rllmuk
Blue

Take A Pic Of Your Dinner!

1 hour ago, stephen129 said:

Salade niçoise

IMG_20200530_162331.jpg

One of my favourite summer dishes. That looks tasty, hope you managed to it eat it outside.

On 03/06/2020 at 14:59, Horribleman said:

That looks fantastic. Perfect char on those peaches.

You’re not a very horrible man are you

Here are some short rib tacos I made the other night with another sexy salsa and some bits and bobs. Short ribs disintegrated when I took them out the pan, flavor was astonishing. Shit picture sorry. I snapped it while loading the Westworld finale. 

Yes, I mainly cook Mexican or tex mex dishes. I did a ceviche the other day but forgot to take a picture. 

017CE0ED-E374-490E-BB9F-836F4C30BF8A.thumb.jpeg.284b5bcf393380b49b58aaa41341a009.jpeg

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

You’re not a very horrible man are you

Here are some short rib tacos I made the other night with another sexy salsa and some bits and bobs. Short ribs disintegrated when I took them out the pan, flavor was astonishing. Shit picture sorry. I snapped it while loading the Westworld finale. 

Yes, I mainly cook Mexican or tex mex dishes. I did a ceviche the other day but forgot to take a picture. 

017CE0ED-E374-490E-BB9F-836F4C30BF8A.thumb.jpeg.284b5bcf393380b49b58aaa41341a009.jpeg

Looks good. Where did you get the short ribs from out of interest?

7 hours ago, stephen129 said:

Looks good. Where did you get the short ribs from out of interest?

My regional grocery store, Wegmans, is legendary in the NE. It’s like a foodie’s Disneyland inside. All manner of fabulous quality produce, hand-baked bread, deli counters etc, and excellent sushi chefs and butchers etc. You can get anything from sushi grade tuna to live lobster, from a rack of lamb to a slab of pork belly to duck confit. You could buy a whole half cow if you had the cash. And it’s not overpriced and staffed by crusties, unlike Whole Foods. Their international food sections are bangin’, they sell Lion bars and Yorkies in addition to Marmite and Tate & Lyle golden syrup. Best vegan and gluten free sections I’ve ever seen. 

This supermarket sounds amazing! How come we don't have anything like that down south. 20 brands of kimchi?! I swear I only see about five brands at most in Korea foods.

8 hours ago, stephen129 said:

This supermarket sounds amazing! How come we don't have anything like that down south. 20 brands of kimchi?! I swear I only see about five brands at most in Korea foods.

Waitrose is pretty good, no? 3 different kinds of quail eggs!

16 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

Waitrose is pretty good, no? 3 different kinds of quail eggs!

I actually really dislike Waitrose. I find the fruit is worse than Tesco but at M&S prices (which is actually worth the money). Ready meals have been completely meh. Pretty much everything I've bought from Waitrose has been pretty bad. The only good thing is that they have some interesting products that other supermarkets don't sell, but aside from that, they just use their name to sell overpriced stuff to middle aged white people who are convinced anything from Waitrose is the best quality.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, stephen129 said:

I actually really dislike Waitrose. I find the fruit is worse than Tesco but at M&S prices (which is actually worth the money). Ready meals have been completely meh. Pretty much everything I've bought from Waitrose has been pretty bad. The only good thing is that they have some interesting products that other supermarkets don't sell, but aside from that, they just use their name to sell overpriced stuff to middle aged white people who are convinced anything from Waitrose is the best quality.

Fair enough man, having worked there I would describe the latter half of your post to be 100% accurate. 

I agree with that. But it's the nearest 'big' supermarket to us, so when we can't be arsed with the trip to the big Tesco we often go there.

8 minutes ago, stephen129 said:

Char siu and rice. Missing Asian food on this lockdown.

Don't suppose you have any good vegetarian Asian recipes like Dan Dan Noodles or that kind of thing? We like hot sour food. 

2 hours ago, Horribleman said:

Don't suppose you have any good vegetarian Asian recipes like Dan Dan Noodles or that kind of thing? We like hot sour food. 

I don't cook vegetarian much, most Chinese dishes that are vegetarian are side dishes. Having said that I love things like dou miao, gai lan etc (Chinese greens). 

I would check out this channel for Chinese recipes. I guess you could sub out the meat with quorn, or omit it altogether.

• Upvote 2

I got inspired watching John Torode's Korean tour prog on the Food Network, I've been using Gochujang (fermented chilli paste) for a while now but had a pot of Doenjang (fermented soy bean paste) I never found a recipe for, until now.

This is Tteokbokki, Korean street food which has a lot of variations apparently. The little chewy rice cakes are interesting, and there is good texture with carrots, onion, spring onions and pork mince left a bit clumpy. The star though is the sauce, the base liquid is lemonade (trade secret apparently according to John T) and has vinegar, sesame oil added to the jangs - the result is a fiery/sweet/tangy/umami thing that brings your whole mouth alive, my partner (whilst wolfing it down) said it felt like she was having a mini stroke in her mouth (this was a positive apparently) - be super easy to to replace the pork mince in this with a veggie option and the main dish would go great with just plain rice instead of the rice cakes. Oh and its need some salt adding, Torode doesn't do this.

For something so quick this delivered in spades.

tteok.thumb.jpg.694f24c01f43c3a6c3d4bdf7551687ca.jpg

Here is the John T version being cooked (its the original plus lots of added asian text), I have no idea if the text is translating what he's saying or calling him names for murdering a classic. 

• Upvote 1

Had a cabbage that I really needed to use today and so with the weather being a bit grey I thought I'd make a quick roast, not a full chicken but a breast with skin. About 3pm when everything was already prepared the sun came out in force. Wasn't really in the mood for it by the time it was cooked, way too warm, it was nice though. And at least I din't waste that cabbage.

20200427_171942.jpg

• Upvote 1

Roasted aubergine, courgette, red onion and tomatoes with olive oil, garlic and rosemary. Served with my first attempt at homemade tzatziki which was absolutely banging.

8BC22602-AAD8-42DE-880C-EBE3C2AEE481.jpeg

8FFB7C70-3A03-4E96-97C3-E36AF63577B8.jpeg

• Upvote 5

I really fancied some fish & chips and contemplated taking a drive somewhere to get some but then remembered I had some fish in the freezer and made my own. 

The colour on the chips is a bit disappointing, not the freshest oil, but they were spot on for chip shop style chips. 

img_20200630_173057.thumb.jpg.554f2de4dcb1e73c98562e765f95c0ef.jpg

• Upvote 5

Finally got round to making sushi for the first time. The roll kinda fell apart, (used too little seaweed and didn't roll tight enough) but the chirashi don came out ok. Got to use my very nice koshihikari rice from Japan too.

IMG_20200701_202206.jpg

IMG_20200701_203541.jpg

• Upvote 3

Nothing fancy but really felt like a chicken curry. Had a batch of sauce ready to go so that's what I had. Got a homemade egg custard with a cup of tea now. Yippee!

20200704_190242.jpg

• Upvote 2

On 23/06/2020 at 07:12, Gotters said:

I got inspired watching John Torode's Korean tour prog on the Food Network, I've been using Gochujang (fermented chilli paste) for a while now but had a pot of Doenjang (fermented soy bean paste) I never found a recipe for, until now.

This is Tteokbokki, Korean street food which has a lot of variations apparently. The little chewy rice cakes are interesting, and there is good texture with carrots, onion, spring onions and pork mince left a bit clumpy. The star though is the sauce, the base liquid is lemonade (trade secret apparently according to John T) and has vinegar, sesame oil added to the jangs - the result is a fiery/sweet/tangy/umami thing that brings your whole mouth alive, my partner (whilst wolfing it down) said it felt like she was having a mini stroke in her mouth (this was a positive apparently) - be super easy to to replace the pork mince in this with a veggie option and the main dish would go great with just plain rice instead of the rice cakes. Oh and its need some salt adding, Torode doesn't do this.

For something so quick this delivered in spades.

tteok.thumb.jpg.694f24c01f43c3a6c3d4bdf7551687ca.jpg

Here is the John T version being cooked (its the original plus lots of added asian text), I have no idea if the text is translating what he's saying or calling him names for murdering a classic. 

Tried this just now. It was delicious. The whole family enjoyed it. I love the texture of the Korean rice cakes. Didn’t add any salt and didn’t think it needed any but that may be because I could only find seasoned soy bean paste. 

I can see why he compares it to a Spag Bol but you get great flavour without having to cook it for hours. 

Thanks for posting!

• Upvote 1