rllmuk
sandman

The Amstrad CPC464

I had one - a 464 with external disc drive that my dad bought in 1988. we had a "multiface" for it which was a thing that plugged into the back of the machine and allowed you to do all sorts of things like directly access memory addresses for cheats and to save out the entire memory state of a game to disc.

I found a really interesting article on The Register this morning about the history of the Amstrad CPC (the greatest of the 8-bit home computers ever, Amen, full stop. You can't go after a full stop). It's a little bit techy in places, but a thoroughly interesting read all the same -

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/12/archaeologic_amstrad_cpc_464/

Apparently, now I must buy a CPC464. This always happens.

• Upvote 2

It was all about the green screen monitor for me. I still think if it hadn't have been bundled with one for the approx price of a c64, it wouldn't have done nearly as well. That was the number one reason it was bought for me.

Jeez what have they done on ebay? Just tried searching for one and there's no separate classification for the system. So it lists tens of pages of games with the odd CPC thrown in.

I picked one up from an auction a couple of weeks back, colour monitor, keyboard and a pile of original games.

Got home and plugged it in, got the screen to all come on and power up, left it powered on while I went to the basement and came back to it being off........ after poking about inside I found the 2 Amp Time delay fuse had blown, I stuck another one in but as soon as I powered it back on the new one went bang, shattered the whole glass fuse!!

Any idea what could have caused it?

Had you touched a C64 or Spectrum and not washed your hands properly before you poked around inside it?

Lol, it was filled with dust, which I removed with some canned air, made sure not to get too close to any components in case any static, but there is a switch inside, flicked that a few times before spotting the blown fuse, pretty sure I put it back in it's original position though.

Right, I've given up on this.

It's been sat in the corner of the house since I wrote that message above, anyone want it before it goes out for the bin men? seems a waste if someone else can try fixing it or use some of it for spares, just come get it or cover postage :)

Mike..

What's that you say? You've always longed for the day there would be an internet radio startion streaming Amstrad CPC chip tunes 24 hours a day, 7 days a week? Well long no more.

http://rolandradio.net/

Edit - um....kind of did this as a joke post but it's really good. Tim Follin's Agent XIII is playing right now and it's fudging excellent.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, robotattack said:

This looks ridiculous :blink: Apparently for all models too.

Looks better than many Amiga titles. I’ll believe it when I see it. And no way is that 64k. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, mash said:

Looks better than many Amiga titles. I’ll believe it when I see it. And no way is that 64k. 

Yeah, I'm finding it difficult to believe too, especially on the 64k models. And it would surely have to rely on a disk drive. Still, they did some impressive work with Pinball Dreams, so if anyone is going to do it, it's them.

Edit: Pinball Dreams seems to need 128k, so an expansion pack would likely to be needed too on the 64k machines