Only Connect, BBC Four

The walls have got so hard. It seems like before you would have one or two answers that could be seemingly placed against two sets, now the board is full of them.

There's been a couple I found easy, but only because I spotted two groups quickly (e.g the Coldplay singles one). But yes they are tougher right now.

• 7 months later...

Anyone else still watching this show? The quality of the questions have dropped a notch (I think they have a new guy making them up) but it's still decent, though I took umbrage at the last episode ... a question about test match cricket? And "earn" is a homophone for a type of container? Maybe in southern England, sure.

Have we given up altogether on forming a team then?

I, and many like me, pronounce "leather" and "learn" with the same first syllable. Dahn sath, they say "luhhn". It's OK, I know they can't help it. But for a proper quiz to suggest that "urn" and "earn" sound almost identical, and NO POINTS FOR YOU if you don't happen to share our lazy dialect, that irks me somewhat.

This is why I had to sell my Kinect. (Well, one of several reasons ...)

Can you record yourself saying "earn" I've just read this and I've honestly no fucking idea how it can be pronounced in a way that doesn't sound like "urn".

edit: Hang on, profile says you're from glasgow so presumably scottish, but even with that I've heard you people say earn and urn and even though the emphasis is different to how I'd say it, they're still both said the same way.

I, and many like me, pronounce "leather" and "learn" with the same first syllable. Dahn sath, they say "luhhn". It's OK, I know they can't help it. But for a proper quiz to suggest that "urn" and "earn" sound almost identical, and NO POINTS FOR YOU if you don't happen to share our lazy dialect, that irks me somewhat.

This is why I had to sell my Kinect. (Well, one of several reasons ...)

Boiling this down, it seems you have a chip on your shoulder about not being able to speak the language properly.

A bit off to blame the show for that. ;)

Can you record yourself saying "earn" I've just read this and I've honestly no fucking idea how it can be pronounced in a way that doesn't sound like "urn".

I'll try again.

For "earn", take the E sound from "hell", "bell", "berry", etc, and stick it onto "rn".

For "urn", take the T off "turn".

It's basically "eh" vs "uh".

Boiling this down, it seems you have a chip on your shoulder about not being able to speak the language properly.

A bit off to blame the show for that. ;)

It's a fair cop.

I'll try again.

For "earn", take the E sound from "hell", "bell", "berry", etc, and stick it onto "rn".

For "urn", take the T off "turn".

It's basically "eh" vs "uh".

Why wouldn't you use the same inflection you're using in earn on urn? You're saying earn in a scottish accent but urn in an english one, make your mind up.

Yeah I just find that one odd from a linguistic point of view in general, regional variance aside I'm surprised that for those two words with they're being said so differently by the same person within a particular region because given the structure of the words it doesn't make sense.

All boringly off topic I realise, but it's a subject I've got a lot of interest in :)

I'm surprised that for those two words with they're being said so differently by the same person within a particular region because given the structure of the words it doesn't make sense.

Seriously? Whichever way you arrange them, I don't think the letters E and A are really meant to sound like the letter U. The English accent plays fast and loose with vowels in this way.

And I'm not saying that there's a right and there's a wrong; we all have our own dialect, that's fine and dandy. I was just saying that I thought it was a crap question for a such an exacting quiz.

And to get back on topic, this show is back TONIGHT. Hopefully with less dialect-specific questions.

I get that Scottish people pronounce 'Earn' differently. 'Earn' rhymes with 'bairn' in some parts of Scotch land, right?

I had a problem with their suggestion that you're and ewer were homophones, though.

I think that's like how that character in the Sopranos pronounced 'whore' like 'hoo-er'.

• 9 months later...