The Amstrad CPC464

sandman

4 hours ago, SimonG said:

Oh Mummy

Good times.

Ahhhh, what a game! A right of passage title for all 464 owners! Also, surely one of the greatest examples of cover art influencing weak young minds vs the reality of the gfx and gameplay. :) Dat music too!

1 hour ago, Camel said:

Looks like nothing came of this, is that right?

I'd assume it's still in development, but I can't find anything recent about it, so who knows. It's a good job I'd forgotten about it, otherwise it would have been like waiting for Street Fighter 2 to be released.

On a totally unrelated note, I did find this conversion of Toki that's currently in development from another group.

On 13/04/2021 at 22:34, gizmo1990 said:

Ahhhh, what a game! A right of passage title for all 464 owners! Also, surely one of the greatest examples of cover art influencing weak young minds vs the reality of the gfx and gameplay. :) Dat music too!

I never did play it in the day.  My 464 came with a bunch of games but Oh Mummy wasn't one of them.  Off the top of my head it came with Roland on the Ropes, Roland in the Caves, Harrier Attack, Satellite Warrior, Fantastic Voyage and Sultan's Maze.  I definitely didn't have the rest of the common 12-pack.  I'm sure it was a Dixons purchase as well so it's a bit strange.  Unless my folks just binned all the dross like Animal, Vegetable, Minetal and didn't tell me. Or maybe it was just their own in-store deal or something.

1 hour ago, Nathan Wind said:

I never did play it in the day.  My 464 came with a bunch of games but Oh Mummy wasn't one of them.  Off the top of my head it came with Roland on the Ropes, Roland in the Caves, Harrier Attack, Satellite Warrior, Fantastic Voyage and Sultan's Maze.  I definitely didn't have the rest of the common 12-pack.  I'm sure it was a Dixons purchase as well so it's a bit strange.  Unless my folks just binned all the dross like Animal, Vegetable, Minetal and didn't tell me. Or maybe it was just their own in-store deal or something.

You've been robbed! No self respecting 464 owner should have to wander through life with such a weight. You are forbidden from taking the easy way out and simply watching a YouTube play through. The only way forward is to fire up the old girl and experience the magnificence as it should be! To feel the tension of being caught on that last sodding footstep, to have that tune drone its way into your brain forever! ;)

At least you got to play Harrier Attack!

• 2 months later...

It looks like a new version of StreetFighter is being made for the CPC. I like that they've got the 'chibi' route , like the Pocket Neo Geo games and Mighty Final Fight. There was an excellent homebrew of that on the Spectrum.  This looks kinda sweet, I'm guessing there won't be scrolling to keep the speed up. The characters are small enough for the screen to not feel cramped. Maybe they should have gone for Mode 1 instead of Mode 0. But then you'd lose the colour for detail. 

• 2 months later...

Xyphoe, who is probably the CPC's biggest fan on Youtube, featured a preview of the new version on his last stream (timestamped). It has had significant update from the original version. About as near to Sensi as you'll get on an Amstrad,

On 21/06/2021 at 16:47, bplus said:

Just saw this, it looks a lot more fun that nearly every side scroller shooter I've seen.

The original dev of Harrier Attack, Durrel Software, Still exists after quickly changing to making insurance business software after a few games. a few years ago (maybe 10 years or so), they made and released a sequel with 3d graphics and a sort of over-the-shoulder camera. I remember downloading and playing a demo of it, but couldn't then find it the next time I thought of it - I think Durrell decided it wasn't worth the effort to finish (or no-one bought it and it was a bit embarrasing. It's listed on mobygames: https://www.mobygames.com/game/harrier-attack-ii