at 06:27, footle said:

Sixteen Ways to defend a walled city: a somewhat unexpected ending, even for Parker/Holt. Be interesting to see what the sequel does in August: it could be amazing as a concept for a series, but the advance reviews don’t really touch on what would make it amazing so...

Seventeen Ways to Rule an Empire was of a similar bent, in terms of a hyper-competent protagonist (an actor this time!) somehow managing to lurch from one crisis to another without getting himself killed. I still enjoyed it but I have to admit that I preferred the first book. 

The ending was also unexpected to a certain extent but made sense given the situation. I also liked that some of the foreshadowing was lampshaded, which draws attention away from the foreshadowing that is not, but YMMV. 

I need to finish reading Father of Lies at some point as it's been sitting around for a few months now but as that is the last unread Parker book left (my copy of Academic Exercises is in the UK and the copy of Savages I'd expected a former colleague to bring over is stuck in the US :hmm:) I'm inclined to read it slowly.

17 hours ago, John0 said:

Broken Empire was one of the first things I picked up after ASOIAF when trying to get into modern fantasy and I remember really loving it. It's not a new trick but the whole building sympathy for the anti-hero with a traumatic background thing I thought was really nicely done and found myself rooting for him despite myself by the end. And to be honest I think he remains one of my favourite main characters in fantasy. Maybe it's a bit over the top with the whole violent teenage revenge fantasy stuff, but I didn't really notice to be honest :). The setting and background of the world and the way that Jorg discovers and manipulates that to his advantages was very interesting and inventive to me too. Most memorably by getting his hands on a certain thing at the end of book 2! (if I remember correctly!)

My favourite anti-hero protagonist that you end up rooting for is Ballas in Ian Graham's Monument. Lean prose in the style of Gemmell but such an utter bastard of a character. It's a one-off which is good news for anyone not willing to invest in a series but sadly Graham has written nothing since then.

Edit: So I idly checked Goodreads and it turns out that he wrote a duology back in 2016, which was 14 years after Monument came out!)

In terms of epic modern fantasy, I've finally managed to acquire the main Malazan series and I'm just summoning the will to read through all ten consecutively as it's going to take me months.

@Talvalin Oh yeah I'm feeling the slog of everything being a three party series a bit at the moment actually. I've tried The Court of Broken Knives and The Tiger and the Wolf recently and I liked both but still not sure I really fancy three books of either. After I've finished the latter and devoured The Trouble With Peace I'll give that a go thanks!

The Broken Knives sequel does mix things up in fairness. It's not a retread of the first book. I've got the third but haven't read it so can't comment on what happens there. 

I've started reading Abercrombie's new one The Trouble With Peace. I like it so far, I think he's the most readable of all the contemporary fantasy authors. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've not read them but they are supposed to be good. The first Kindle collection was going for 99p a long while back which I completely missed, so it's possible that the collection will go on sale again at some point. Maybe.

As an aside, all four of the books in Garth Nix's Old Kingdom series are going for a mere 99p each and are well worth a read. I remember that the series peaked with the first book, but at that price I'm happy to re-read them and to read the fourth book as well.

https://amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00W6QRQZ8?ref_=dbs_dp_rwt_sb_tukn&binding=kindle_edition_av

On 09/10/2020 at 07:58, Talvalin said:

My favourite anti-hero protagonist that you end up rooting for is Ballas in Ian Graham's Monument. Lean prose in the style of Gemmell but such an utter bastard of a character. It's a one-off which is good news for anyone not willing to invest in a series but sadly Graham has written nothing since then.

Edit: So I idly checked Goodreads and it turns out that he wrote a duology back in 2016, which was 14 years after Monument came out!)

In terms of epic modern fantasy, I've finally managed to acquire the main Malazan series and I'm just summoning the will to read through all ten consecutively as it's going to take me months.

Oh god, don’t read all ten consecutively. You’ll go nuts.

Read Gardens, then Deadhouse Gates, then take a break.

some light relief: there’s a load of books by a guy called Esslemont...

(I did go through about five to seven Esslemont books back to back last year, path to ascendency then through as far as failing to read orb sceptre throne again, but they are much lighter going).