rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Asura

Guild Wars 2 - RLLMUK server: "Desolation"

Awesome. Easy money sucks.

I'm only Level 37 as my Mesmer anyway, so got some way to go. Leaving my Elementalist at 67 until my brother's catch up (fucking slackers).

Oh shit, you waiting for me?! Because I'm STILL level 16 you know! :P

(and level 2 on my Mesmer :lol:)

• Upvote 1

I'd quite like to try this. Where is the best place to buy a digital version? I see it's £49.99 on the official site, but there are a few dodgy looking CD key places that are selling it for around £35. I'd like to pay less than £49.99 but not get my card details stolen or get a key that doesn't work.

Thanks!

Had a great time last night with the people from the Genesis Gaming clan ([GG]) on WvW. We managed to get about 25 people together and have a rampage around the Desolation Borderlands. We took back all the supply camps, several towers and two keeps. It's incredible how fun WvW can get when there's a bit of coordination.

post-6052-0-95080600-1350115395_thumb.jp

If people want to do a lot of WvW (and other stuff) I recommend joining them: http://www.genesisgaming.info/ As we're probably never going to get the consistent group size that we'd need to do that kind of thing. They have a Teamspeak server and they all seem very friendly.

• Upvote 1

Desolation appears to be getting a bit better at World vs World:

gw063.jpg

Note how I'm uselessly off to the side in the WvW jumping puzzle (which didn't even work, the vault door at the end wouldn't open). I helped to capture a few of those keeps and castles though, honest! Siege equipment doesn't seem quite so expensive at level 80.

There's a Halloween Event starting in a few days, the bit at the end of that page sounds interesting:

Tyria Evolving

The world continues to evolve with new events, jumping puzzles, bosses, mini-dungeons, and achievements appearing across a variety of maps.

I finally finished my Exotic Rampager's set a few days ago, it was certainly much harder work than getting proper gear in the original Guild Wars. Thanks again to Mr Ben, who crafted the armour for me. I've cunningly transmuted it into shabby equipment from the earlier areas to fool people in WvW:

gw064.jpg

It could be working, I've killed quite a few invaders who went out of their way to chase me down. :ph34r:

I might attempt to join that WvW guild Asura mentioned, a bit of organisation (even just following the orders of a competent Commander, as I did today) does seem to massively improve the experience.

Desolation appears to be getting a bit better at World vs World:

I might attempt to join that WvW guild Asura mentioned, a bit of organisation (even just following the orders of a competent Commander, as I did today) does seem to massively improve the experience.

That guild I joined and a few others have really made a push to try and get something out of it. It's been really fun, and I feel we've made a big difference to our world's score. They have a really good TeamSpeak server too. If you're interested in joining, they're at:

http://www.genesisgaming.info/

They're also getting into Planetside 2.

Thanks again to Mr Ben, who crafted the armour for me.

No probs, I've now got both armor and weaponsmithing at max, as well as cooking and jeweler. Trying to be a bit self sufficient so I can change trait builds and gear setups without costing an arm and a leg. Going to level Artifice next methinks.

Muk is almost dead! Where is everybody!

I'm on Far Shiverpeaks where I was playing with a bunch of friends from swtor, but theyve all gone back to that game (must be mad) so now I'm the gm of a more or less dead guild, admittedly with about 8k influence that I can use and abuse to boost my magic find, karma etc :P

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Great, my account is blocked. Apparently I have a "fraudulent code". Yet it cost 50 EUR, I paid extra for the digital version because I couldn't wait for the boxed version to be delivered. Does this mean they've fucked up and deleted my account?

Their support is useless, and when they disable your account you lose everything.. game access, forum access, the lot.

This is my first MMO, and it's shit like this that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Muk is almost dead! Where is everybody!

I've been working away from home for a couple of weeks with a lengthy commute each day, so haven't had chance to log in. If I'm honest, I'm not particularly missing the game and I got the impression the guild was dying on its arse anyway... :(

If I'm honest, I'm not particularly missing the game and I got the impression the guild was dying on its arse anyway... :(

I've just completely lost interest in it. The main storyline is OK and I like how they cross pollinate (well, the Asura and Slyvari do a bit anyway) but the game is all tits and no arse to me (I'm not a PvPer but I know it's supposed to be good in that area so can see why it'll stay popular). It'll be staying on my comp as it's free, but I really doubt I'll be playing it for any length of time again.

I'm not a PvPer but I know it's supposed to be good in that area so can see why it'll stay popular.

I think that's basically the crux of it. If I wasn't a fan of the PvP side of things, I'd be screwed. As it stands, I find it awesome!

Still only Rank 22 in sPvP seen as I've decided to level for WvW. Currently at Level 73 and looking like a boss (not a slag, DS).

I've generally lost interest as well, also combined with plenty of games coming along recently which I'm having lots of fun with. One thing for me is it doesn't feel that different to many other MMOs, apart from I can kill x and don't need to speak to an npc to start it. Maybe it was/I over-hyped it a bit too much over the last few years.

One thing going for it is the lack of sub so I will dip in and out of it, no doubt at some point it will hold my interest for a while. I'll be back to check out the Halloween event starting next Monday, usually enjoy events in MMOs.

One thing going for it is the lack of sub so I will dip in and out of it, no doubt at some point it will hold my interest for a while. I'll be back to check out the Halloween event starting next Monday, usually enjoy events in MMOs.

That's kinda how it works though. I was the same with the previous one. I'd play it a lot for a month, get bored, then leave, and come back a while later when there had been a content update, expansion or just on a slow afternoon.

I think some people on the official boards have been really disappointed because they've already got 8 characters to level 80 and have full exotic gear on all of them and are complaining that there is nothing to do - I regard myself as quite a big fan and I've yet to hit 80 with one character. It isn't really designed for constant long-term play; of course, there are plenty of other MMOs which do that but they charge a fee.

Great, my account is blocked. Apparently I have a "fraudulent code". Yet it cost 50 EUR, I paid extra for the digital version because I couldn't wait for the boxed version to be delivered.

Where did you get your code from?

I'm still doing pve stuff, just randomly wandering around. I haven't been on an awful lot because of Torchlight 2 and XCOM, although even when I am on there's not a lot of others from the guild as it tends to be between 11pm-3am. I will want to start doing WvW though.

I've only just got to level 30. :/

Where did you get your code from?

A colleague bought them from CJ http://www.cjs-cdkeys.com/.

They have a pretty good reputation. His account still works, only mine is dead.

EDIT: finally got a proper reaction. The code was bought directly from their website with a stolen credit card. I looks like CJs source their keys from crooks in Europe.

I stalled at 65 a couple of weeks ago. Not through lack of enjoyment of the game - I'm hardwired to enjoy the relatively grindy nature of MMOs - but work and a tiny amount of Borderlands 2 have cut down on my effective GW2 time recently. I installed the new WoW expansion on the day of release but have only managed to hand in two quests so far, for example.

I want to to rub my face in the crotch of all of these games as soon as I can, but real life is just making it a total impossibility.

For me the big thing was how the dungeons were just a bit, well.. Rubbish.

I didn't like the secret world too much (shark and top cat loved it) but the group dungeon runs we had going were great and kept me playing a lot longer than I probably would have otherwise.

If the gw2 dungeons were even half as good it would have made such a difference. I also quite missed the healer/tank/dps setup. Some people hate it but it just works and allows boss battles etc to have structure rather than just being a zerg.

I've also suffered with shiny game syndrome with Torchlight, Borderlands, xcom, dishonoured and now football manager. :lol:

• Upvote 1

For me the big thing was how the dungeons were just a bit, well.. Rubbish.

I admit, that's one aspect of the game I have found disappointing too, which is really quite strange, when you consider that the story content of Guild Wars 1 was about 30 1-hour missions that had a plot with cutscenes. They were of a significantly higher standard than the dungeons in GW2, in almost every respect.

I think the main issue I have with them is how you fight boss enemies that have something resembling a million health. GW1 was conceived as being "like PvP" everywhere in the game; this meant that all of the enemies in-game were of a class, just like players, and they had the same health pools, stats and range of skills, with only minor stuff in place to allow them to "fudge" the rules. Enemies effectively played the game by the same rules that you did.

In GW2, the boss enemies have huge health pools and you have to attack them for ages. This'd be fine, in concept, if you had to employ some interesting strategy to beat them, but in my experience so far only one of the bosses in Twilight Arbor required one - for all of the ones in the Manor or the Catacombs, the strategy eventually just boils down to "hit it until it breaks".

It doesn't bother me that much though because I'm having loads of fun in both WvW and world PvE. I've not even touched structured PvP yet. Also, I got new armour for my Mesmer:

post-6052-0-15000200-1350718476_thumb.jp

The thing that really killed dungeons for me, and it's not their difficulty, nor lack of tangible rewards (yay, run a dungeon 50 times for some tokens!!) nor frankly crappy boss mechanics (as Spork says, watered down to essentially zerg fights due to lack of trinity limiting any interesting strategies) but the amount of exploiting that happened with them. I've never seen an MMO ship that had such exploitable dungeons on such a large scale. It instantly creates a divide between the player base (especially when the exploiters weren't getting punished) and in a game that doesn't really have any need for people getting together (other than the PvP) it adds another layer of misery for the social PvE'r.

Yeah, the dungeons are pretty goddamn terrible, really. They're dull, have zero interesting mechanics beyond just graveyard zerging everything to death, the stories aren't particularly interesting, the loot is terrible, the explorable modes are stupidly hard for almost no reward and you have to do over 70 runs of the same dungeon to get enough tokens for the set of armour, which doesn't even give you better stats than what you have, it just looks different. Dungeon running has always been my favourite part of MMOs and this massively let me down in that respect.

I also don't find the world particularly interesting. It all looks very nice, but it's all a bit generic fantasy 101 for my tastes. Snow lands! Jungle lands! Fields! Mountains! It's all been done before and, in some cases, done better. And the terrible character creation doesn't help. I really want a human guardian in the human cultural t3 armour, but all the human male faces look like young boy anime wannabes.

you have to do over 70 runs of the same dungeon to get enough tokens for the set of armour, which doesn't even give you better stats than what you have, it just looks different.

In contrast, this is one element of their design which is bang on. I dislike timesinks granting better equipment like you might suggest. I like the idea that GW2 has been designed so that to get most of the "normal" kit, you can do it playing reasonable amounts, then there's the cosmetic difference for players who do want to go that extra mile.

In contrast, this is one element of their design which is bang on. I dislike timesinks granting better equipment like you might suggest. I like the idea that GW2 has been designed so that to get most of the "normal" kit, you can do it playing reasonable amounts, then there's the cosmetic difference for players who do want to go that extra mile.

It's not timesinks as much as progression though is it? For instance, the horse that likes to get flogged that is raiding. Non-raiders complain about raiding gear and how wonderful it is, but they don't want to/can't commit to the commitment needed to raid, but they still want the gear. Why though? If you're not doing raid difficulty content you don't need raid level gear.

I'll admit that some raiders do have superiority complex and are more than a little disparaging about non-raiders (and even 'lesser' raiders) and I hate the way entitlement gets thrown around at players, but nothing can change the fact that there is a ladder in place, and it's entirely up to you how far you want to climb it. In GW2 there is nothing outside PvP other than the very thing you're decrying - timesinks.

Do 70 runs to get tokens, grind 1million karma, all the precursors to getting legendary weapons or progress through a gamut of bosses with hopefully interesting mechanics. They're all designed to keep you playing, but only one of them actually awards you with anything other than sparkly particles at the end of it.

Each to their own, but I know what I'd rather have for my invested time.

Sparkly particles, surely? I saw someone with Twilight in Lion's Arch the other day, his footsteps left little brushstroke patches of night sky on the ground, woah. :o

It looks like there's going to be a "fix" for the FoV, but I'm guessing it still won't let me set it to glorious 120-degree Tribes-o-vision. I'm not entirely sure what the current FoV is, it feels like it's around 60. The camera smoothing/acceleration was also fixed a bit in a previous patch, though it's still not perfect.

Hmm, does anyone fancy doing the story mode for Sorrow's Embrace (the level 60 dungeon) at some point?

Hmm, does anyone fancy doing the story mode for Sorrow's Embrace (the level 60 dungeon) at some point?

Yeah, I definitely do as I've yet to do it. Looking forward to see what has happened to Sorrow's Furnace in the hundreds of years since Guild Wars.

That guild I joined and a few others have really made a push to try and get something out of it. It's been really fun, and I feel we've made a big difference to our world's score. They have a really good TeamSpeak server too. If you're interested in joining, they're at:

http://www.genesisgaming.info/

They're also getting into Planetside 2.

Hi! I moved over to Desolation from Gunnar's Hold because my friend is there and I've joined IRON guild. Been WvWing with them all weekend, it's been great fun. Really good to see some big WvW-focused guilds on Deso, especially with US guild RUIN joining. Hopefully we can win this matchup against Far Shiverpeaks, although will probably get whooped in tier 1 next week :) This was the score tonight (didn't take the picture): https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/15687/gw003.jpg

Logged in later at 4am into Eternal Battleground and it was all blue, so took the opportunity to do some map completions :D

post-2103-0-42448400-1350880815_thumb.jp

Yeah, I definitely do as I've yet to do it. Looking forward to see what has happened to Sorrow's Furnace in the hundreds of years since Guild Wars.

Have you done it yet? That dungeon was insanely hard, although we were missing a person and stupidly thought we'll try anyway. Took us about 3.5 hours and didn't go to bed until 2:30am. Almost gave up on one boss (even Google wasn't any help) but got there in the end after using lots of condition removals and chipping away and losing the will to live. Not really worth it, as usual :)