Take A Pic Of Your Dinner!

I had some bread left over from last week's work sandwiches, so I decided to try making breadcrumbs. The logical conclusion from breadcrumbs for me is chicken katsu, so that's what I did. I bought a shedload of chilis the other week, and as I don't always use them quickly enough they usually go brown and a bit runty so I shoved half in a big bottle of vinegar to make chili vinegar. I fished out the chilis last night and fried them after the katsu. I think the whole ones were better than the ones cut in half, which disappeared a bit, but they were still nice. Sauce on top of the katsu was tomato sauce, siracha, a bit of the chili vinegar and some soy sauce. (Sauce added after the snap) Very nice!

2013-03-13234200_zps16236238.jpg

Recipe please.

No worries. Serves 4

250g butternut squash - peeled. diced and deserved

250g cauliflower - cut into small florets

3tbsp groundnut oil

1 red onion - finely chopped

4 garlic cloves - finely chopped

200g aubergine - cut into chunks

3 tbsp Thai red curry paste

400ml coconut milk

100g mangetout

100g cashew nuts

2 kaffir lime leaves

Juice of half a lime, plus extra to taste

Salt and black pepper

1 red chilli (I used a green one)- thinly sliced

Coriander leaves

2 tbsp pumpkin seeds, toasted (I didn't have any)

Method

Put the squash and cauliflower in the slow cooker.

Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and add the red onion, stirring for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and fry for a further 1-3mins until the onion is softened. Remove to slow cooker. Heat the remaining oil in the pan, add the aubergine and fry, stirring until softened. Add a little extra oil if necessary. Stir in curry paste for one minute.

Add the coconut milk and bring to the boil while stirring, then pour mixture into cooker. Stir in mangetout, cashew nuts, lime leaves and lime juice and then season.

Cover the cooker with a lid and cook on Low for 5 hours until the squash and cauliflower are tender.

When cooked, stir and add a little more lime juice and salt and pepper. Sprinkle with red chilli, coriander and pumpkin seeds.

I had mine like that but you can serve it with rice or naan bread.

Enjoy!!

• 2 weeks later...

I remembered!

Mrs Fox did the pastry (used beef suet instead of grated bone marrow)

903824_10151510188041749_14319534_o.jpg

The stuff in the dish:

882762_10151510187911749_298503834_o.jpg

Done:

562114_10151510289691749_1701965651_n.jp

883912_10151510289596749_25936805_o.jpg

Recipe here if you don't want to buy the cookbook. But you really should buy the cookbook: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/dec/02/hawksmoor-oxtail-cheek-pie-recipe

We tweaked it a bit:

- Mrs Fox used more thyme in the pastry, and also a couple of tsp of mustard powder. We reduced the egg yolks by half because 4 seemed ridiculous for something already so rich

- Shin instead of cheeks

- Milk stout instead of pale ale (the meaty maltiness of stout works better in stews IMO, as long as it's a fairly sweet one, and it gives it a nicer colour. Mackeson's is the best widely available one for cooking; certainly better than Guinness)

- Whole shallots instead of diced onions (would heartily recommend this tweak; they were amazingly sweet)

- Dried porcini instead of button mushrooms (I always think mushrooms release too much water in stuff like this)

- Added some thyme/bay when cooking the stew

- Omitted the garlic

- Added some umami paste, as I do with anything beefy. Marmite would also work fine

It was comfortably one of the best things I've eaten in a while, although you certainly can't gorge on it due to the fattiness of every bite.

Homemade pittas and pork souvlaki. Obviously I watched Paul Hollywood's Bread show this week!

The pittas were amazing, so much better than shop bought.

Woah, that looks amaaazing. Can I ask what recipe you used for the pita?

First proper meal I've cooked in ages.

Mustard and herb crusted rack of lamb, with minted peas and broad beans:

2D3C508D-F90A-4F6C-AF83-3D3822C5BEC7-191

This looks incredible. My Mum hated lamb as I was growing up and it's not really a big thing where I'm from, first time I've had it at all was in Dubai when I was 21. It seems so intimidating!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/pitta_bread_97296

This is the recipe I used for the pitta breads. I didn't bother mixing by hand, I used dough hooks on a hand mixer. Much easier!

Cheers!