IGNORED

Derren Brown : The Events Fridays 9pm

Capwn

Anyway, what's this videogame zombie trick I hear about?

Its on google videos. I dont think you can embed it, so click this link.

The tramp thing was very very fake. Who on earth walks around with more than fifty quid cash?

You would be very surprised. I used to work in the ticket office at a railway station and I was stunned by how many people carry massive amounts of cash.

And of course, it was filmed at a shopping centre. Im guessing cashpoints were nearby. Even more people would be carrying large amounts of cash if they were planning to spend it within a few minutes.

Even more people would be carrying large amounts of cash if they were planning to spend it within a few minutes.

Who spends cash though? I can't remember the last time I was out shopping and took out cash so I could buy things (other than when a shop's card reader was broken, so I had to go and get some), especially not large amounts, as I only ever use cash to pay for small value purchases, it just seems such an outdated idea.

Who spends cash though? I can't remember the last time I was out shopping and took out cash so I could buy things (other than when a shop's card reader was broken, so I had to go and get some), especially not large amounts, as I only ever use cash to pay for small value purchases, it just seems such an outdated idea.

Like I said, you would be stunned how much cash a lot of people carry on them. If you know anybody who works in retail, ask them.

So many people use cash it amazed me when I started to work in shops etc. - work in any shop for 1 day and you'll see...

Blokes love to pull wedges of cash from their pockets but it's women which most surprised me. Opening purses which are packed with 20s and 50s - paying for £120 of shopping in Asda with said cash (or just 1 pack of fags from the same groaning purse)...

It's easier to manage your money in cash and, of course, if you earn cash (either cash-in-hand jobs or taking cash from customers) there are 'benefits' to not putting it into the banking system.

I worked with a guy who earned £1100/day and refused to use plastic - he simply had £300-500 on him at any given time.

and you thought street mugging was a past-art...

Watched it, didn't work.

However reading some of the comments here is rather amusing. Derren isn't a magic man or anything. Suggestion is very real though and very very difficult to do, hence why we aren't all convincing each other to do things. Con artists use this to a degree too. It is all about the way you speak, what you say. Implanting ideas into somebodies head. The best examples of this are one to one sessions. The bigger he goes the more extravagant it has to get, the worse it actually looks. EVERYTHING is the same.

The best I saw was when he basically made a celeb ask for a red bike for his birthday instead of what he really wanted. That is what it is really all about. The Seance (sp) was a great example of this too. He basically told the people what they would get from it, it is why he tends to only want certain people to do these things. It isn't as good now with the bigger 'stunts' but the smaller stuff is still brilliant.

Remember on his first few series, where part of the "magic, psychology, misdirection and showmanship" speech at the start of each episode made a point of noting that no actors or stooges were used? That's been absent from The Events, hasn't it?

No, it's there on screen from 0:50-0:57 of episode 2:

vlcsnap-3913129.png

Was the suggestion thing (with the giraffe) not real, then? Not the real cause, I mean? Was anyone else subconsciously thinking 'giraffe'? If that wasn't how he did it, then it's pretty clever, seeing as the store was plastered with the stuff everywhere. I didn't pick up on the hints myself, but then I'm probably not all that observant.

He used similar 'techniques' when I went to see him live a couple of years back. He'd slip in words during the course of the show - weird phrases that sound wrong at the time but you ignore and then don't think about them again - and then he'd play them back at the end and you'd discover he'd been using these words to drop hints in order to influence the volunteer's decision to pick a certain page in a newspaper or whatever.

Was the suggestion thing (with the giraffe) not real, then? Not the real cause, I mean?

suggestion is a very real technique, although given this man's past lack of risk taking (despite claims to the contrary) i think it's far more likely she was paid or at least instructed to choose the appropriate toy.

as pointed out, Brown's skill isn't in the doing, it's in the explaining afterwards. although he seems to be losing his touch with that bit too these days.

However reading some of the comments here is rather amusing. Derren isn't a magic man or anything. Suggestion is very real though and very very difficult to do, hence why we aren't all convincing each other to do things. Con artists use this to a degree too. It is all about the way you speak, what you say. Implanting ideas into somebodies head. The best examples of this are one to one sessions. The bigger he goes the more extravagant it has to get, the worse it actually looks. EVERYTHING is the same.

The best I saw was when he basically made a celeb ask for a red bike for his birthday instead of what he really wanted.

;)

I officially give up now.

Was the suggestion thing (with the giraffe) not real, then? Not the real cause, I mean? Was anyone else subconsciously thinking 'giraffe'? If that wasn't how he did it, then it's pretty clever, seeing as the store was plastered with the stuff everywhere. I didn't pick up on the hints myself, but then I'm probably not all that observant.

He used similar 'techniques' when I went to see him live a couple of years back. He'd slip in words during the course of the show - weird phrases that sound wrong at the time but you ignore and then don't think about them again - and then he'd play them back at the end and you'd discover he'd been using these words to drop hints in order to influence the volunteer's decision to pick a certain page in a newspaper or whatever.

Note with the giraffe trick that the giraffe is not already in the shopping bag, which would have been truly impressive. There is merely a piece of paper, which would be relatively easy to plant. All this ignores the possibility that he used a stooge.

The video cut just before he pulls the 'name' from the bag shows he did a post-prediction plant.

Much like the cut before he reveals the numbers on the back of the cheque with cup-stomper the week before. A switch is even easier to make look smooth when you can edit the vital part out of the footage, then you only need to conceal it from the person there at the time.

Just watch the number of edits at that point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7BkGGw2gFA#t=5m55s

Plus the whole thing clearly had quite a lot of stopping and starting edited out. When she enters the store it is still dark outside. When she leaves again it is daylight. It doesn't get light in the time of the footage, plus the "17 minutes later" of her choosing the toy. I wonder how many "can we just film that again" bits there were, to play for time where necessary.

Okay, but to buy 'it's all edited', doesn't that imply that the theatre audience shows are all edited too, as he does the same tricks?

The tricks aren't quite the same (conceptually yes, mechanically no) but they do edit the TV versions of his shows because the occasional slight of hand might be discovered via repeat viewing that a theatre audience sat at a distance wouldn't normally see.

The video cut just before he pulls the 'name' from the bag shows he did a post-prediction plant.

Pretty sure this happens every single time he does this kind of thing, which makes it very noticeable.

The other day I watched the pet heaven one he did, with the taxi ride and that, which involves a prediction in an envelope given at the start.

Same thing, a cut just as the paper is pulled from the envelope. It draws your attention to it.

Saying that, however his shows are done they are excellent entertainment.

They're really not. The lottery one was an insult to the viewers' intelligence, and this week's wasn't much better.

I unlinked it from my Sky box after this week. I won't be watching any more.

Yep same here (except mine's a Freeview box). I was one of the few defending the lottery programme but apart from the giraffe bit this one was rubbish. He's jumped the shark*.

*or perhaps he's just persuaded me to think he has

Derren isn't a magic man or anything.

Is this a joke?

I really hope the fourth episode has something none of us have thought of and Darren usurps all of us and we all love him again.

After the first two disasterous episodes, it's not looking likely though.