IGNORED

Photo realistic graphics finally here?

Ketchup

500x_tgscrash.jpg

I saw this image on Kotaku and at first thought it was an actual photo of a real life car. It's not but it looks very convincingly like it is. There are some issue that make it stand out but for the most part, especially the car, it looks photorealistic.

I wonder if we are there now?

500x_tgscrash.jpg

I saw this image on Kotaku and at first thought it was an actual photo of a real life car. It's not but it looks very convincingly like it is. There are some issue that make it stand out but for the most part, especially the car, it looks photorealistic.

Cars are easier to do than peeps, innit.

Also see: Wii!

Ergo - photorealism is a dream perhaps we don't want.

1000 artists making 1000 faces making 1000 expressions. £50000000000000000 plz

500x_tgscrash.jpg

I don't think he is. That screenshot just looks like a game to me. No way I would confuse it with the real thing.

I'm pretty eager for photorealistic in game graphics, mostly because I'm curious as to what the response will be once it's possible. I'm kinda hoping we'll see something like the abstraction of painting in response to photography.

/wankhat

We've had photorealism for ages, silly.

mad_dog_mccree.jpg

Also, I can recommend a good optician for you.

:eyebrows:

I was going to post Mad Dog, or the Time Travelling one that i posted!

Fuck photorealism anyway.

i want my games to move in real time like this:

Ok.. we have Uncharted and Resident Evil 4 /5

but they still dont move right.

Photorealism might be fine for turgid, masturbatory snore fests like Gran Turismo

But it's certainly not something all games should be aspiring to.

Post of the year. This. Etc.

Honestly, I completely agree... the rampant drive to achieve ultra-realism is detrimental to gaming. Instead, take the hardware you've got and get the most out of it and use different art styles to achieve more abstract or interesting environments. See Wind Waker and Metroid Prime. Games that have barely aged.

Oh...

and realism spoiled GTA IV too...

Post of the year. This. Etc.

Honestly, I completely agree... the rampant drive to achieve ultra-realism is detrimental to gaming. Instead, take the hardware you've got and get the most out of it and use different art styles to achieve more abstract or interesting environments. See Wind Waker and Metroid Prime. Games that have barely aged.

Oh...

and realism spoiled GTA IV too...

While it still looks good, Metroid Prime clearly has aged quite a bit.

While it still looks good, Metroid Prime clearly has aged quite a bit.

Dunno... playing it recently and, of course, it's no GoW - but it's not a bad looking game and, given the art style and design, it can still impress even today... now, if it were in HD etc it would look *amaze*.

I'd love to see what Retro could do given a powerful piece of kit.