George A. Romero's "Survival of the Dead"

A brand new promo trailer for the upcoming George A Romero-directed horror film "Survival of the Dead" has appeared online. Check it out below.

Plot: When the idyllic retreat of Plum Island falls victim to the zombie plague, a new breed of clan war breaks out. On one side is the camp who want to exterminate all undead with a wickedly diverse array of brain-splattering headshots. On the other, devoted family members take the stance that "zombie-ism" is a disease, the undead have rights and they must be kept alive until a cure is found. Unable to simply "agree to disagree," the two clans go to war and make their island microcosm a whole hell of a lot bloodier.

The new movie will have its world premiere at the "Midnight Madness" part of the Toronto International Film Festival in September.

Not sure if it's meant to look like it was shot in the 1980s on VHS but it does add a bit of charm. And looking at the trailer it needs it. That said, the trailer looks a littler bit gorier than the entire Land of the Dead movie. Is it time for George to make something else?

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?...639&count=0

When the idyllic retreat of Plum Island falls victim to the zombie plague, a new breed of clan war breaks out. On one side is the camp who want to exterminate all undead with a wickedly diverse array of brain-splattering headshots. On the other, devoted family members take the stance that "zombie-ism" is a disease, the undead have rights and they must be kept alive until a cure is found. Unable to simply "agree to disagree," the two clans go to war and make their island microcosm a whole hell of a lot bloodier.

Who are the real zombies here? Mmm, makes you think.

I was half expecting Jessica Fletcher to turn up and solve the mystery midway through that trailer.

Saying that, I'll give it a whirl. This certainly doesn't seem to be hiding behind any gimmicks or budget, so it'll be easier to take it for what it's for.

I've got this feeling now that I really don't care much for the undead... After all these years, I think I'm ready to take a break from the genre for a while; it's all becoming far too done.

That looks very, very similar to Day of the Dead. Two factions, need to get the undead to do something other than eat us... It all looks very familiar and it's obvious how things will turn out.

I wonder if there's any new take on the zombie genre these days.

I wish we could turn back time and kill George before he made Land. The dead trilogy are starting to look like a strange fluke!

I dont think zombies are played out at all, I just think that this new rennaisance of zombie movies hasnt created a single classic of the genre other than shaun.

a serious film set in a world where the dead return to life would be incredible

I wish we could turn back time and kill George before he made Land. The dead trilogy are starting to look like a strange fluke!

I dont think zombies are played out at all, I just think that this new rennaisance of zombie movies hasnt created a single classic of the genre other than shaun.

a serious film set in a world where the dead return to life would be incredible

You're pretty much right, there's not been much of recent apart from excuses to throw buckets of blood around.

I wouldn't say that the Dead Trilogy are a fluke, Martin was a great film as was The Crazies. They were all a very long time ago now.

Looking on his IMDB page I see that Diamond Dead is back in production and due out next year. I worked on the game concept for this years ago when I was trying to set up a relationship with George in order to get his blessings for producing zombie games under his name. It was a pretty good idea I thought, and would actually suit an audience now with all the Rock Band, Guitar Hero followers out there.

The story of that was about a shit band that died and made a packed to be brought back to life as undead musicians where they were given this crazy killer amp. A musical or sorts which was supposed to have the songs penned by the guy that did the music for the Rocky Horror Picture Show (Not Richard O'Brien). No idea what kind of state the story or idea is in now, it's been quite a few years since it was last in any sort of production.

WTF!!! I stumble in here all excited and see people bitching about George's later zombie movies!? I liked Land! Not seen Diary yet so can't speak about that. I'll watch it and get back to you.

The first three films a fluke? UNBELIEVABLE. How about The Crazies, Martin, Season of the Witch, Knightriders? The man's a bloody genius.

Bruiser is a pile of shit though.

Romero is one of my few heroes in this world. I still keep the faith, as even though Diary had some awful naff bits, it's still miles better than Argento's Mother of Tears (now there's another hero who's lost it big time...) The acid smashed on the zombies head was pretty cool, just the whole film felt leaden down by the idea of an old man discovering the internet. He needed someone younger to go through the script and take out the OMG! BLOGZ 4 THA WORLD type shit.

Watching this trailer though...there's just no excitement, no adrenaline rush. It feels like I'm watching the trailer to an 80s action film where if they show enough shooting and guns going off it will convince you that its a big action packed film.

I wish he could make something else, he had so many film ideas back in the 80s (I always loved the homage to the 50s drive in era with the spaghetti type alien monsters) that I can't understand why he can't get a low budget film going just off his name alone without resorting to zombies.

I'd watch anything by him.

And I don't think Bruiser is that bad - the main guy's accent is all over the place and the ending should have been somewhere more intimate, more intense than the ludicrous Misfits concert, which felt like it had wondered in from an 80s horror film, but my friends and I all felt it was an interesting film.

Agreed, the trailer does look very shitty and all, but what the fuck is all this 'Dead trilogy a fluke' business? I mean, what the actual fuck?! Go and watch Martin!

The first three films a fluke? UNBELIEVABLE. How about The Crazies, Martin, Season of the Witch, Knightriders? The man's a bloody genius.

o/

• 6 months later...
Romero is one of my few heroes in this world. I still keep the faith, as even though Diary had some awful naff bits, it's still miles better than Argento's Mother of Tears (now there's another hero who's lost it big time...) The acid smashed on the zombies head was pretty cool, just the whole film felt leaden down by the idea of an old man discovering the internet. He needed someone younger to go through the script and take out the OMG! BLOGZ 4 THA WORLD type shit.

Watching this trailer though...there's just no excitement, no adrenaline rush. It feels like I'm watching the trailer to an 80s action film where if they show enough shooting and guns going off it will convince you that its a big action packed film.

I wish he could make something else, he had so many film ideas back in the 80s (I always loved the homage to the 50s drive in era with the spaghetti type alien monsters) that I can't understand why he can't get a low budget film going just off his name alone without resorting to zombies.

I'd watch anything by him.

And I don't think Bruiser is that bad - the main guy's accent is all over the place and the ending should have been somewhere more intimate, more intense than the ludicrous Misfits concert, which felt like it had wondered in from an 80s horror film, but my friends and I all felt it was an interesting film.

I loved mother of tears! and sleepless, and jennifer. I think Argento still has it

• 3 weeks later...