The worst crimes in music

• 4 weeks later...

This dire performance by poundshop Led Zeppelin panderers to your dad, Greta Van Fleet. 

If these are the guys who are going to 'save' rock*, let it die as a mainstream, commercial art form. 

*from not being the most popular form of music I suppose. Because there is a huge amount of great rock around, it just doesn't get as much attention. 

Ugh, yeah, those guys.

I'm not a huge fan or owt, but you can look at a band like The Lemon Twigs and see that it's possible to be hugely influenced by 70s rock and still have something of your own voice and personality. Greta Van Fleet make me feel properly uncomfortable, though, like I'm sort of embarrassed for them.  I could only manage about a minute of that video above.

1 hour ago, Skull Commander said:

I'm nominating that new Weezer album of covers. Every one is sub karaoke standard and brings nothing new to the songs. Awful. 

Balls

Africa and Paranoid Android are mega, especially live. You know nothing. ;)

On 22/01/2019 at 01:30, deerokus said:

This dire performance by poundshop Led Zeppelin panderers to your dad, Greta Van Fleet. 

If these are the guys who are going to 'save' rock*, let it die as a mainstream, commercial art form. 

*from not being the most popular form of music I suppose. Because there is a huge amount of great rock around, it just doesn't get as much attention. 

WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT SHIT

I've never seen a front man with less charisma. Daltrey is spinning in his grave, the cunts not even dead yet. 

I need to post this to wash the stink away

5 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT SHIT

I've never seen a front man with less charisma. Daltrey is spinning in his grave, the cunts not even dead yet. 

I need to post this to wash the stink away

Yeah, the band are OK musicians (notwithstanding how shite they sound in the clip I posted) but the frontman is absolutely crap. Just doing an accurate but uncharismatic Robert Plant pastiche.

Here's the original (when he was younger than that guy). And I don't even like Led Zeppelin that much, but it's a painful comparison 

You get the also-amazing comments along the lines of 'at least they're playing real music not hip hop breathy urban pop trash that's forced on us we need to support real rock music!!'. 

Which has to be dads who only hear modern music on top 40 radio stations. A boy band for auld fuds who bemoan the absence of 'proper music' which presumably stopped around 1992 when black people were invented. 

Brex Zeppelin. 

I wouldn’t put it past those little fellas being a half decent rock band by their third album but in the here and now they’re embarrassing themselves on Saturday Night Live when bands of their ilk should still be in the garage moving past their Led Zep covers phase and searching for their own identity.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Acoustic covers. By overly affecting female vocalists. Of everything. They are absolutely fucking everywhere. The latest in cinema today was an advert for Hanna TV show with Bullet with Butterfly Wings. Just. Fucking. Stop.

It was a comically overdone cliché five years ago. It will never die. 

Sometimes you get the variant where there is a big key change where it turns into epic orchestral sweeping power pop type thing where the singer belts out a big note during a fast action montage. And then it settles down and ends on a tense unresolved piano note.

All of that and they're covering Deeply Dippy by Right Said Fred. 

4 hours ago, deerokus said:

It was a comically overdone cliché five years ago. It will never die. 

Sometimes you get the variant where there is a big key change where it turns into epic orchestral sweeping power pop type thing where the singer belts out a big note during a fast action montage. And then it settles down and ends on a tense unresolved piano note.

All of that and they're covering Deeply Dippy by Right Said Fred. 

All true. I think Empire even did a feature referring to it as ‘doing a Donnie Darko’

it never fails to rile me though, your example above especially when done in the context of a particularly loathesome product, eg the mother fucking Lloyds Bank horses on the beach to ‘Youre Not Alone’ 

• 2 weeks later...