IGNORED

EDGE Writes Reviews. So Does games tm

Blue

I was in the newsagent where I used to get my speccy mags the other day. They still have the same shelves behind the counter where they used to stack the cover tapes, but they've got random tat on them now. I played some quality games off those shelves.

Good times.

It's a serious question btw. I read both, always have and I tend to think games tm misses the essence of games quite often and also tend to score a little too high. Edge's reviews suffer from being a little too obscure at times and the text sometimes doesn't seem to match up to the score, yet I think they do get to the heart of a game better than games tm.

Please stop stalking me, JohnC, you're getting scary now.

Well, EDGE is a parody of EDGE circa 1995 and GamesTM is a parody of EDGE's parody of EDGE. So it's all relative.

Quite true, that. I used to be quite chatty with the original games tm crew, on the forum they introduced the idea of the mag to and the idea was to steer clear of Edge's pretentiousness - make it more plain speaking and down to earth - but they do seem to have drifted ever closer to Edge in much of the mag's format and style, over the years.

I was in the newsagent where I used to get my speccy mags the other day. They still have the same shelves behind the counter where they used to stack the cover tapes, but they've got random tat on them now. I played some quality games off those shelves.

Good times.

I went into my newsagent that I used to have your sinclair ordered for me and got chatting to the guy who still works there after all these years. He remembered my name, address and the exact month I switched from the Transformers comic to Your Sinclair. It was February 1989.

But back on topic, It's like Quo said: you pay your money, you take your choice. Personally, it's Edge for me but not for the reviews. They can annoy me sometimes with their brutal dismissal of some pretty sparky games.

Please stop stalking me, JohnC, you're getting scary now.

:D What? Stalking? You want me to move to a different forum? Otherwise, I'm sure we will end up in the same threads. I'm sure I'm also not the only person who is in the same threads as you, so I'm not sure why you pick me out. Paranoia?

:D What? Stalking? You want me to move to a different forum? Otherwise, I'm sure we will end up in the same threads. I'm sure I'm also not the only person who is in the same threads as you, so I'm not sure why you pick me out. Paranoia?

Say what you want about me, but I'm far from stupid, or paranoid. Our views were different in A&F. I fully accept that you are entitled to yours, so if you could show me the same courtesy, rather than putting me down at every opportunity because you hold some stupid grudge over what was my considered opinion, that would be nice.

Edge reviews are readable well after a game's release. Gtm's aren't. That's the mark of the difference in quality.

Yeah, I tend to agree.

They're very caught up in the moment, and they very often tend to oversell a game rather than attempting to simply critique it. I guess I agree with the person who said Edge get to the heart of and understand games better, but I can't find a way to articulate why that's the case. Obviously, there is a a wide spread of quality and incisiveness in both mags, there always will be in critical writing across different authors and products. It's not the position of a critic (especially when they're anonymous so have no established relationship with the readership) to act as a buying guide, in my opinion. A simple aim of critical analysis is worthier and stands the test of time better.

Say what you want about me, but I'm far from stupid, or paranoid. Our views were different in A&F. I fully accept that you are entitled to yours, so if you could show me the same courtesy, rather than putting me down at every opportunity because you hold some stupid grudge over what was my considered opinion, that would be nice.

Any grudge is in your imagination. It matters not who started this thread, which has been done to death many times already. Most Edge and GamesTM scores threads seem to have some of this in it too. It's as bad as all the other XvY threads ever. I don't seem to be the only one who thought this.

And what weere all these other opportunities I put you down? I honestly can't remember. Grudge, my arse.

It's as bad as all the other XvY threads ever.

You, nor anyone else need reply in it, and mods are free to delete it if they feel it inappropriate, but for those willing to respond with more than a facepalm gif, you never know what points of interest just might be raised.

Like I said, I read both mags. My other half and I disagree on which has the better reviews and I'm interested in other opinions. Can you live with that?

You just have to look at Valkyria Chronicles to work out which mag does better reviews.

EDGE gave it a 7 and the text showed they clearly hadn't played it. EDGE is garbage.

(EDIT: for a variety of reasons, not just their reviews)

GamesTM is OK, though it depends who does the actual review - most people don't seem to realise this. Most reviews are done by the mag's staff, the rest are done by in-house or external freelancers. I used to write reviews for GamesTM, and I was never officially on the mag's staff list.

You can't really judge a magazine by its reviews (I realise this sounds absurd, but stay with me here), since the reviews will be done by around a dozen or more people, sometimes in a rush before deadline The better approach would be to ask who is the better writer? Sadly though, both magazines hide who the review authors are. Generally though, I know I trust certain writers, but not others. It used to sadden me when they gave reviews of certain games to people who excessively hated/loved the genre, since that always resulted in skewed scores, but you wouldn't realise this since the author was anonymous.

If you want a decent multiformat mag, buy Dave Halverson's PLAY. All review authors are credited, so you know why a certain feature, review, preview and so on, was covered in the way it is. If you hide who your writers are, your magazine will end up schizophrenic, self-contradictory and open to criticism for lack of consistency. Or you could force them all to write the same way, but the result is dry and passionless, with witless writing trying to conform to certain guidelines rather than informing or exciting the reader. It loses all life, and for what? So that you can stand there po faced and claim the magazine is some kind of autonomous entity, like EDGE.

I used to hate Games with a vengence having disagreed badly with a couple of their reviews in the (now increasingly dim and distant) past and have always subscribed to Edge for yonks. That said I do think that Edge's reviews, especially of the less mainstream games, are looking dodgier and dodgier nowadays and that's not necessarily judging them by the scores either - you wonder whether some of the games are actually being played properly or whether the reviewer is cobbling something together from a mixture of playing it, PR stuff and other on-line comments all with the minimum of fuss and effort.

Last month I bought Games for the first time in a long while and really enjoyed the magazine. Can't really recall the reviews that much though but I was definitely impressed with their games preview section which seemed to come up with two or three games that really sparked my interest.

So... I've no idea which does the better reviews but Games previews are looking good and Games doesn't include a 100 weight of crap developer stuff that I have absolutely no interest in at all. Oh and neither does frigging N'gai whatshisface write for them and neither do they have a perrenially boring Hi I'm Randy article. Edge badly badly need to bring back Mr Biffo!