rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
mechamonkey

Ru Paul's Drag Race

Just finished series 9 and I'd like to say that this is one of the finest TV shows I've ever had the pleasure to watch and certainly the best reality show. It has made me laugh and cry, completely changed my whole idea of what drag is, made me interested in fashion and costume in a way nothing else has, and definitely made me a more open and enlightened person. So please don't be put off by the shit-show that is this thread and go start watching from the beginning. After some initial bafflement, and some noisy queens all wanting the spotlight, it gets hilarious, moving and inspiring, so don't miss out.

• Upvote 6

It is a lot of what you expect, but also pretty enlightening and inspirational along the way. Hearing about how people got abused just for being who they are is heartbreaking, so for them to be given a platform to be fabulous is hopefully going to empower more to be bold in similar life choices.

RuPaul is a very interesting host too. I like how the show veers from the catty OTT to the overtly camp to the warmth of friends (or 'sisters') looking out for each other. It's a fun watch.

• Upvote 2

It gives me mixed feelings; on the one hand it's a healthy and positive show that represents a fairly oppressed subculture - and it definitely needs to be praised for that! Ultimately though it's pretty much the same as the majority of other task-based shows and I feel a lot of the "magic" happens off-screen and as a competition it doesn't sit right.

Still, it's better than The Apprentice just this format is not for me (I've watched 4 seasons though).

• Upvote 1

What kind of sick and twisted maniac doesn't like Ru Paul's Drag Race?!

Paris Is Burning was on Netflix a while back, I'm not sure if it still is. If you have even the vaguest interest in drag, seek it out, this is THE film.

• Upvote 4

I'm excited for Allstars 3 mainly because Trixie Mattel is strongly rumoured to be in it. Allstars 2 is the pinnacle of the series (and television tbh) but isn't on Netflix so it's really worth acquiring.

If you don't already watch UNHhhh, you should. It's a web show featuring Trixie and Katya (both from season 7) where they just talk about...whatever they want. And it's excellent. Here are a few.

• Upvote 2

On 24/09/2009 at 12:52, Popo said:

My mate was watching this the other night, sounded like the finest car crash TV, but with the cars replaced by articulated lorries.

As I've just been negged for this post, worth mentioning; this is now one of my favourite TV shows and my life is an unending series of RuPaul quotes which I and my friends regurgitate at each other. 

• Upvote 1

On 07/09/2017 at 00:16, ZOK said:

What kind of sick and twisted maniac doesn't like Ru Paul's Drag Race?!

Paris Is Burning was on Netflix a while back, I'm not sure if it still is. If you have even the vaguest interest in drag, seek it out, this is THE film.

Yes! I watched this some years ago when it was still up, incredibly interesting. There's quite a lot of gay history documentaries doing the rounds of late, I don't know if consolidation and rationalisation of gay history is a cause or an effect, but this is certainly the most interesting as it looks at what was happening on the east coast of America rather than the west, which is not something I've ever seen or read about before, and focuses in on working class minorities. 

3 hours ago, Popo said:

As I've just been negged for this post, worth mentioning; this is now one of my favourite TV shows and my life is an unending series of RuPaul quotes which I and my friends regurgitate at each other. 

Are you feeling very attacked right now mawmaw?

4 hours ago, Popo said:

Hunty's back, and she's all grown up. So proud (wipes tear).

• Upvote 1

What a lot of UK people who caught up on the show via Netflix don't know is that the 'Untucked' accompaniment to the show is actually just as good, if not better, than the main show and is filled with hilarious arguments and AMAZING quotes. The problem is, Untucked isn't available on Netflix so a lot of people don't even know it exists. If you've never seen any Untucked episodes, go check them out immediately

E.g

• Upvote 2

Btw, season five finale... Detox' makeup was utterly incredible:

enhanced-buzz-orig-14197-1367505495-7.jp

Looked so effective stood next to some of the more brightly-dressed girls. This show is brilliant.

• Upvote 1

This might be slightly OT, but I just found out a friend of mine in the US who works on the show won an Emmy for "Outstanding Picture Editing for a Structured or Competition Reality Program".

• Upvote 2

Allstars 3 started last night, and is probably already out there. It's airing on Comedy Central in the UK on Saturday evenings at 10pm for those of you that can wait. I cannot. Sadly I'm working all day today until 3am, so I'll have to watch tomorrow afternoon.

My girlfriend loves this show, and she thought I'd like it, even though I'm not generally a fan of US constructed reality shows (Apart from Average Joe: Hawaii, obviously, which was fucking amazing). 

Two weeks later, and I've watched seasons 4,5,6 and just finished All Stars 2 last night, which was basically Season 5 Redux, and amazing. I think I'm a bit addicted. It's such a compelling mix of talent, craft, goofiness and shade, I can't think of anything else that's quite like it. 

Not going to watch All Stars 3 yet, as apart from Milk and Ben I don't know any of the other queens, and I think it'd be much better if I'd seen their seasons first. 

So which season should I watch next? Quite tempted to go for 7, as I liked Katya in All Stars 2. 

• Upvote 1

Season 7 is widely considered to be one of the worst seasons, if not the worst, so I'd maybe avoid it for now. Katya kind of struggles in Season 7 compared to how she came good in All Stars 2 as well.

Honestly, I'd say 4-6 and All Stars 2 are the pinnacle of the show, but there's still plenty of great stuff left. Personally, I'd probably go back to Seasons 2 and 3, then do 7-9 and finally All Stars 3. Seasons 2 and 3 are relatively lower budget and less polished as the show only really became big in Season 4, but what the show lacks in polish, it makes up for in sheer character and cattiness. They make the later, more polished seasons look like everyone is best friends. You can tell a lot of them genuinely just HATE each other.

Once you've done 2 and 3, jump back to the newer seasons. You can skip All Stars 1, it's shit. Great cast but they ruined the formula by making the queens compete as pairs.

• Upvote 1

I really dislike  most of these queens but I adore Milk and Chi Chi so they'll probably go home really early! 

I was worried the lip sync for your legacy stuff wouldn't work so well but All Stars 2 was so great I'm glad they've kept it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, barkbat said:

If any Squirrel knows where one might stream this, in anticipation of its appearance on Netflix, Shante please say.

Unfortunately Netflix wont be showing this! It’s on Comedy Central Sat night at 10. Not sure what the issue is with All Stars but Netflix doesn’t have the previous 2 seasons either.

• Upvote 1

Always the same - see the initial cast and think 'this one will be shit' and then after one episode I am in. Amazing how far Shangela has come, and Aja. Worried there isn't enough bitch quotient - they really needed a Valentina in there to stir shit up. And Thorgy can fuck off. Tired of her shit after two minutes. But so glad this is back!