IGNORED

Ru Paul's Drag Race

mechamonkey

JPL watch the first episode of the first UK series (if it's still on iplayer) and go from there. You need to go in with an open mind, accept that at first it's just going to seem like a thosand identikit drama queens all screaming over eachother - and that's ok. Your brain is confused and doesn't know what to make of it yet. Soon the charima uniqueness nerve and talent will come into view and you will just slide in. You'll have your favourites. You'll have your villains. You'll learn some lingo. You'll have some laughs. And you'll be addicted. Once it clicks, there's no going back.

• 2 weeks later...

Totally agree. I really don’t get the love for LC; she started brightly but became increasingly unsure of herself, and worse, really whiny over the stand-up show running order, showing a nasty, bullying edge towards Ellie. On a side note, glad that Ru and Michelle both told Ellie she did the right thing with that in their sit down together.

Was thinking the winner announcement was Drag Race’s version of La La Land/Moonlight at the Oscars and Ru had said the wrong name.

LC is a good drag act; Bimini is a star.

I was shocked as well. There are a couple of possibilities I can think of:

- They were spooked a bit by Bimini's ACAB tweet earlier this week. They film all of the finalist's winning and then choose which crowning version to press play on right at the last minute. Bimini had the momentum, the narrative of bottom to top, the track record, the public opinion. But she's probably more of a livewire and definitely more political. Lawrence is the safe, breakfast morning TV, inoffensive queen to pick.

- A lot more interest would be garnered bringing Bimini back for a future All Stars season than Lawrence. All Stars is such a big deal now it's inevitable that a UK version will come eventually (rumours are actually that there will be an international version) and it's something they likely keep in mind also. If you favourite misses out on winning the main season the consolation is that you will very likely to get to see them again in All Stars which in a way is better for those queens since they get a whole second wave of exposure.

Bimini and Tayce are undoubtedly the break-out stars of the show even though Tayce was never really going to win. To be honest it might be better for them that they're not shackled to making some low-quality web series for World of Wonder that no-one watches.

Excellent points Majora, there is rarely, if ever, a ‘loser’ on Drag Race. Do really like that the show rightly avoids the term entirely, another reason why it’s one of the most uplifting shows on TV.

Really hope there is an international version of All Stars, the British girls would have a ball on that!

Good to see Veronica back too, she’s a stunning queen :wub:

Also would be nice for the British queens to get on All Stars so they have a chance of winning an actual cash money prize and not just a poxy badge.

4 hours ago, freezycold said:

I'm so so so sick of this Kandy edit. She was rubbish again in the latest episode, but the judges try and tell us she was great? No.

Better half and I were genuinely mystified how she got away with that one. Her runway look was pretty poorly executed (beast?), and the ad made no sense.

GotMillks add was so much better and I can't believe that Kandy didn't get ripped for her look. A green bodysuit with an inflatable doll attached! It was terrible. 

7 hours ago, glb said:

Also would be nice for the British queens to get on All Stars so they have a chance of winning an actual cash money prize and not just a poxy badge.

Better half and I were genuinely mystified how she got away with that one. Her runway look was pretty poorly executed (beast?), and the ad made no sense.

I don’t recall seeing such an unforgivable runway. 

I repeat. UNFORGIVABLE!

I think LC won because he was considered a better fit for the prize - a character to base a TV series round. Bimini is hands down a funnier, sexier, smarter and more stylish queen, but she does have a certain reserve in her character - a kind of look but don't touch vibe. Where as LC has a 'love me' vibe and a lot of natural charisma that is just going to appeal more instantly to an American audience and easily fit a cosy 'bullied boy done good' narrative. Ultimately I think it was a business decision - otherwise its inexplicable.

• 2 weeks later...

The US final four... no real surprise that Olivia went, but damn, will miss that million dollar smile.

Rose is my pick for overall winner by virtue of being the most well-rounded Queen, and having been the most open to the judges advice, but after being convinced Bimini would strut to the UK crown, obviously have no idea whatsoever.

• 6 months later...

Nobody watching UK Series 3? It is predictably brilliant, but also mystifying as last night the person who won should have been in the bottom two, and neither of the bottom two should have been anywhere near it.

Some real crackers in this series - my personal favourite from week one through to now is Charity Case, but I get the sense she doesn’t stand a chance as RuPaul does not dig her messed up vibe one bit.

14 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Nobody watching UK Series 3? It is predictably brilliant, but also mystifying as last night the person who won should have been in the bottom two, and neither of the bottom two should have been anywhere near it.

Some real crackers in this series - my personal favourite from week one through to now is Charity Case, but I get the sense she doesn’t stand a chance as RuPaul does not dig her messed up vibe one bit.

I don’t like Charity Case much, for all her blather about breaking new ground and being original, she’s just a pound shop Sharon Needles as far as I can tell. I was sad Elektra Fence got (unfairly) knocked out early as I thought her lipsyncs were great. 

I'm not really feeling season 3 of the UK version so far. Season 2 was so good and had so many incredible personalities. 3 feels a bit middle of the road. Not sure there's a genuine breakout star like Bimini, Tayce or Lawrence here.

I thought I was thoroughly rinsed on drag race after the seemingly unending procession of different versions from around the world all one after the other… then I watched DRUK season 3 and feel immediately in love. Some mad decisions on the lip syncs though, RuPaul’s losing it.  

UK2 is probably my favourite series of the entire Drag Race empire so it's kind of inevitable that this isn't as good. In particular, giving Krystal two wins in the first two episodes was a bonkers choice. But the girls are a likable bunch, and Choriza's a local queen who I've Actually Met In Real Life so that's exciting.

It was a great episode, very emotional I thought, but it serves to highlight what a crock the whole thing is.

They clearly want to get rid of Charity Kase because she doesn’t fit the mold they like at all, and they want to keep the fairly crappy one who won last week because she does (and that’s also why she won last week with a terrible outfit) - so even though a blind person could see CK thoroughly demolished the other queen in the lipsynch - hey, you’re both saved! As I was watching I knew that would be the ‘decision’. It’s bullshit. 

Loving Choriza May coming to the fore though - she was one of my pics in week one and if she can pull her finger out a bit more she could win it.

I just assumed it was a double save as they’d be one down as Victoria had to leave. I really don’t like Charity though. Feels like what Sharon Needles was doing years ago. And that gingham outfit was terrible!