IGNORED

Derren Brown : The Events Fridays 9pm

Capwn

Yep - this was my original point. I was almost willing to overlook this given how exciting this has all been up until tonight, but yeah - millions now believe in the power of collective thought. If he'd have throw a little pseudo-quantum physics in there about observers changing the results or some shit like that he'd have set rational/scientific thinking back in this country by - dunno, 25 years? We're back to Gellar on Wogan's couch.

Might he have something elsewhere in the series to debunk his collective mind theory?

This just keeps people strung along until then.

I was thinking, if you had a computer that could calculate every position of every atom in the universe do you think you could predict the lottery?

If you knew the original state - yeah, you could predict everything that was going to happen up until the universe ended. So somewhere out there in the vastness of the unknown is an equation for predicting the future. An equation so complex as to utterly defy any possibility of comprehension by even the most brilliant human mind, but an equation nonetheless.

Yep - this was my original point. I was almost willing to overlook this given how exciting this has all been up until tonight, but yeah - millions now believe in the power of collective thought. If he'd have throw a little pseudo-quantum physics in there about observers changing the results or some shit like that he'd have set rational/scientific thinking back in this country by - dunno, 25 years? We're back to Gellar on Wogan's couch.

"And so following the deep maths to its logical conclusion if no one observes the lottery numbers at all they exist in a paradoxical state in which the winners are simultaneously both millionaires and dead!

Make sure to tune in next week!"

"And so following the deep maths to its logical conclusion if no one observes the lottery numbers at all they exist in a paradoxical state in which the winners are simultaneously both millionaires and dead!

Make sure to tune in next week!"

Actually, I'm surprised he didn't put a cat in one of the boxes at the start.

If you knew the original state - yeah, you could predict everything that was going to happen up until the universe ended. So somewhere out there in the vastness of the unknown is an equation for predicting the future. An equation so complex as to utterly defy any possibility of comprehension by even the most brilliant human mind, but an equation nonetheless.

260px-ST-TNG_Ship_in_a_Bottle.jpg

No. The universe is probabilistic, so this is incorrect.

Oooh! Can I be the one to say it? Please?

"I've got some fucking Jaffa Cakes in my coat pocket!"

you know how everyone was going on about how the camera was moving, during the prediction, and there would be no way to sync it?

my FUCKING GOD! that camera wobble was SO artificial, it wasn't funny. You could see the pattern, it wasn't even random, like good camera shake would be.

Well, if my magic black transfers on a transparent film theory was right, no one will ever know and he might as well done the 99.9% sure to work live split-screen thing and then fed everyone a bunch of bollocks.

I felt sorry for those morons in the room who thought they'd collectively won the lottery for Derren and had a ten year olds grasp of probability. The producers might as well have flashed MORONS on the screen whenever they spoke.

He has no right to ridicule Geller when he is essentially making innocent people laughing stock to nerds.

And seriously, if the best argument you can make against the split screen theory is 'it's not his style' then go and cut your fingers off. Of course its his style. He's a fucking illusionist. He decieves people. There's no code of conduct. It's not a gentleman's sport.

What a load of fucking BULL SHIIIIIT.

It's the split screen thingy, no question.

But he confessed anyway, right at the end, the very last thing he said, using almost the exact same words I did yesterday*:

I know exactly how it's done. I worked it out. It's simple really.

It's a trick, of course.

It's a trick.

*I did use them in jest, though. ;)

EDIT: I unspoilered my quote for clarity's sake.

Well, if my magic black transfers on a transparent film theory was right, no one will ever know and he might as well done the 99.9% sure to work live split-screen thing and then fed everyone a bunch of bollocks.

I felt sorry for those morons in the room who thought they'd collectively won the lottery for Derren and had a ten year olds grasp of probability. The producers might as well have flashed MORONS on the screen whenever they spoke.

He has no right to ridicule Geller when he is essentially making innocent people laughing stock to nerds.

And seriously, if the best argument you can make against the split screen theory is 'it's not his style' then go and cut your fingers off. Of course its his style. He's a fucking illusionist. He decieves people. There's no code of conduct. It's not a gentleman's sport.

You'll be indifferent to learn that I'm putting you on my ignore list.

Sorry, what I meant to say was, my list of idiots.

In a thread of speculation and discussion you've outdone yourself in being, well, an idiot.