Great Films from First Time & One Time Directors

lordcookie

Alejandro Amenabar - Tesis (Thesis)

I totally forgot about this one. Tesis is an excellent little thriller that really deserves a bit more recognition.

Possible contenders may include the likes of Luc Besson (Le dernier combat, interesting first film with no spoken (recognisable) dialogue whatsoever, so a foreign film you can watch without subtitles :), quite enjoyed it, shame he's pretty much retired from onhands directing)

It's a pretty standard first feature, imo. Post-apocalyptic movies seem to be quite a common setting for first features. The Last Combat reminds me quite a lot of Alex Proyas' debut Spirits of the Air, Gremlins of the Clouds - both nice to look at but pretty hollow films.

Michael Haneke.

Ah yes, The Seventh Continent is still the best thing he has ever directed as far as I am concerned.

XXY This is the dramatic story of a 15-year-old hermaphrodite. She lives with her parents, who have to cope with the challenges of her medical condition. It doesn't once try to sensationalise a sensational story and instead is a very tender, yet at times brutal, coming of age story. It reminded me a little of Andrei Zvyagintsev's The Return (another film that could easily go in this thread) in the way it was shot and framed (as well as the isolated location). You can normally work out where these types of stories are heading from the outset but here it takes some interesting diversions and some sections really shocked me (in a good way).

Robert Harmon's The Hitcher also deserves to be here too. The rest of his films sucked so it is pretty surprising he delivered such a great, taut thriller at the first attempt.

XXY This is the dramatic story of a 15-year-old hermaphrodite. She lives with her parents, who have to cope with the challenges of her medical condition. It doesn't once try to sensationalise a sensational story and instead is a very tender, yet at times brutal, coming of age story. It reminded me a little of Andrei Zvyagintsev's The Return (another film that could easily go in this thread) in the way it was shot and framed (as well as the isolated location). You can normally work out where these types of stories are heading from the outset but here it takes some interesting diversions and some sections really shocked me (in a good way).

Robert Harmon's The Hitcher also deserves to be here too. The rest of his films sucked so it is pretty surprising he delivered such a great, taut thriller at the first attempt.

The Hitcher wasn't his debut, China Lake was. I only know cos I love the film so much I was curious if it was a first attempt so this thread prompted me to look him up.

Do keep up, Goose - Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was mentioned in the second post.

Bugger! Still, a great movie and I really wish Black would follow it up with something sooner rather than later.

I'm going to go out a limb somewhat and say Cameron Crowe with Say Anything. While I loved Almost Famous and enjoyed Singles a lot, Say Anything still deals with the pain of heartbreak better than most films I've seen.

The Hitcher wasn't his debut, China Lake was. I only know cos I love the film so much I was curious if it was a first attempt so this thread prompted me to look him up.
To make this clear, I am talking about feature debuts - they may have worked on shorts/TV before.

Granted you might not have read the whole of the opening post but this was only the second sentence. :)

China Lake is a short film so is exempt.

Doh, how could I forget these two, one a stone cold American classic, the other, a bit marmite judging by the thread on it :D

Paul Brickman (also wrote the bloody screenplay, so credit x2) - Risky Business

Jose Padilha - Tropa de Elite

Oh, another pair who deserve a mention:

Peter and Bobby Farrelly, directors of 3 great comedy films in a row (humour is rather subjective, so some people would probably disagree) - Dumb & Dumber

Also, Jared Hess - Napoleon Dynamite, though his next film was nowhere near as good, I blame the presence of Jack Black :lol:

Not sure that counts. Whilst Bus 174 might be a documentary it is still a feature film.

I've never thought that a documentary would count personally, though Bus 174 is meant to be pretty good anyway :facepalm:

If they do, Morgan Spurlock and Michael Moore would be in the running, both did entertaining films classified as documentaries, though it's not the sort of thing I'd go to a cinema to watch.

• 1 year later...

crank-9.jpg

I'm also fond of Jackie Chan's directorial debut, Fearless Hyena. Though his following effort behind the camera, The Young Master, I find to be better yet.

Francisco Vargas - El Violin

Satoshi Kon - Perfect Blue

With regards to that list, there are a few of which I consider important, but painful to watch. I cannot stand Easy Rider, and struggle with anything by Godard, but damn they are significant.

I know a few of my friends thought it was a bit too talky and self-aggrandising, and while I certainly agree with the former, I find it a strangely compelling film with a number of memorable characters. Chris Eigeman in particular is hilarious in it. I remember catching it on TV for the first time on whim a few years ago. I may have to tune in when it's on as my Criterion copy is with someone else.