rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Asura

Guild Wars 2 - RLLMUK server: "Desolation"

You should have received some experience, copper and karma (very small amounts) when the event failed (the usual gold/silver/bronze pop-up), but it's possible that your contribution to the event wasn't recognised - raw damage seems to be all that counts, unfortunately. This guide might help, it has tips for each profession.

Yeah, I know that. In my case, I landed quite a lot of damage, but my overflow was quite laggy, so it was difficult to do so. I probably just wasn't able to do enough within the time frame. To try and make up for it I spent a lot of time getting people up who were knocked down (as that seemed to work more consistently), as I thought that might contribute, but it seems that it doesn't.

Those rewards look pretty good; shame I was busy this weekend. I could have done with a couple of those things. Still, I'm sure there will be more opportunities as time goes on. It's interesting though that they've offered unique stat-based items for one-time events - unless those are fancy clones of existing items? Most MMOs stick to them being visually distinct.

Doesn't surprise me. There doesn't seem like a lot to do in the game once you hit cap unless you want a massive grind for no reason other than looking pretty.

TRUFAX.

And you know what the reward is for uncovering the entire world map? A star next to your name (other people can see OMG) and two mats needed for high end crafting or whatever. At this point in time I can do several of things:

- invest in a profession

- run events over and over for karma/gold/exp

- obtain the latest flashy gear

- run instances over and over for karma/gold/exp

- create an alt (highly unlikely)

- do WvWvW over and over for karma/gold/exp

:hmm:

The whole experience was a vapid one for me. Sure, the game looked pretty, but it was so generic and vacuous that it was never going to hold interest for long.

It's interesting though that they've offered unique stat-based items for one-time events - unless those are fancy clones of existing items? Most MMOs stick to them being visually distinct.

The sword and focus are just 'named' Exotics with a particular look, you can get functionally identical ones from crafting or dungeon runs. The 'Ancient Karka Shell' earring seems to be unique, though. Loads of people got Legendary precursor weapons from the chest, so they should get a bit cheaper on the Trading Post.

The new dungeons are really, really fun. The one with the hammer and climbing the giant man was brilliant. They missed a great opportunity to play the sad hulk walking away music over the end cinematic though...

Yeah, when you can get organised, WvW is superb, and even if you're in a small group, when you get to know the maps you can still contribute if you know how - a small team is very flexible and can move quickly; you can harass guards or destroy caravans, just make sure you don't hang around after each one!

I haven't actually been into WvW since the invisible army bug was introduced. Did they fix that?

The Elder Scrolls MMO is using the same engine as SWTOR so it's actually far inferior to GW2s. I don't really know much about GW2s engine but I can say that with certainty :D So many of the issues Bioware have had with the game are a result of the engine, it's really atrocious.

Yeah, when you can get organised, WvW is superb, and even if you're in a small group, when you get to know the maps you can still contribute if you know how - a small team is very flexible and can move quickly; you can harass guards or destroy caravans, just make sure you don't hang around after each one!

I haven't actually been into WvW since the invisible army bug was introduced. Did they fix that?

It's not properly fixed, but they're trying out a temporary change for this week's matchup. It might be worth joining IRON for WvW, GG seems a bit dead now.

The Wintersday event starts in a few days:

It might be worth joining IRON for WvW, GG seems a bit dead now.

Really? I haven't done much with them myself for a few weeks as I've had monitor troubles.

The GG guys are really fun to be with, but they are pretty committed to pro gaming in stuff like League of Legends, and their aim in GW2 was to aggressively pursue its E-Sports angle. That's not really a criticism, because if that's what you want, they're an awesome bunch of people, but (for example) I asked about Blobcat and I joining in with LoL and they said it'd be difficult for them, because we're new to the game and those guys are really committed to excellence.

Are the IRON guys a bit more relaxed?

Really? I haven't done much with them myself for a few weeks as I've had monitor troubles.

Yeah, there's generally only about ten or so online, and most of them are representing other guilds.

The GG guys are really fun to be with, but they are pretty committed to pro gaming in stuff like League of Legends, and their aim in GW2 was to aggressively pursue its E-Sports angle. That's not really a criticism, because if that's what you want, they're an awesome bunch of people, but (for example) I asked about Blobcat and I joining in with LoL and they said it'd be difficult for them, because we're new to the game and those guys are really committed to excellence.

Are the IRON guys a bit more relaxed?

I haven't joined them yet, so I can't say. I'd assume so though, WvW isn't really competitive in the way that things like LoL are.

The Elder Scrolls MMO is using the same engine as SWTOR so it's actually far inferior to GW2s. I don't really know much about GW2s engine but I can say that with certainty :D So many of the issues Bioware have had with the game are a result of the engine, it's really atrocious.

Apparently, they arent. The Hero Engine they used was only used for prototyping. They're using their own custom built engine it seems.

http://www.gameinfor...heroengine.aspx

Just in case anyone here is interested in the story/setting of GW1, and how it leads into GW2, someone has put together a pretty good video series about it.

That's the first one. You'll need over an hour to watch them all, but I've been through it and it's reminded me that despite not really being about the plot, GW1 did have a pretty good story.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

His videos are excellent in general, he really loves both games and isn't a screaming lunatic like most youtube gaming commentators. His jumping puzzle ones are particularly great :)

Also, I miss GW2, I've got nobody to PvE with :( If anyone buys it cheap in a year or two please add me as a friend!

His videos are excellent in general, he really loves both games and isn't a screaming lunatic like most youtube gaming commentators. His jumping puzzle ones are particularly great :)

Also, I miss GW2, I've got nobody to PvE with :( If anyone buys it cheap in a year or two please add me as a friend!

I'll join you PK :) Do you want to try to join this IRON guild? I've just applied tonight.

Watching the Flameseeker video has actually made me realise how much of GW1's story stuck with me. I remember every single twist; the Trials of Ascension, the Siege of Thunderhead Keep, opening the Door of Komalie... Weird really because normally I remember very little of other MMOs with story content (I've already forgotten SWTOR's). I think in part it's because despite being a fantasy setting, it didn't fall into the typical setting of Lord of the Rings/Shannara/Warhammer/Warcraft, but really tried to do something different in a high fantasy setting.

It was a pretty good story, wasn't it? You'd have enjoyed the other two campaigns too, Asura. Nightfall especially. It's not often you encounter African influences in games, let alone fantasy settings.

I think GW2 definitely suffers from the insane number of story permutations. I'm up to Arah now (that's the very end) and I couldn't give a monkey's about any of the characters I met along the way. You can tell they just didn't have the time to flesh out the dozens of paths and individuals. Do we really know anything about Trahearne, the only character common to all the possible paths? There are a lot of fantastic set pieces but a lot of the interesting events and encounters are actually side-quests or optional content like the Dungeons and the dragons. Claw of Jormag is good laugh, especially the first time you get the "Crash Landing" achievement.

I god, I'm "doing an Asura" here, aren't I?

It was a pretty good story, wasn't it? You'd have enjoyed the other two campaigns too, Asura. Nightfall especially. It's not often you encounter African influences in games, let alone fantasy settings.

I think GW2 definitely suffers from the insane number of story permutations. I'm up to Arah now (that's the very end) and I couldn't give a monkey's about any of the characters I met along the way. You can tell they just didn't have the time to flesh out the dozens of paths and individuals. Do we really know anything about Trahearne, the only character common to all the possible paths? There are a lot of fantastic set pieces but a lot of the interesting events and encounters are actually side-quests or optional content like the Dungeons and the dragons. Claw of Jormag is good laugh, especially the first time you get the "Crash Landing" achievement.

I god, I'm "doing an Asura" here, aren't I?

Come to the dark side. We have cookies :)

And I did do most of Factions and finished Eye Of The North. Nightfall was the expansion I played the least.

Apparently, they arent. The Hero Engine they used was only used for prototyping. They're using their own custom built engine it seems.

http://www.gameinfor...heroengine.aspx

Thank god for that, I'm interested in it again now.

I am also interested in picking up GW2 but I keep hearing very mixed things about it. The problem is I'm not really into PVP that much and like doing PVE, running instances etc but from what I've heard GW2 caters to the opposite of that. I'm also really not sold at all on the idea of end game dungeons only giving cosmetic stuff as I know I won't be able to force myself to replay the dungeons, especially if it's as bigger grind as people have suggested.

I am also interested in picking up GW2 but I keep hearing very mixed things about it. The problem is I'm not really into PVP that much and like doing PVE, running instances etc but from what I've heard GW2 caters to the opposite of that. I'm also really not sold at all on the idea of end game dungeons only giving cosmetic stuff as I know I won't be able to force myself to replay the dungeons, especially if it's as bigger grind as people have suggested.

For the asking price, there's a huge amount of PvE content, and the dynamic events system and lack of tagging in-world add a huge amount to the standard PvE formula. You're really happy to see other people and the game makes it really easy to group with them in an ad hoc way.

Yeah I wouldn't say GW2 was more PvP than PvE. It's actually a really good balance between the two, and one of the things they have got absolutely right is the way both sides of the game are accessible to all players. If you're not into PvP you don't have to touch it, and there is a wealth of PvE content available. The instanced dungeons are a bit of a mixed bag, but the new Fractals of the Mist is very enjoyable. The game's plot is naff but there's a lot of neat places to explore and interesting encounters to be had, particularly with meta-event bosses.

If you do fancy dipping into PvP, you can jump straight in, as your character will be max level, have top-tier gear, and have all their skills unlocked in the Mists (the PvP areas). There's a "server browser" which allows you to find PvP matches suited to your PvP experience. I'm someone who very much prefers PvE gameplay, but each time I've tried PvP I've had a positive experience.

WvW is a bit scarier, again you're max level but the gear you use is your PvE set. It can be tough sometimes to know what to do, and you can often spend a minute or two running around trying to find something to do, only to be ambushed by a zerg of invaders and killed instantly. But when you're part of that zerg, it's some of the best online competitive gaming I've experienced.

WvW is a bit scarier, again you're max level but the gear you use is your PvE set. It can be tough sometimes to know what to do, and you can often spend a minute or two running around trying to find something to do, only to be ambushed by a zerg of invaders and killed instantly. But when you're part of that zerg, it's some of the best online competitive gaming I've experienced.

Should state also that WvW is a kind of weird mix of PvE and PvP. It's like a massive battlefield with castles and towers and stuff which are populated by NPCs. Whilst as a solo/small group of players you need to stay away from the larger locations (as attacking them will draw other players to you), the whole WvW system is underpinned by a system of resources called "supplies". These "supplies" are carried by convoys of NPCs with pack animals, along road routes guarded by NPC guards. You can quickly move and pick off these NPCs and disrupt the supply lines, and get away fast enough to avoid reprisals from enemy players.

There are also camps of NPCs like in PvE areas. For example, there are some Centaur camps at the north-east corner of the map who will raid friendly caravans and locations; you can go in and kick the crap out of them as part of a dynamic event to "break their morale", and the drops you get from them aren't too shabby either.

So you can actually contribute a bit to WvW by sticking mainly to PvE stuff in the maps - though of course, every so often you'll run into enemy players (or a large enemy force). I find the tension fun, though naturally not everyone does.

EDIT: Finally got around to sorting out my Guild Wars account linking, and ran my Prophecies main to the Eye. The statue I for completing Prophecies got me up to 9 points, so I've just got to power-level my old Ranger pet to max level to get the 10th point, allowing me to claim a fire dragon sword in GW2. That'll look great on my Mesmer :D

Has there been any change to the region locking? I didn't even realize they did this, but it means I can't buy the game unless they've sorted out a solution for people that travel - if I buy an EU copy of the game I need an EU IP address to access it, but can then play on any regions server. That was true at launch at least - is that still the case? Seems a little stupid if so.

WvW is easier and more relaxed than sPvP and LoL, so it's not as... elitist or skill-intensive or knowledge-based, I would say? As long as you're on TS listening to what the commander is saying, you'll pick everything up quickly as all the borderlands are the same anyway :D

I haven't seen GG much anymore on Desolation, which is a shame as we really need more WvW guilds. I think it's the same on other servers too, where people are just losing interest in the game. IRON is exclusively a GW2 guild, so our members aren't being split between different games and we're close to having maybe 150 actives out of 250. Also holding a precursor lottery where the leaders will be giving away SIX free precursors!! No hacks :o

Offski and Wrex are great :) Are you on our TS? Join us for the Friday night resets!

I like running around with the IRON guys. I joined EXG so we use your teamspeak also.

I like running around with the IRON guys. I joined EXG so we use your teamspeak also.

EXG seem like great guys. The new KAZ guild has pretty much doubled our numbers, can't believe we're leading in points this week! What's your ingame character name?

Thinking about getting this. I have an i3 laptop, pretty standard GPU, 4GB RAM. Is it nicely scalable or do I really need a new laptop?

Thinking about getting this. I have an i3 laptop, pretty standard GPU, 4GB RAM. Is it nicely scalable or do I really need a new laptop?

You'll probably need a new one if you want to run things like RvR anywhere near smooth. This games needs a quite hefty computer and especially processor wise they say. I run it on my I5-450M with 4Gb of ram and a 1Gb Nvidia GT540M GPU. Runs ok in soly questing but as soon as there are a lot of players on screen like in RvR and the larger events it more or less grinds to a halt.