IGNORED

Best action directors around

kerraig UK

Blade 2 is when Hollywood action, in particular fight choreography, all went wrong for me, that hideous habit for cutting the camera every fraction of a frame rather than just showing the fucking fight for long enough from one angle to enjoy what was going on

I think this is a method of glossing over the lack of good fight choreography, don't remember Blade 2 being too bad for it Snipes is pretty good and Donnie Yen was choreographer.

I think this is a method of glossing over the lack of good fight choreography, don't remember Blade 2 being too bad for it Snipes is pretty good and Donnie Yen was choreographer.

I held off saying that cos the original Blade didn't suffer from it and defintely since then there have been movies which clearly had good stunt people but still went with that totally overblown camera style, really annoys me as have always loved a good fight in a movie

No one mentioned Len Wiseman Or Paul WS Anderson? :)

I'd like to see what Del Toro did with it, same as Cuaron, but I can't imagine either of them getting it. If Del Toro were to direct it, it'd be in 2019 or something like that. Back in the day, I reckon John McTiernan would have done something interesting with it.

Perhaps a bit too old to take on a major action flick but what about Verhoeven?

You've got to be able to span the action and sci-fi genre which sounds like a no-brainer but obviously isn't like that. What about Jon Favreau? I reckon he could do it, but might struggle with the Master Chief personality.

Paul Verhoeven only really succeeds when he's doing black-as-fuck comedy. Total Recall is probably the closest he's gotten to a straight-up sci-fi film, but he's probably too subversive to do something like Halo, which is earnest, eyes-wide space opera.

The Hollow Man shows what happens when he's not got any irony to sink his Dutch teeth into.

David Twohy was great on the director's cut of The Chronicles of Riddick. I'd like to see Edgar Wright tackle a blockbuster action movie, though I'm not sure Halo would be a good vehicle for him.

Edgar Wright talked the talk about how great an action director he was before Hot Fuzz came out, which made it especially disappointing to see how rubbish the action was in the film. It's flatly directed, repetitive, and dull; I bet it had double the budget of something like Desperado, and doesn't have even half the inventiveness in terms of the action scenes.

David Twohy is actually not a bad shout, as he's demonstrated a talent for the sense-of-wonder spectacle that would be essential for a Halo film; the bit in Pitch Black where the creatures first swarm into the skies like terrifying starlings was SF gold. Thing is, nothing he's done since has come close. I really wanted to like Chronicles of Riddick, but everything that I liked about Pitch Black seemed lost amid the noise and fury, and the noise and fury in itself wasn't actually that interesting or engaging.

As linkster said earlier, Kathryn Bigelow. She's easily as good as James Cameron and knows how to film action, even though I haven't seen it yet The Hurt Locker seems to show she hasn't lost any of it

What about Kurt Wimmer? Too-Wachowski-esque?

After Ultraviolet he should never be let near a film camera ever again.

What about Kurt Wimmer? Too-Wachowski-esque?

That, and the fact that every film he's even touched is complete and unmitigated shit. He's like the Everything A Pound version of The Wachowski Brothers.

Edgar Wright talked the talk about how great an action director he was before Hot Fuzz came out, which made it especially disappointing to see how rubbish the action was in the film. It's flatly directed, repetitive, and dull; I bet it had double the budget of something like Desperado, and doesn't have even half the inventiveness in terms of the action scenes.

Hot Fuzz is puzzling though, because it doesn't appear like they were actually trying to do good action scenes? I agree that the action is is rubbish and I don't think it works for the film, but I got the impression it was a conscious decision to go with piss-take Naked Gun type action rather than actually try to make a good action film.

Hot Fuzz is puzzling though, because it doesn't appear like they were actually trying to do good action scenes? I agree that the action is is rubbish and I don't think it works for the film, but I got the impression it was a conscious decision to go with piss-take Naked Gun type action rather than actually try to make a good action film.

From the interviews Wright & Pegg did at the time, I got the impression they were blatantly trying to make a proper action film. They put their heart and soul into it. I mean, the way it's directed would imply the joke is that this big action film is taking place in a small village in Somerset. The action scenes just look boring, rather than deliberately lame and off-key.

Stephen Norrington (director of Blade). That opening in the rave, plenty of blood, and the end fight with the most fucking awesome dance shit was EPIC. Is it out on blu-ray yet?

The only film he's done since then is League of Extrordinary Gentlemen, which was obviously awful, but I blame that on Connery being rather difficult to work with.

Oh shit, what about Alfonso Cuaron? The action in Children of Men was gut-wrenchingly glorious.

I think this is the best suggestion (other than the ones I already mentioned :)) for a Halo movie.

I don't see del Toro at all. I love his films but Halo doesn't seem an easy fit.

Stephen Norrington (director of Blade). That opening in the rave, plenty of blood, and the end fight with the most fucking awesome dance shit was EPIC. Is it out on blu-ray yet?

The only film he's done since then is League of Extrordinary Gentlemen, which was obviously awful, but I blame that on Connery being rather difficult to work with.

I think he'd have the potential - but there's no way they'd give him a shot after League, no matter whose fault it was (and I think there were issues on both sides, along with the rain washing away a chunk of set just before shooting). But I reckon he could carry it off. He's currently working on a new version of The Crow.

i thought the action direction in Hellboy 2 was really flat and almost boring.

none of the scenes have stuck in my mind at all.

I loved the scene with the Earthelemental and the fight choreography was pretty good, in particular the scenes involving Luke Goss' characters. Blade 2 was more dynamic though, but then again, Hellboy never was Jackie Chan.

Cameron already directed Halo, in 1986.

:facepalm: I thought that would be the spiritual predecessor to Halo: ODST that he made?

I'd also go with Cuarón, those long one shot scenes from CoM combined with Halo would be made of wub.

Cuarón would be better saved for a Half-Life film, Children of Men already gave off a fairly strong H-L vibe.

If the Halo film does ever get off the ground, I'd rather they made a good film with reasonable action scenes, than some memorable action sequences couched in a crap film.