rllmuk
The Sarge

The Walking Dead!

Apparently this first season stops as the part when they get to the

Prison.

But yeah, seeing as things get even bleaker from that point on, I wonder how much of that they'll keep in for the second series (which has been green lit already by all accounts).

If that's the case, then we should have already met Tyresse by this point in the story; any idea who's been cast to play him?

Hmmm, well, he's not the Idris Elba or Keith David I'd have liked, but I'm willing to give him a chance.

Not like he'll be in it past season two anyway ;)

I'm wondering how they'll do some of the later bits. Did Zok ever enlighten us about which graphic novels we should be enjoying instead of TWD?

What does that even mean? ZOK doesn't have to come up with a list of graphic novels currently published that he believes are in some way superior to The Walking Dead in order to be allowed to criticise The Walking Dead. If he thinks it's shit, he thinks it's shit.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I've never read a Walking Dead Comic, not even looked at any scanned pages. Nothing. I have heard many good things about it and it's given me the impression that it's not about the zombie situation but rather the world around them and that really it's all about the characters. From the comic con panel and interviews it was clear that this is what they are after. It actually reminds me of, don't kill me, 'Lost' in the way that there is all this crazy shit happening but it always comes back to the characters. Was thinking about getting into the comics but then heard AMC, the people behind my favourite tv show Breaking Bad are doing the tv show so felt like holding off since it could be interesting to do it the other way round, watch the tv show first then the comic (even if it takes several years). Anyway, am super pumped for this now after watching the trailer (dammit I want the HQ version NOW). Obviously I'm not saying this will be like Breaking Bad but I think the craftsmanship and passion behind that show will cross into this one. Just from that trailer you can already see some love on a level you rarely see on television.

What does that even mean? ZOK doesn't have to come up with a list of graphic novels currently published that he believes are in some way superior to The Walking Dead in order to be allowed to criticise The Walking Dead. If he thinks it's shit, he thinks it's shit.

Eh? He sounds like he knows what he's talking about, I was looking for some recommendations. Jesus. Some people can be such touchy little manbabies. Besides, Duckula asked originally, not me. I don't know anything about graphic novels, I've read about 30 and they've all been shit except TWD.

Maybe you just read our (or at least my) intentions completely wrongly because you don't like TWD yourself? Whatever, cry more comic nerds :lol:

Edit - -3? Cry more! Your tears slake my thirst.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

Guess what just plopped through my letter box... The latest TWD. Guess what, it's quite fun. Agree with the haters about the art though, it's rubbish.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

This is going to be soooo good - but I've now had The Walker Brothers stuck in my head since seeing the trailer on Saturday and it's starting to drive me mad!

I don't even have a problem with the bits that will be different (like the tank scene), it'll be nice not to know everything that's coming next. But I do wonder how much they'll stick to certain parts of the comic or if they'll tone it down - clearly the bit where he makes into Atlanta is in there but will they be changing

the bit where the horse gets horribly disemboweled by the zombies? Or will they just show him being bucked off and the horse legging it, never to be seen again and leaving it to your imagination?

Apparently this scene was filmed at least, I read an interview with some extras saying they got their hands dirty with some

fake horse innards

Maybe you just read our (or at least my) intentions completely wrongly because you don't like TWD yourself? Whatever, cry more comic nerds :lol:

LOL, the comics nerds are 'against' Morrius now. Man, I bet those comics nerds hate that cool and popular guy Morrius. They're just jealous is all, jealous of that cool and popular guy Morrius. Riding around. In his FUCKING clown car.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

Pah, the TV station wussed out picking this - they should have adapted Crossed instead.

I read that, despite your recommendation not to due to the 'involvement' of kids in it. Easily Ennis' worst work. Felt like an idea he had on the toilet and had to write for a bet. The art was also complete pish too.

Still, shows he's human and not some infallible writing super-computer or something.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

LOL, the comics nerds are 'against' Morrius now. Man, I bet those comics nerds hate that cool and popular guy Morrius. They're just jealous is all, jealous of that cool and popular guy Morrius. Riding around. In his FUCKING clown car.

No, just you. Everyone else is in this thread because they're looking forward to TWD TV series. I find it funny when people get indignant about one comic book or another when they're all pretty trashy at the best of times. It seems pretty inherent to the format, I'm still waiting for Zok (or you, or anyone) to prove me wrong (which I'd gladly accept) instead of getting all comic book guy about it.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

I read that, despite your recommendation not to due to the 'involvement' of kids in it. Easily Ennis' worst work. Felt like an idea he had on the toilet and had to write for a bet. The art was also complete pish too.

Still, shows he's human and not some infallible writing super-computer or something.

I've run out of negs so will have to quote this for wrongness. Sorry TC :(

The art is superb and the story is great - Ellis has been honing his survival horror tropes over a number of books and IMO Crossed is the best. Fucking salt and spunk bullets say you're wrong.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I've run out of negs so will have to quote this for wrongness. Sorry TC :(

The art is superb and the story is great - Ellis has been honing his survival horror tropes over a number of books and IMO Crossed is the best. Fucking salt and spunk bullets say you're wrong.

Superb art? He switches art styles from whatever big name artist he decided to pay homage to that day, throughout the run; no coherence at all in it.

And yes, I'll give you the tainted ammo, and I liked what he did with the woman and kid survivors (no sugar-coating there folks) but it stank of ideas that he wouldn't put in any of this other work. Herr Starr, The Allfather, Homelander, Jody, all quality, nasty insidious antagonists in Ennis books. What does Crossed get? A mutant with a horses cock that he bludgeons people with :hmm:

Meh, maybe I've just been spoiled by what he's put out before and Garth is going through a Liefeld moment ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

At the risk of derailing the thread a bit, can you two (top cat and bobin) give me some comic book/graphic novel recommendations ?

To Morrius:

Try Planetary, Fables, Bone, Crossed (it is fun, TC and I will have to disagree ;) ), Preacher and We3 for starters.

But then, I love the Walking Dead (art and all!)

I'm not anywhere near the collector I used to be, so my knowledge isn't anywhere near as good as some of the people in the Watchtower thread in the Books fora, but I enjoy The Boys, Ennis' Punisher run (arguably his best work) and my favourite series evah, The Maxx.

I'll offer a compromise to bobin and say get CBR and look for Crossed on the high seas, if only so you can back me up on it ;)

E2A: yeah, I love TWD too, and don't get the art hate at all.

• Downvote 1

Morrius, check out The Watchtower thread in the Arts & Literature folder, nice little thread.

Dont read Crossed, its utter shite quite frankly. Im selling a hardback copy if anyone is interested.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Dont read Crossed, its utter shite quite frankly. Im selling a hardback copy if anyone is interested.

I'll second that. Crossed is probably the worst Ennis story I've read to date. His punisher MAX run was amazing though.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I can't believe they've not gotten that Comic Con trailer online in HD etc. The general consensus was very positive so why not get it out there?

I had to stop reading this after Tony Moore was replaced, the art was fucking awful

The world is long overdue a long running zombie tv series though :D

• Upvote 1

I know this isn't the comics thread but I agree with this. Crossed was really poor, Ennis on auto-pilot.