IGNORED

vvv

Transient Curse

You're not really meant to explore to be honest. SMG is the closest they've come to replicating the 2-D Mario's in 3-D form. The majority of the levels are just pure obstacle courses which is why it's my favourite 3-D Mario. The more open levels actually tend to be the weakest ones. Still, I really don't see how anyone could call it stale. I'd really struggle to think of any game this generation with a more consistent abundance of ideas. It is a bit slow to ramp up the complexity and difficulty though.

Perhaps stale was the wrong word...

I dunno - it just feels like Mario 64, but not as good, with waggle.

I'd prefer just a simple bloody button press...

There should be a GameCube pad option in there, god dammit.

Well of course you would. But since there isn't a button-based option, why don't you try and embrace controlling it this way? I mean, you paid for it, right?

Surely it's just exhausting pulling in the opposite direction all the time?

Is it cheap and easy to hook up a Wii to a HDCP monitor and some PC speakers?

I want to get one for SMG, MP3 and the shooting games.

Also, can you play the Wii on a 20" monitor? As long as there's enough distance?

You can play the Wii on anything, really, since the sensor bar basically takes in all the waggle info.

Well of course you would. But since there isn't a button-based option, why don't you try and embrace controlling it this way? I mean, you paid for it, right?

Surely it's just exhausting pulling in the opposite direction all the time?

I didn't pay for it. I, err, lent it. Yeah.

I'm also atrociously hard to please.

Well that'd certainly help for pointing at things in the middle of the screen by pointing IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SCREEN for people with decent-sized tellies.

That's the part I don't like. The Wii has no concept of how big your telly is, so for lightgun games there isn't a 1:1 correspondence between where you point the Wiimote and where the game thinks you're pointing it. On a 50" telly, the difference is quite significant.

I've got a lightgun for the PS2 which operates on a similar principal to the Wiimote, except it has two sensor bars, one for above and one for below. The gun also requires calibration to tell it where the corners of your screen are.

A little bit more work, but it yields a far more accurate input device.

I'm also atrociously hard to please.

If you get no joy from SMG and intend to moan about how it doesn't give you the option of using one of the shitter gamepads ever designed you're not "hard to please" - you're somewhere between joyless and a retentive who's unwilling to try anything new.

SMG was encapsulated by the Consolevania review - I'd love to tell you how amazing it is but I just don't have time - and you clearly lack joy or are just being awkward as part of some weird online persona you're cultivating (trolling is another word for that I think).

If you get no joy from SMG and intend to moan about how it doesn't give you the option of using one of the shitter gamepads ever designed you're not "hard to please" - you're somewhere between joyless and a retentive who's unwilling to try anything new.

SMG was encapsulated by the Consolevania review - I'd love to tell you how amazing it is but I just don't have time - and you clearly lack joy or are just being awkward as part of some weird online persona you're cultivating (trolling is another word for that I think).

Oh, don't cry. I love you for your guinea pig avatar, which I miss very much. I'm not a joyless fucker - most of the time - and I think the GC pad's just dandy for stuff like Mario games.

I'm not sure I'd even be playing games at all anymore if it weren't for the Wii. Everthing else is just the same old guff.

Where is the joy? :lol:

EDIT: To keep this thread on topic, the only way I could see the Wii re-invigorating my love of gaming would be if I had suffered some sort of catastrophic accident where I lost a significant degree of my ability to manipulate an object with my hands, and I had to settle for the Wii controller in one of my first steps towards gradual rehabilitation.

Or, as in my case, totally re-invigorate their love for gaming.

I'm not sure I'd even be playing games at all anymore if it weren't for the Wii. Everthing else is just the same old guff.

Funny, I thought the Wii library mainly consists of the same old shit we got the last 10 years, but with added waggle, making it worse.

To keep this thread on topic, the only way I could see the Wii re-invigorating my love of gaming would be if I had suffered some sort of catastrophic accident where I lost a significant degree of my ability to manipulate an object with my hands, and I had to settle for the Wii controller in one of my first steps towards gradual rehabilitation.

I can still use my hands, they're just bored with buttons. Plus my wrist felt left out. As did my family and non-gaming friends, who now need next to no persuasion to join me for a marathon MK or Wii Sports session, whereas before they would decline politely. That alone has made me love gaming all over again.

Besides, it's just different to the other consoles, and that's a good thing. The other consoles are the same as the old consoles, but with better graphics. And sometimes that's ok. I've enjoyed Fallout 3, and I'll probably enjoy Mass Effect 2. But you know - I've played them before. The Wii gave me something genuinely new to play with.

Like Mario Kart with a shit plastic wheel?

Well the wheel means my friends and family want to play, so yeah. I don't really see what's shit about steering with, you know - a steering wheel. Much more immersive. Powersliding round corners with full reverse lock has never felt better.

I must admit, I also love how upset and angry the Wii makes some of you guys. Even those of you who have only just bought one it seems!

Can you imagine if all 3 consoles were the same though? What would be the point of that? Woo hoo! Nintendo release a new console with a traditional button-based controller! It's HD as well! Now then, let's have a look at this Xbox 360...okay, same sort of thing, slightly different line up...still, PS3 must offer something new...oh.

It feels nice to have such a variety of gaming experiences at my fingertips (when I get the time to play anything). I'd hate to feel so strong a dislike for any of them that I'd "shun" them. It'd be such a shame.

I don't know, I have such limited gaming time these days that I always want to get the best bang for my buck when I do...which always leads me to the 360.

I'd love to have the time to fart around with Wii Music, for example, but I'd need another life, sadly.

I don't know, I have such limited gaming time these days that I always want to get the best bang for my buck when I do...which always leads me to the 360.

I'd love to have the time to fart around with Wii Music, for example, but I'd need another life, sadly.

That describes my feelings for Bioware epics where I have to waste hours listening to long reams of badly acted, poorly written exposition in between loading screens and navigating confusing menus. Horses for courses, obviously.

Can you imagine if all 3 consoles were the same though? What would be the point of that? Woo hoo! Nintendo release a new console with a traditional button-based controller! It's HD as well! Now then, let's have a look at this Xbox 360...okay, same sort of thing, slightly different line up...still, PS3 must offer something new...oh.

Like this is any kind of reality. A Nintendo console have a 'slightly different lineup' to the competitors' consoles? Nintendo is an exclusivity monster.

Of course, using that line when comparing this future Nintendo console to any Nintendo console from the past... now that'd stand up.