IGNORED

Retro Gamer 69

Goose

Mario next month? Gah, and you were all doing so well...

Why? Are you going to be one of the idiots that says "Mario's in the mag all the time" when there have only been three or four Mario-specific articles in over five years? Or because you're daft enough to think that the magazine shouldn't cover one of the most iconic characters in gaming?

I was half-joking, to be honest. They proved with the Pac-Man and Space Invaders pieces that they could now take a well-trodden path and still make it an interesting read.

And it's infinitely preferable to hearing about Matt Smith all the fucking time.

• 2 weeks later...

My issue finally turned up here in NZ - just in time for a business trip to Melbourne. I'll have fun explaining this one to my colleagues on the flight...

Looks like a top issue, enjoyed the Syndicate feature hugely - forgot how well the graphics had aged. Glad to see it's generally acknowledged that the American Revolt datadisk was fecking impossible. Looking forward to reading about Cabal - that was one of those Speccy Gems that you found on a copied compilation tape and had no idea where it came from.

Question - did the shiny finish on the cover with far-too-well hidden labels for the FF characters which only show if you have a precise 39.45 degree angle to the light cost extra? I think it's a bit too subtle to be worth it.

Mario next month? Gah, and you were all doing so well...

I think a bit of a Mario special would be quite nice, especially if they managed to cover all of the off-shoot games (apart from Mario Party)- in particular to the ones where Mario has made some kind of cameo. Now that would be some research!!! I'll start it off- Alleyway on the GB....

It would tie in very nicely to the build up to NSMB Wii....

Anyway- another brilliant issue, and Retro Shamer definitely needs to be brought back to life!

Question - did the shiny finish on the cover with far-too-well hidden labels for the FF characters which only show if you have a precise 39.45 degree angle to the light cost extra? I think it's a bit too subtle to be worth it.

Yes, I thought that! When I spotted them by chance a few days ago I wasn't sure if I was seeing things. I am now going to go back through my entire collection of old gaming magazines to see if there are any other secret words embossed on the covers...

• 1 month later...
Amazingly, I was mistaken. I couldn't see any obvious issues (I did object to a comment in the X-2 section though :D

Thats because it was shit as a hardware platform. It's inherently flawed in it's security system, making large quantitys of games unplayable.

While there may not have been any in the FF retrospective, there was in the Combat article. Combat had nothing to do with Coleco's Telstar Combat, as Darren erroneously reported. Combat, and specifically the tanks part of Combat (since that's what he's actually talking about in the article) was the proof of concept game for the 2600 in it's development (1975-77), and the very first cartridge developed for the console (hence the pack-in status). Coleco's Telstar Combat was first released in 1977. Likewise, the tank game variations in Combat (invisible tanks and mazes, guided missiles, etc.) were all games available in the arcade Tank II (1975), Tank 8 (1976), and Ultra Tank (1977).

This is a problem I usually have every issue with that magazine, the fact checking and synthesis of material based on hind site.

While there may not have been any in the FF retrospective, there was in the Combat article. Combat had nothing to do with Coleco's Telstar Combat, as Darren erroneously reported. Combat, and specifically the tanks part of Combat (since that's what he's actually talking about in the article) was the proof of concept game for the 2600 in it's development (1975-77), and the very first cartridge developed for the console (hence the pack-in status). Coleco's Telstar Combat was first released in 1977. Likewise, the tank game variations in Combat (invisible tanks and mazes, guided missiles, etc.) were all games available in the arcade Tank II (1975), Tank 8 (1976), and Ultra Tank (1977).

This is a problem I usually have every issue with that magazine, the fact checking and synthesis of material based on hind site.

That's the problem with reporting on old games, there's always someone who knows more than you and we can't afford to employ all of them. Well done for pointing that out, we'll correct it if it ever appears in a future bookazine.

I think a bit of a Mario special would be quite nice, especially if they managed to cover all of the off-shoot games (apart from Mario Party)- in particular to the ones where Mario has made some kind of cameo. Now that would be some research!!! I'll start it off- Alleyway on the GB....

It would tie in very nicely to the build up to NSMB Wii....

Anyway- another brilliant issue, and Retro Shamer definitely needs to be brought back to life!

I'd actually be quite interested to read a Making of Mario Party (the N64 original), particularly because there must have been some interesting thought processes in developing the minigames at a time when there weren't many games of that style around...

I'd actually be quite interested to read a Making of Mario Party (the N64 original), particularly because there must have been some interesting thought processes in developing the minigames at a time when there weren't many games of that style around...

Hudson did all of the Mario Party games, so I might be able to do something there...

That's the problem with reporting on old games, there's always someone who knows more than you and we can't afford to employ all of them. Well done for pointing that out, we'll correct it if it ever appears in a future bookazine.

Strider/Darran - having been the site admin and content editor for ClassicGaming.Com for many years, as well as a professional writer and historian, I'm well aware of what it takes to be thorough and the pressures of a deadline. I appreciate the amount of content that needs to be generated each issue for the mag and the work that goes in to it. Unfortunately, this issue has been a common problem in the magazine since even before you took over. That's the conundrum though - you certainly want to support it, but the errors can be extremely frustrating. I find myself looking at every issue for what people got wrong as much as I look for new and interesting content (which there's a lot of great stuff every issue). I have to question these things seriously, because I take these matters seriously. Once something of a historical nature goes in to print, people take it as fact and as a reference - something that can ripple and take years to undo. A perfect example of being frustrated is the Amiga retrospective several issues ago. Lots of good info, pictures, etc., yet almost the entire section of the article on Amiga's dealings with Atari, save for like one sentence, is wrong. It almost reads like it was haphazardly pulled in from several different sources mixed with the author's confusion on which Atari they are talking about (Atari Inc. and Atari Corp. were two separate companies) . And while I appreciate that not everyone who contacts the magazine with a tidbit can be employed, I've also reached out to you and your predecessors many times over the years to help out on fact checking, etc., only to get silence - and I'm not exactly some unknown when it comes to this field. Which can be even more frustrating to someone who's glad your magazine exists and want to see it keep getting better.

I'm not trying to "fuck him up", I'm sincerely interested in quality with regards to fact checking. I.E. improvement, not tearing someone or something down.

See here's the thing. Under an alias I have absolutely no idea who you are, although I do recall a martyg from NTSC. It's entirely possible that you have contacted me in the past, but I certainly can't recall anyone offering their services, and if you did then I apologise.

The thing to remember however is that Retro Gamer isn't exactly Edge and if I spent my budget on having a historian proof the mag each month there wouldn't be anything in there to actually check. Yes I can appreciate that this is highly frustrating for those out with insane knowledge about a particular game, machine or genre, but there's little I can actually do to change this. Still if you have any advice on how the odd factual inaccuracies can be eradicated then feel free to either pm me or contact me at my usual address, I'll certainly be interested in hearing them.

See here's the thing. Under an alias I have absolutely no idea who you are, although I do recall a martyg from NTSC. It's entirely possible that you have contacted me in the past, but I certainly can't recall anyone offering their services, and if you did then I apologise.

The thing to remember however is that Retro Gamer isn't exactly Edge and if I spent my budget on having a historian proof the mag each month there wouldn't be anything in there to actually check. Yes I can appreciate that this is highly frustrating for those out with insane knowledge about a particular game, machine or genre, but there's little I can actually do to change this. Still if you have any advice on how the odd factual inaccuracies can be eradicated then feel free to either pm me or contact me at my usual address, I'll certainly be interested in hearing them.

Darran, just emailed you via your imagine-publishing address. Unfortunately, this forum doesn't allow pm's until you hit 50 posts. No, not that Martyg, I've emailed you before at your address and of course posted on the forums in the past (Marty "Retro Rogue" Goldberg) regarding some of this. Not a problem, no apologies needed, just glad to be getting a response.

I'm not trying to "fuck him up", I'm sincerely interested in quality with regards to fact checking. I.E. improvement, not tearing someone or something down.

At least throw a verbal punch or two...

Oh, and are you the guy who ran classicgaming.com in the late '90s? There was a guy who ran the site around then, and he was really awesome, with useful updates all over the place. Then he left... and the rot began...

Oh, and are you the guy who ran classicgaming.com in the late '90s? There was a guy who ran the site around then, and he was really awesome, with useful updates all over the place. Then he left... and the rot began...

That would be Kevin "Fragmaster" Bowen or William "Wing King" Cassidy. I was there during their tenure, then GameSpy decided to cut some of it's funding of the site during the tech bubble burst and staff was cut more and more until it was just me (no budget, staff of one responsible for everything). Kevin came back for a short time in '07 because they were going to turn it in to a Wii virtual console type site, and I moved to a volunteer status to make sure the site didn't completely close up. I'm still there as a volunteer, writing articles in my spare time.

Nice. I did wonder why it all went pretty rubbish.

Well, mailbag got canned when they decided we needed a forum. Reader submissions stopped coming in for articles, there was no more news staff, no staff for the museum or emulators anymore, etc. Just me and the articles I wrote, and whatever news updates I had time for.