IGNORED

Policenauts

Dandy_Sephy

Awesome. Being the ridiculous Snatcher fan I am I played through the Japanese Saturn version not really knowing what was going on but loving the style and atmosphere and Lethal Weapon Sax riffs (and the molesting of the stewardesses etc :-) so I have been waiting for this for years.

Good stuff!

Played until the end of Act 1 last night. Lovely game.

Shame this thread is stuck in Retro. Bearing in mind the majority of the forum has never played Policenauts before, it might be worth starting a thread in Discussion.

I'm not sure encouraging piracy in discussion is necessarily a good move*

*how many people are actually going to legally own copies?

Finished it. Excellent, but I prefer Snatcher. Then again, I finished it in Japanese years ago (the improved Saturn version) so kinda knew what was coming round each corner.

Still, I think it's wonderful that such a big project was completed, and so impeccably at that. Very professional work.

Oddly, this has been getting mixed reactions on different corners on the internet (and this topic only has 9 replies?!). Mostly though it seems to be emasculated liberals who are complaining. Frankly I relished the Harry Callaghan stylings of Jonathan Ingram - due to his deep freeze he's a throwback to an older era, with his own sense of ethics, and alongside Ed Brown the two make a bad-ass pair of politically-incorrect bickering buddies.

And yes, I groped every woman in the game. :quote:

• 3 weeks later...

I'd forgot all about the patch...this is great news

I've now got it running on my psp and its gorgeous (that psx2psp programme is genius). I remember in the mid 90's seeing screenshots of this and being desperate to play it. Better late then never :lol:

Its from my favourite period of anime, before the influence of computer animation was as noticeable as it is now.

It was brilliant booting it up and hearing that tune from the opening konami logo on metal gear solid....which turned out to be the policenauts theme tune!

Wonderful game :(

assuming you legally own the original discs, you could just d/l a pre-patched version.....

Can I just clarify, how is going to 'help'?

I own a copy, but it's second hand, so there's no way the develops or publishers earn any money from my purchase. So is owning a copy just a moral stance? What moral/ethical implications are there if you didn't buy a copy on release (so that the cash went to Konami)? Genuine question; I'm not sure some people have thought this one through...

I own a copy, but it's second hand, so there's no way the develops or publishers earn any money from my purchase. So is owning a copy just a moral stance? What moral/ethical implications are there if you didn't buy a copy on release (so that the cash went to Konami)? Genuine question; I'm not sure some people have thought this one through...

To be fair, the post you refer to credits a 'legal' obligation, not a 'moral' one. There's still a legal obligation to own the original discs, even if that money isn't going to the original creators. There is a certain lack of logic to it, as you say, but that's reality.

I guess if you want to get really pedantic then you could say that at least a second hand sale contributes to the economy by circulating money, contributing tax to the state and helping small businesses if you bought from a shop, online or otherwise. Simply downloading a file without buying something from someone doesn't achieve anything positive.

Simply downloading a file without buying something from someone doesn't achieve anything positive.

I beg to differ, BT is making a mint off us all! :rolleyes:

For those of you who care - the next issue of gamesTM, on sale 01/10, will have a six page feature on Policenauts, including an interview with the fan translators.

If you start posting me free copies, I guarantee monthly (maybe even weekly) blog posts regarding the magazine - positive ones too! Get your marketing people on to it. :angry:

i'm not liable for you pirating it.

better?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Does Policenauts work on PCSX on the original Xbox? (Not that I've ever been able to get anything working on that, but that's besides the point...)

Seeing as my original inquiry fell on deaf ears, I've recently endeavoured to try this out using a pre-patched version I acquired elsewhere, running on PCSxbox. There's some skipping which is easily remedied and some video/sound syncing issues I've yet to get sorted, but seeing as there's not much FMV anyway, it isn't a really big deal going forward. Hell, it's nothing compared to the problem I find myself with now...

I can't switch between disc 1 and disc 2. I'm fairly new at this emulation stuff, but PCSxbox 1.5 just doesn't seem to facilitate such a seemingly straightforward process, at least not with this game, and not without crashing. Disc 2 won't boot up by itself; simply going through the native UI doesn't seem to do the trick either.

Nightmare.

Now I'm stuck with a half-played game until I can find a save file from the second disc, and even then I'm not convinced it'll work. Worst thing is I've really, really enjoyed it thus far. I'd rather finish the game before chiming in with my thoughts, but it suffices to say I'm really, really impressed with it - the game, and the translation.

Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. I'm gonna try converting the bin into an iso and loading it from the xbox's disc drive, but I'm no expert, and I've no idea whether it'll work. Mores the pity if it doesn't, because playing this on a big CRT has been a joy.