rllmuk
The Sarge

The Walking Dead!

He was in the first episode of the season. I didn't remember him either until I saw the picture below. Seems he's going to be important during the season.

Spoiler

siddiq-walking-dead.jpg

• Upvote 1

The bin people just don't fit. The apocalypse doesn't feel far enough in for them to be speaking like lame Mad Max knock offs. Hopefully they'll fuck off to tomorrow-morrow land sooner rather than later.

How the hell has Rick survived so far. Gets betrayed by the bin people and nearly killed and just walks into their camp hoping they can make a deal. He really is a shit leader and deserves to be offed. Why do they even need them seeing as they have a whole shedload of weapons now and the Saviours are surrounded by the dead.

2 hours ago, Argh said:

Imagine how shocked we'll all be if his plan was to get captured all along!

and imagine Rick's face when they decide to just shoot him in the head. It's not as if they haven't tried it before. 

Well, that was my last episode. Just like the writers, I've completely lost all respect for their characters. I think the breaking point wasn't the complete lack of dramatic tension, or Eugene's increasingly intolerable 'I'm a smart guy so I must use the entire English language' shtick, or even Rick repeating his offer of 'join us!' after being betrayed for the second time by a group who are addle-brained cultists at best and unpredictable psychopaths at worst. 

The bit that killed it once and for all was the nose-diving of Daryl's weirdly sudden murderous/rebellious character arc. After several characters repeated, in various ways, that his plan was a sure way to yank defeat from the jaws of victory, he said that this was the way it had to be for him because 'it just is.' 

Rarely do I run into a piece of writing so lazy that it literally takes my breath away, but that was a real show-stopper, and fuck them for thinking I'd swallow it, quite frankly. 

• Upvote 3

I guess we are meant to assume that Daryl has been tormented by the death of his friends at the baseball bat of Negan (which he triggered if I’m remembering correctly, it seems an age ago), but they forgot to write any of that stuff in on the build up to him going kill crazy as they didn’t want to mess with his bad boy biker sexy redneck appeal. Which is bonkers because who doesn’t love the confused messed up sobbing Daryl with mother issues?! A few scenes with Carol and Maggie would have done the job. 

9 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

Well, that was my last episode. Just like the writers, I've completely lost all respect for their characters. I think the breaking point wasn't the complete lack of dramatic tension, or Eugene's increasingly intolerable 'I'm a smart guy so I must use the entire English language' shtick, or even Rick repeating his offer of 'join us!' after being betrayed for the second time by a group who are addle-brained cultists at best and unpredictable psychopaths at worst. 

The bit that killed it once and for all was the nose-diving of Daryl's weirdly sudden murderous/rebellious character arc. After several characters repeated, in various ways, that his plan was a sure way to yank defeat from the jaws of victory, he said that this was the way it had to be for him because 'it just is.' 

Rarely do I run into a piece of writing so lazy that it literally takes my breath away, but that was a real show-stopper, and fuck them for thinking I'd swallow it, quite frankly. 

Never ever liked Eugene, I could get over his cowardice, that's normal in such a world really but he's just such a dull character who talks absolute bullshit all the time.

I think you're right about that, Spag. In theory it's a good side plot to have Rick's group splinter, with those who have suffered personally at the hands of Negan endangering the careful plans of those who haven't. But the writers' idea of splits forming is as subtle as Rick saying 'I'll let you live, Saviour guy!', Daryl saying 'I won't!' *BANG!* then the two having a wrestling match with a bag of dynamite. 

There's no such thing as the "telling detail" in this show. Those small things which can give you more insight than a load of explanatory dialogue. Like the focus on Eugene in this episode. He's a character obsessed with sounding intellectual to the point of being incomprehensible, so why not have that breaking down the more conflicted he becomes? His language becoming more stilted, clumsy and, well, normal? Much to his frustration, of course. 

My favourite part was Rick - starved of light and mistreated since last week's episode - single handedly kicking the shit out of all the Junkyard Weirdos and not being shot by Head She-Weirdo who was watching the whole thing from point blank range. :lol:

When I say favourite, I mean more of a 'what the absolute fucking hell is going on here??' type reaction in between bouts of laughter.

It's become a self parody. 

• Upvote 1

Do they have some sort of Eugene app that writes his dialogue if you enter it as normal sentences?  I can normally tolerate his idiot savant shtick but the shite coming out of his mouth in this episode made me want to burst my own eardrums.

From the Guardian.

And one can only assume Eugene’s irredeemably and unconvincingly profligate penchant for unnecessarily verbose vernacular and obtuse or malapropistic aphorisms manifests itself with exponentially enhanced verisimilitude when transposed to the visually communicative medium of diagrammatical narrative (“his stupid long words seem less stupid in the comics”)

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Do they have some sort of Eugene app that writes his dialogue if you enter it as normal sentences?  I can normally tolerate his idiot savant shtick but the shite coming out of his mouth in this episode made me want to burst my own eardrums.

"If your auditory perceiver drums burst you won't be able to auricularly discern my astonishing voice.  At least you can still relish my party in the back.  Albeit, a silent party, what with your natural antennae no longer receiving an auditory broadcast signal.  Which doesn't sound like a party at all if get my say so.  But sound is of no concern to you anymore."

• Upvote 3

Is it the mid season finale next week? If so, I'm really glad I get my Monday evenings back. 

I know I'm just being weak and I should just cease this god awful programme after what we've endured this series.. I promised the Mrs that we would watch this series and then decide whether its actually worth watching next year. I can categorically say that next year I won't be tuning in. They can balls up one or two episodes in a series, but they can't expect this level of writing will keep people on side. 

I'm a late starter on season 7 after people who are No Longer Friends ruined who got batted by Neagan (though I'd assumed they'd follow the comics). Anyway, 4 episodes in and both my wife and I have given up. We're officially out, thanks in part to this thread and you re-assuring me it's not just a lull!

We did quite enjoy S1 and S2 of Fear, though, so may get our zombie fix with those. There's just too much good TV/series around to waste it on this any more..

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1