IGNORED

Fable III - Coming to PC, May 17th

The Sarge

So Rudderless if you reckon it's exactly as good as fable 2, which game would you recommend that I play, as I never played Fable 2 but I do want to try a fable game(well I played the first and enjoyed it but that doesn't really count).

Also Hargreaves at Metro was incredibly harsh to this game, claiming it's a huge step back and the point of no return for Fable.

It's weird how a series that started off about choice and freedom has gotten so restrictive in several ways. I'll post more tomorrow since I'm knackered but the expression system seems really gimped now for starters. I'm going to miss gathering a crowd together to watch me shit my pants

On a different note, it boggles my mind as to how the game has shipped with the hand-holding mechanic implemented in such an obviously sloppy manner. It's noticeable the very first time you run up stairs how bad it is.

Ordered from Argos as they had the CE for £44.99. The money has been taken for over a week but no sign of a dispatch email or any ability to track the order on their site. It just comes up with 'you must phone our morons on the phone' who are no help whatsoever. The CE has also vanished from their site which doesn't exactly bode well. Seeing as the limited edition is pretty much sold out online I have gone full circle and re-ordered with Shop.to.

When will I learn that I should just stick with companies that I trust to actually get items to me when they say they will. And Zavvi go can screw themselves too. Waiting nearly a week for them to actually ship my Vanquish is not acceptable.

As for Fable 3.....I'm really looking forward to devoting some quality time to it but with this and Fallout vying for my time I am going to have to find some way of shutting myslef away from the outside world.

I'm about 3 hours into this - got the relic, bought a few house in Brightfall and seduced a couple of men :shifty:

I like it. It feels very Fabley. Not sure if I find the story better or worse so far, and not sure I'm keen on the Hero being voiced.

I know I'm going to love the game, but gosh there are some annoyances. It's more a good game with a large list of "hurdles" that make it harder to like - mainly due to how simplified/streamlined things are. (e.g. shops now only sell 1 thing???)

Where do I get a spade? My dog keeps finding things :(

Stalls will only sell a few things, shops will sell more. Some shops have their inventory reduced for scripted moments so you can only get the things you need, e.g. the dweller outfit.

I think you automatically have a spade, if you walk I've to where the dog is indicating to dig and press dig (A), that should be all that's required.

I wouldn't worry. It's Jim Sterling, who slated Vanquish - and many, many other games - too.

I don't know who this guy is but many of the things he said make sense and I experienced them in my game, too.

That's not to say that the Fable magic is absent. It just seems that the series has no idea what it wants to be, changing things for the sake of change and leaving other things, more important, under-developed.

At least I have discovered how to sell items from your inventory - at any pawnbrokers - don't know how I missed this earlier.

The start to this one reminds me of the first game in some ways - its pretty slow and at one point I even gave up exploring away from the breadcrumb trail in the big lake area since it was so empty. And the first big choice was signposted a country mile away...

but what of the game as a whole? is it any good?

For me it's just alright. It is completely streamlined battle-wise and quite repetitive (battle wise again). I was expecting new things in this area. Maybe some proper bosses, etc...

The world feels emptier, the new interaction system is mediocre and the sanctuary is beautiful but unnecessary. I would preferred an option to just see my quests and their starting places without having to go into a map. Also, I would like to use the map to see all the paths or a dungeon I was exploring. In other words, the map is once again very clumsy designed. Big on aesthetics but not very useful. It's better than F2's though.

And the game is really, really easy. It's also very easy to make money, lots of money. And the frame rate has some problems.

Better than fable 2, or too early to tell?

After some consideration - though I'm mindful that I want to go through it again, and also to mop up a few post-ending sidequests - I don't think it is. It feels more polished than 2, its very best missions are better than any in the previous game, the graphics are slightly better (though personally I find much of Albion less attractive thanks to the industrialisation; I miss Oakfield) and the voice acting is brilliant. The build-up to overthrowing Logan is terrific, and there's a real sense that you're gradually amassing an army. And some of the decisions you make are genuinely tricky.

But they're also a little simplistic. As, indeed, is much of the game. Combat's been streamlined when it didn't really need to be, and while I like the way the weapons evolve, it's certainly a shame there's fewer of them to choose from. By limiting the number of interactions available to you, it makes speaking to villagers repetitive and a little silly. The shops don't sell as many items as they used to, which makes each store feel a little empty. And while the Sanctuary's great for a number of things, it makes no sense to have no other shortcuts to the map and options screen, for example. It does feel a little less clunky than the sluggish menus in the last game, though.

There's also a cheap trick towards the end of the game that feels a little unfair. While it prevents people from pre-empting the endgame, it does leave a bit of a sour aftertaste.

That all sounds a bit negative, but I should reiterate that I loved almost every minute of it. I just don't love it quite as much as I did Fable 2, and I think some of the design decisions made, while brave, were ultimately unsuccessful. Albion is still a wonderful place to spend time in, and it remains a charming, funny and uniquely British game. For me, that's a very good thing.

I'm tempted to go back to 2 to see how it plays now, and I can imagine it feeling very clunky after this. It's a fair bit slicker. They're both great games, really.