Professor Layton And The Spectre's Call

My copy arrived from VG+ yesterday. I'm enjoying it even if Emmy does have a wierd accent. Haven't put much time into London Life but from the few minutes I've played it is very much like the start of Animal Crossing with you being sent on errands to meet the people in the town.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've never played any of the Layton games, where would be a good place to start? I know typically one would start with the first game, but I've been hearing that The Lost Future is very good with a great story. I'm not particularly planning to play them all, just wanted to jump in and get a taste and wanted people's opinions. Thanks!

I've never played any of the Layton games, where would be a good place to start? I know typically one would start with the first game, but I've been hearing that The Lost Future is very good with a great story. I'm not particularly planning to play them all, just wanted to jump in and get a taste and wanted people's opinions. Thanks!

I've played the first three games and they're all pretty much on a level - there haven't been any major improvements over the series. It's a bit like the Pheonix Wright games - you keep buying the new ones for more of the same, because once you're done with them there's not a whole lot of replay value.

Also like Pheonix Wright, although the plots of the individual games stand alone, there are a lot of regular characters and callbacks so you'd probably be best off starting with Curious Village.

By the way, whoever's told you that The Lost Future has a great story is probably getting your hopes up a bit too much. The story isn't really the point of the Layton games, and although the characters and dialogue can be fun, the actual plots rarely make any sense.

• Upvote 2

Hmm fair enough. Thanks for the replies. What's the general opinion on the newest game? Also, I heard about these weekly download puzzles - are they still available to download?

I'm playing it right now - its excellent with a good mystery and some excellent puzzles.

Hmm fair enough. Thanks for the replies. What's the general opinion on the newest game? Also, I heard about these weekly download puzzles - are they still available to download?

Yes. So are the ones from previous games - you'll just get them all at once :)

Curious Village is still my favourite story because it's nonsensical while still actually retaining a bit of "that could really happen."

Unwound Future and Last Spectre are pretty good yarns but they lose that aspect, and so the "reveals" feel a bit lame because they still feel a bit like "wait, that doesn't explain anything."

I can't even remember the other game because it was shit.

As for puzzles, Curious Village wins it again. The second game which I can't remember was full of fucking peg solitaire puzzles and felt really, really unvaried. As if there was about five puzzles in the whole game and they were just tweaked 30 times each or something. "Hey, it's peg solitaire again but this time there's one peg more!" Unwound Future and Last Spectre are both better for puzzles, but neither quite as good as Curious Village. UF and LS have better minigames than CV, though.

Was it the second one that had the tea minigame? Fuck that shit.

Basically you can't really go wrong with any of them other than whatever the second one was, but I'd certainly go with Curious Village if I was to only play one.

I got the Last Specter from the US on the weekend of release. I've played about half of it. Then Mario Kart 7 arrived, and I've forgotten what was going on.

I'll go back to it, I'm sure - I love Layton. But I found this one to be a bit too slow and tiresome moving around the bigger world.

• 11 months later...

London Life is gorgeous, as I hoped it might be. Like Earthbound, I like that it's set in a town environment over Animal Crossing/Harvest Moon/My Sim's more genre-typical pastoral environs. I can't comment on the Layton Main game - I love the series' aesthetic but have never enjoyed playing them - so this was a LL purchase for me, really. Staplehead, you'll love it, I reckon. Some quiet moments of wit in the writing, too.

Hey, I found a US copy of this hanging about on the shelves at Grainger games, so now I finally get to live the London Life! :D

• 6 years later...

Just completed this finally (the main quest at least)! Some of the puzzles are quite unclear (frustrating) (perhaps this is unfair on the designers, probably tough to try to think of new puzzles), but a great game! Have racked up 15 hours on it so far, with about 30 remaining puzzles still to complete.

Shame about London Life, huh (not on EU version)! I've got the EU version, but when this is an amazing potentially 100 hour+ (side)game set in London. where I frequent often - to get the American version also is quite tempting!

4RfMCnQ.png

• Upvote 1
39 minutes ago, Rob Rule said:

London Life is well worth it, i bought it just for that and loved it.

10 minutes ago, Sprite Machine said:

Conversely, I played a little bit of London Life and found it astonishly dull and not worth the effort of importing.

I thought London Life was included in the EU version when I bought it to begin with - was so annoyed to find out that it wasn't after all!

Am considering buying the import version...but on Amazon, one used version for £140.27, and one new version for £166.28...? Hmm.

Also, it's just simply out of stock on Play Asia. Oh dear! Will have to do more research it seems...

£12.99 - Cartridge only: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nintendo-DS-Professor-Layton-and-the-Last-Specter-Game-CARTRIDGE-ONLY/174005468437

Perhaps will purchase it...I loved RPGs growing up, but being so inundated with study these days, the only games I prefer to play now are kind of quick-fire puzzle games. I'm worried that London Life might be too much of a time sink for my liking (100 + hours? when the main storyline of the game, and about 130/160 puzzles completed is at about 15 hours?)(it does look amazing though)...might just try another classic Layton game perhaps (at least for the time being)... 

Anyway, thanks for the advice everyone though!