IGNORED

George A. Romero's "Survival of the Dead"

Goose

The same score they gave the risible Diary of the Dead.

Sometimes I get the feeling I'm the only one who likes Romero movies anymore. I like that they all tend to try to do something different with the zombie tale, I loved the whole view of a modern day zombie attack with the availability of social networking.

Also I hated the Dawn remake as it was boring. So yes, I guess I am out on my own little island waving the flag for Romero.

Just finished watching this on BD and really really enjoyed it.

It's cheesy and daft but it knows it and has no pretensions to be anything else. If you go into the film wanting something serious then I'm sure you'll be disappointed but put it on with an open mind realising that it's probably not a 'sequel' to the original trilogy and there's a lot to like. It certainly feels like a Romero film for some reason I'm struggling to put my finger on.

The only thing I didn't like was some of the CGI effects, a lot of which look pretty poor. Definitely no substitute for the old fashioned effects work.

Oh and those that had a problem with the advanced capabilities of the dead in previous films are gonna have a fit when they first see the

horse riding

zombie!

Just finished watching this... I liked it, different to what I expected, like you said the cgi effects are poor, which is a shame, that first zombie headshot really made my heart sink. Otherwise though a good little zombie film, mixed in with almost wild west elements. Gonna give it another watch tomorrow night :lol:

Great,sounds positive!

While there was a lot wrong with 'Diary' I kinda enjoyed it,and upon repeated viewings 'Land' is actually quite good :lol:

Looking forward to seeing this,anyone know if it's region locked?

I have a NTSC/US PS3.

Cheers.

Well, out of the "new trilogy" I can safely say this is my favourite, and I liked the other 2! Cast aside 2 particulary bad cgi effects and this is a very solid romero movie IMO. It's a shame it didn't get a proper cinema release, but I guess with reception land and diary got from the general public it was to be expected. Viewing it for a 2nd time I think the slightly slapstick scenes fit in quite well to break up the action, much like in dawn. Look out for the zombie postman, and the grenade scene, my 2 stand out comedy moments :)

Well fuck me, this is actually good! Not in a forgiving, Romero loving way (i fucking despised diary) but in a truly entertaining, unpredictable and interesting way. The set up is unique, the characters quirky, funny and cool, the gore plentiful and atmosphere spot on. Some dodgy accents and a slightly wooly final showdown scene, but aside from that it was pretty great throughout. Some great set pieces and a nice original premise. My favourite low budget horror in quite some time and probably the best zombie movie since Shaun. Not fit to lick Dawns boots of course, but miles better than Diary. I'm well happy.

The grenade scene was hilarious,almost as good as the deaf/mute amish guy in 'Diary'

Another bit that cracked my up was a crazy sound edit,cutting from the farmyard to a panorama that was basically a sound of a cow mooing!

Good to see the humour is still there.

The fantastic location really serves up well and an excellent combination of well defined characters (marred slightly by Monroe who is terrible) makes for a really suprising experience.

Cinematography is ace and the score is very good too.

Pieces of this remind of that original draft of 'Day'.

Certainly there are echoes of years gone by with the 'Dumbfuck' comments and the dead in corals,

hell even the rhodes style death of Muldoon's right hand man

make it feel more at home with the other movies,much more than diary anyway.

The final shot and script that ran into it gave me shivers too!

Come on george-give us another quick!

Edit:Sorry Squirt

The kinda Western vibe in a zombie film was nice enough, but it felt very thin on ideas, this. As inept as Diary might have been across all fronts, it at least felt like Romero was trying to do something interesting, even if he failed entirely. This is just enjoyable but ultimately forgettable.

Hopefully someone will let him make something other than a zombie film soon.

Almost exactly what I was going to say. I liked it but I probably won't be watching it again.

It wasn't a zombie movie, it was a film set in a zombie universe...

Totally agree. And thats exactly what I want from my zombie movies. its why I love Day so much

Totally agree. And thats exactly what I want from my zombie movies. its why I love Day so much

Didn't you find that this was incredibly reminiscent of Day in many ways.

The army types and the civilians, the civilians trying to teach the zombies something, trying to make them more than what they are. Hell, it even had a guy unlocking a gate to let loose the zombie horde. Oh, and what happened to that guy who got strung up by the foot in the barn. We never see him get munched.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched this the other night, pretty much falls into the forgettable category for me. I liked the whole Three Stooges vibe some of it had, but mainly it was fairly bland- never really got into the main characters and the issues on the island- either way I couldn't give a shit. It felt more like an episode of a TV series rather than a film- I'd rate it above Land and Diary, but never felt any massive tension or fear during it- lacked that real "oh shit" moment where everything becomes too much for the characters. The core group didn't really care one way or another and it was hard not to feel the same way.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched it for the second time, and it's better the for the second viewing.

Some hilarious bits, which are great because they're memorable, much in the same way that the heart rate test scene was memorable in Dawn and say the "Choke on it" line from Rhodes in Day.

Patrick is hilarious, "What do they want a ferry for?" His lines were ace.

The script is good, some find characters and a story that focuses more on character relations rather than just fighting endless floods of zombies.

The film didn't try to do anything wild with the genre, but the ending did give us something new with the realm

eating animal meat

. I hope he does a follow up based on this world.

• 2 months later...

Whilst it is immeasurably better than Diary I think a lot of you guys are being pretty kind on this one. It has some entertaining characters but there was nothing to this apart from perhaps

the ramifications of zombies eating other animals which could be explored in the third film

. The CGI was terrible and it would have been much better if it didn't even have the renegade army lot in the story, even if they do link this film to Diary of the Dead.