Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II

Solid SOAP

A while ago I thought that people only hated Tails because of his whole character, being a whiny high-pitched scrawny arsehole of a sidekick. Then after playing Sonic 2 on the 360's Mega Drive collection and getting fucked off with having Tails lose all his rings in the bonus stages, I remembered why I hated him in the first place.

At least in the Mega Drive game you can turn him off. ^_^

He's bloody annoying if you're playing on your own. It was amazing at the time though, as it let my brother and I play a Sonic game together for the first time. That doesn't change how badly implemented Tails was, but I didn't care about that when I was seven. :)

• 1 month later...

I don't want to get too excited, but at least this is looking like a proper thing! Also I read a thing that they've got the in-house team behind Generations' soundtrack, instead of the crapness of the first one.

I really don't think having a decent soundtrack would have helped Sonic 4 in the slightest. Even if it consisted entirely of scraping blackboards and rusty chainsaws, it still would barely affect the shitness of the game.

A while ago I thought that people only hated Tails because of his whole character, being a whiny high-pitched scrawny arsehole of a sidekick. Then after playing Sonic 2 on the 360's Mega Drive collection and getting fucked off with having Tails lose all his rings in the bonus stages, I remembered why I hated him in the first place.

At least in the Mega Drive game you can turn him off. happy.gif

Special Stage!

623294_20120214_640screen010.jpg

Ah shit.

Nah, it's easy. Especially since that level gives you extra lives at a rate of one every tenth of a second.

I have 12 lives and could not jump over the friggin revolving cards will attempt again when I feel like some punishment in gaming

I really don't think having a decent soundtrack would have helped Sonic 4 in the slightest. Even if it consisted entirely of scraping blackboards and rusty chainsaws, it still would barely affect the shitness of the game.

A good soundtrack - even with a bad game (or one you haven't played) - is a great consolation prize when all's said and done, though.

A good soundtrack - even with a bad game (or one you haven't played) - is a great consolation prize when all's said and done, though.

Tell that to Sonic Generations on the 360 which I endured this weekend.

Utter shit game. Awesome soundtrack. Did not feel I'd won any sort of consolation prize, more that my soul had been raped by a doberman.

Surprised there hasn't been any real whining on here about Episode II, probably because 98% of real sonic fans stopped caring, and wish this was Generations 2 instead.

The levels are this time copied mostly from Sonic 3. Hyrocity mixed with Marble Garden, Oil Ocean with Launch Base, Ice Cap with Carnival Night. Special stages from Sonic 2. Still using modern designs, the logo in particular looks hilarious, whoever draws Sonic's mouth should be fired. He looks absolute derp.

Logo itself is also rehashed from Sonic 2, mind.

Theres a new move, where sonic and tails sort of hold hands and turn into what looks like a ultra ball thing, but we're not aware how it works yet. Something thats actually original you say? Shocking indeed. (Actually, Sonic Advance 3 did something similar.)

The half-pipe special stages are no longer proper half-pipes. Compare it to a picture of the sonic 2 half-pipes and the shot above is hardly the same. This means they could be a lot easier then in Sonic 2.

You can expect Tails AI still to be shit. They'll say it was to make it more authentique for the series.

The visuals certainly look sharper, the backgrounds are nicer. We're even getting (plot spoiler warning) the Death Egg being built around Little Planet judging by a few of those screen shots which would make my child self weep with joy...

But the problem with this title after truth came out about episode 1 remains. It has 4 in the title. It's not named Sonic The Hedgehog:Remix. (or Dimps Remix).

It's original intentions were not to truly go back to the series roots and flesh out and expand where the 16bit series left off. It was and is meant as a quick buck budget development title that has no love or thought put into it (hence zones, enemies and bosses themselves, are all reused). That to me is far more insulting then broken unplayable physics. It's total disrespect of the franchise by slapping the 4 on the title.

Remember that at one time, before Sonic 4 was announced, the current Sonic Team development team were told by one website interviewer (IGN, 1UP, not sure which) how they think fans would love it if they went back to the 2D roots of the series, to make a retro-styled game again (Mega Man 9 had recently come out, at the time.) The guy's response haunts my sleep to this day: 'Really? Would fans really buy that? Would that sell today?'. Or at least, close enough to those lines.

Speechless. Simply speechless.

This game can go fuck itself.

I wish I could stop caring about Sonic The bloody Hedgehog.

PS. But I did love Generations. It did not hide what it was (a best of title), was very humble about it in fact, and did it well. The true crime is if they don't follow up to this or add DLC. They're still clueless morons, if not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCTtLHLKO4k&feature=share

New trailer released, according to Ken's PR as well as some other in-house guys problems like uncurling and losing inertia while in the air have been fixed. However, the level design seems very much the same affair as Episode I, with lots of springs and automation. I guess we'll see what the final product is like upon release, but for now it doesn't seem like a colossal improvement.

The springs still don't provide freedom of movement from the moment you press one that goes upwards, I see. (Though Generations had this problem still as well.)) Your supposed to be able to move any direction as soon as you press the spring, not turn into a robot for a moment and only start being able to move from the highest 'height' of the spring.

Multi-hit badniks. Despite being one of the worst ideas in recent years (Heroes onward). None in generations, yet here they are.

Sonic being able to hold onto Tails underwater is new/neat/fits, though.

The problem is there are two sets of fans. The proper fans, like me, who like the Sonic games, and the FUCKING RETARDED "FANS" who like the shit Sonic games from Heroes onwards.

Sega think one of:

1) Lets make games for the latter of these categories (like Sonic 06).

2) Lets make games for the former of these categories (like Sonic 4).

3) Lets make games for BOTH of these categories (like Sonic Generations).

And they're ALL shit.

The proper fans, who hate the other fans, but still buy the new games anyway because they KNOW they'll be shit and have to make sure everyone else knows?

If you didn't enjoy Generations then you'll never enjoy another Sonic game, because 1) it's a great game and 2) it's the best 3D Sonic game by far.