rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Darhkwing

Terminator : Genisys

Yip, the term is "soft reboot". Basically a retelling of the original, slight change to the story new actors playing similar characters., but enough nostalgia references to keep the old punters "happy". With the aim of kick starting a franchise.

See also Jurassic World.

And kinda The Force Awakens

Remember when this was the start of a trilogy? Well, the next one has been pulled from release schedules. They're not commenting further. It's been replaced with Baywatch, starring Zac Efron and The Rock.

• Upvote 1

But didn't it do pretty well ticket sales wise? Tripled its budget or something.

Apparently not so good domestically.

[edit]

As of September 17, 2015, Terminator Genisys has grossed $89.7 million in North America and $350.4 million in other territories for a worldwide total of $440.2 million.[3] Only Terminator 2: Judgement Day earned more at the box office in the Terminator franchise.[87][88] Given its $155 million production budget and the $50–100 million analysts estimate was spent on marketing, Bloomberg Business estimated that the film would have needed to earn at least $450 million during its theatrical run to break even.[89] In August 2015, Forbes highlighted Terminator Genisys as the first American film to earn $400 million worldwide without also crossing $100 million in North America, a distinction only shared with French film The Intouchables.[90]

Apparently not so good domestically.

[edit]

It's another of those films whose calamitous box office was seemingly propped up to semi-respectability by China's horrid taste in films. See also: Point Break (2015).

Maybe it's a trilogy of bad failed Terminator trilogy introductions.

Maybe someone keeps sending cyborgs back in time to make sure they don't get made, lest sky movies becomes sentient...

The only respectable future for the franchise is if Cameron comes back and does a future war film called Skynet and forgets about the time travel stuff, in the same way that Star Wars needs to forget about Death Stars.

Basically, remake Aliens and replace the aliens with machines.

If the latest movie didn't fail as badly as it did, they would have continued with their plan for another two sequels - but how would they have done this with the rights reverting to JC next year?

Jason Clarke makes a lot more sense in his natural voice

the rest of the time he's just a weird bloke who's face is too small for his head.

• Upvote 1

Not sure there's anyone more forgettable an actor as that bloke. Even as I'm looking at him, I'm forgetting him. His name never sticks in my head. He's the ambulatory version of cheap vanilla ice cream.

• Upvote 1

I watched this yesterday whilst down with a cold. I hadn't seen any of the trailers but knew by reputation that it was not a great film.

I've never been so confused/bemused by a film.

Yep it is total bobbins.  A real toss up as to which is worse this one or the Christian Bale one.  The new one Dark Fate though is miles better.  Shame it is not doing so great at the box office, which I blame squarely on these two turds knifing the franchise straight through the heart.

• Upvote 3

There are really good bits in Salvation. Basically all the Anton Yelchin stuff and some of the tech. 

Poor Anton Yelchin, by the way. What a horrible way to go :(