rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
mechamonkey

Ru Paul's Drag Race

I'm so mad right now.

Also yes Eureka is the worst! God I really hope she doesn't win. But then I'm not bothered about the others either. I hve a soft spot for Kameron but no way she will win. I used to like Asia but I'm not so sure now. 

Aquaria is going to win, I'd put money on it. She fits the Violet and Raja model of winner - competent performer but excellent on the runway and that's enough to take the win. Asia is too traditional and not exciting enough. Eureka is too divisive and unpopular with the fanbase. Kameron is Kameron and not a winner in any way, shape or form.

I'm pretty disappointed with how the season turned out. They started with the strongest cast they had in ages but it's been whittled down to a rather uninspiring top 4. I also hated this week's episode and the offensive way it trivialised mental health issues. I fucking hate Ru's cod psychology inner-saboteur bullshit. I hate the way the show expects the queen's to magically have all their mental health issues cured after a pep talk from Ru. It was the same with Nina Bonina Brown last season, I find Ru and the shows attitude towards the queens who don't snap out of depression or anxiety on a dime highly offensive and harmful.

• Upvote 4

Spoiler

Aquaria was a deserved winner. Asia was the best person, but Aquaria was the best drag queen.

After a shaky start I liked this season - it was much more memorable than the last two. Great drama in the reunion too. Monet Exchange was robbed though. Glad she got congeniality to make up for it.

According to people who were at the taping of the finale, Asia's lipsync was even worse than how it was edited. The final edit makes it just looks like a slightly botched/underwhelming reveal of butterflies whereas apparently it took ages after the lipsync for the production staff to sweep up all the dead butterflies on the stage....

• Upvote 1

Just finished the latest season (11) on netflix, and if anyone's curious, it was a really good one. Best in a while. Some really strong talent, big personalities, proper tiffs, and some really astounding performances. Love this show, it dazzles and tickles and just doesn't get boring.

I'm 14 minutes into the first episode of UK drag race and it is FUCKING BRILLIANT. I thought it would be a pale imitation but so far these queens have more cutting edge looks and way more humour. This is going to be so fucking good. I want the equivalent of the ashes in cricket - US vs UK drags in an international all star special.

• Upvote 1

On 24/09/2009 at 12:52, Popo said:

My mate was watching this the other night, sounded like the finest car crash TV, but with the cars replaced by articulated lorries.

Hard to imagine 10 years later who the person that wrote this even was. Every other word out my mouth these days is gurl, werk, hunty, okuuuuuuuuur, or some variant there of. 

5 hours ago, barkbat said:

Amazing. Really going to saviour these. Haven't laughed that hard in a while. Sum Ting Wong was robbed!

It was the freshest episode of Drag Race I’ve seen for quite a while. I think it really helped that the established ecosystem that the American queens now exist in doesn’t have an equivalent over here, so the contestants really do come from more diverse backgrounds and scenes which aren’t tied into a national scene. The difference between older queens who’ve been working at their own thing in places like the RVT for years vs the younger, experimental queens stand in contrast - RPDR is just one influence of many. 

I thought it was brilliant and the queens are really entertaining. Can’t wait for snatch game!

• Upvote 2

Alan Carr seemed pretty subdued in this. Looking forward to this series,  I don't think there is going to be the same level of polish to the looks as the US version but it looks like a decent cast.

The UK accents felt weird at first, and the talking head interviews seem a bit forced.

I think ultimately the right one left this week.

At 19, having never performed, it was always going to be over as soon as they were in the bottom two.

I think Blue Hydrangea is out next week, mind.

Much preferred scaredy cat over Blue. Cat had real star quality and a totally unique vibe. Blue is just polished show girl nothing. Wrong decision! Bad call! Nil poit!

• Upvote 1

I don’t think either of them made a particularly good fist of it in the lip sync but would have preferred Scardey Cat to stay. 

Baga Chipz was pure gold!

I enjoyed the first episode a lot more than the second. The scripts for the acting challenges are always dreadful and there's always a few roles where the queens saddled with them just have nothing to work with.

No - the winner was the right one. She had bags more style and grace and comedy. The runner up was technically more accomplished but her hair and make up was shite almost every week and her personality was a weird mix of sweet and vulnerable with unbelievably needy and aggressively self-congratulatory. Despite her own claims to the contrary, I do not think she would have been a good ambassador. She would need to be the best in every room she found herself in and rant about how good she is. No thanks.

Absolutely loved the first UK series. Totally exceeded my expectations. Top 3 Ru Paul series ever. More please.