Jump to content
IGNORED

The Amstrad CPC464


sandman
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, SimonG said:

 

Oh Mummy
 

Good times.

 

Ahhhh, what a game! A right of passage title for all 464 owners! Also, surely one of the greatest examples of cover art influencing weak young minds vs the reality of the gfx and gameplay. :) Dat music too!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Camel said:

 

Looks like nothing came of this, is that right?

 

I'd assume it's still in development, but I can't find anything recent about it, so who knows. It's a good job I'd forgotten about it, otherwise it would have been like waiting for Street Fighter 2 to be released.

 

On a totally unrelated note, I did find this conversion of Toki that's currently in development from another group.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/04/2021 at 22:34, gizmo1990 said:

 

Ahhhh, what a game! A right of passage title for all 464 owners! Also, surely one of the greatest examples of cover art influencing weak young minds vs the reality of the gfx and gameplay. :) Dat music too!

I never did play it in the day.  My 464 came with a bunch of games but Oh Mummy wasn't one of them.  Off the top of my head it came with Roland on the Ropes, Roland in the Caves, Harrier Attack, Satellite Warrior, Fantastic Voyage and Sultan's Maze.  I definitely didn't have the rest of the common 12-pack.  I'm sure it was a Dixons purchase as well so it's a bit strange.  Unless my folks just binned all the dross like Animal, Vegetable, Minetal and didn't tell me. Or maybe it was just their own in-store deal or something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nathan Wind said:

I never did play it in the day.  My 464 came with a bunch of games but Oh Mummy wasn't one of them.  Off the top of my head it came with Roland on the Ropes, Roland in the Caves, Harrier Attack, Satellite Warrior, Fantastic Voyage and Sultan's Maze.  I definitely didn't have the rest of the common 12-pack.  I'm sure it was a Dixons purchase as well so it's a bit strange.  Unless my folks just binned all the dross like Animal, Vegetable, Minetal and didn't tell me. Or maybe it was just their own in-store deal or something.

 

You've been robbed! No self respecting 464 owner should have to wander through life with such a weight. You are forbidden from taking the easy way out and simply watching a YouTube play through. The only way forward is to fire up the old girl and experience the magnificence as it should be! To feel the tension of being caught on that last sodding footstep, to have that tune drone its way into your brain forever! ;)

 

At least you got to play Harrier Attack!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

It looks like a new version of StreetFighter is being made for the CPC. I like that they've got the 'chibi' route , like the Pocket Neo Geo games and Mighty Final Fight. There was an excellent homebrew of that on the Spectrum.  This looks kinda sweet, I'm guessing there won't be scrolling to keep the speed up. The characters are small enough for the screen to not feel cramped. Maybe they should have gone for Mode 1 instead of Mode 0. But then you'd lose the colour for detail. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 21/06/2021 at 16:47, bplus said:

 

Just saw this, it looks a lot more fun that nearly every side scroller shooter I've seen.

 

The original dev of Harrier Attack, Durrel Software, Still exists after quickly changing to making insurance business software after a few games. a few years ago (maybe 10 years or so), they made and released a sequel with 3d graphics and a sort of over-the-shoulder camera. I remember downloading and playing a demo of it, but couldn't then find it the next time I thought of it - I think Durrell decided it wasn't worth the effort to finish (or no-one bought it and it was a bit embarrasing. It's listed on mobygames: https://www.mobygames.com/game/harrier-attack-ii

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Since the decline of the Amstrad CPC, post commercial life has gone from strength to strength. The Amstrad CPC community is now at its strongest since the 1980s. Hundreds of games have been released for the Amstrad CPC over the last decade and just in 2020 alone, over fifty games were released. But which of these games are the best? Join me as we look at the top 40 new games for the Amstrad CPC!
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Someone mentioned golden axe on the c64, it's bloody awful, even when I was nine and saw it in my mates house I realised it was crap. One baddy on screen at a time. Watched the CPC version on YouTube, looks very good. Looks like spectrum one with better graphics

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I vaguely remember Golden Axe on CPC having a bug where one of the keys was also mapped to Quit game so could never get multiplayer to work with my brother back in the day. There was probably a relatively easy fix but we were young and inpatient so sacked it off :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, bplus said:

Someone mentioned golden axe on the c64, it's bloody awful, even when I was nine and saw it in my mates house I realised it was crap. One baddy on screen at a time. Watched the CPC version on YouTube, looks very good. Looks like spectrum one with better graphics

 

I quite liked it at the time. Mind you playing arcade Golden Axe allowed you to pretend you were playing a Conan movie, playing the home port allowed you to pretend you were playing the arcade game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I find most brawlers on the CPC pale in comparison to the original Renegade, which had tight controls, a real sense of impact, and excellent graphics and music. Its only real flaw was that it had to be played with a combination of joystick and keys.

 

Next to it, most efforts just feel sluggish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

I find most brawlers on the CPC pale in comparison to the original Renegade, which had tight controls, a real sense of impact, and excellent graphics and music. Its only real flaw was that it had to be played with a combination of joystick and keys.

 

Next to it, most efforts just feel sluggish.

Agreed. Renegade on the CPC was definitely the best brawler on the platform. Fantastic, colourful graphics, sounds and gameplay. I thought the control system was great and couldn't understand why more games didn't do this. Instead of mapping the arcade buttons to a single fire button use the keys in conjunction with the joystick. I suppose it would have been a pain if you wanted to sit far away from the computer but the screens were so small I don't think many people did. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/01/2022 at 13:12, mash said:

Agreed. Renegade on the CPC was definitely the best brawler on the platform. Fantastic, colourful graphics, sounds and gameplay. I thought the control system was great and couldn't understand why more games didn't do this. Instead of mapping the arcade buttons to a single fire button use the keys in conjunction with the joystick. I suppose it would have been a pain if you wanted to sit far away from the computer but the screens were so small I don't think many people did. 

 

Don't forget Target Renegade 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some of the scrolling effects (even parallax!) that people are getting out of the machine now are incredible. But they still have that really unique and colourful CPC "look".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone remember the clone of Atic Atac that appeared on an Amstrad Action covertape?

 

 

 

I played this for hours. Despite the terrible terrible and annoying sound effects.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/04/2021 at 22:18, Camel said:

 

Looks like nothing came of this, is that right?

 

I'd forgotten about this. Watching it again now and my finely tuned bullshit-o-meter simply exploded.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Benny said:

 

I'd forgotten about this. Watching it again now and my finely tuned bullshit-o-meter simply exploded.

I presume we're talking about Vespertino? The '16bit' Amstrad driving game. I'd have concurred but the Batman Group are responsible for Pinball Dreams which is probably the best piece of coding ever on the CPC platform.  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Benny said:

 

I'd forgotten about this. Watching it again now and my finely tuned bullshit-o-meter simply exploded.

 

"Rhino" has said they're still working on it, but won't give any dates. Anyway, I think it's perfectly feasible for Batman Group to pull it off. Their plan is for it to run off a cartridge, which would help aid whatever trickery they're using as well as a "lite" version that runs off disk. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I played the remake of Bubble Bobble earlier. Really excellent and played surprisingly smoothly. Felt like what my memories of playing the original CPC port was like without actually being like what it was like.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.