Jump to content
rllmuk
Blue

Take A Pic Of Your Dinner!

Recommended Posts

I think sourdough is the best vessel for grilled cheese (although technically this is a "melt"). This cheese began life on the inside of the sandwich:

 

IMG_20190529_190004.thumb.jpg.ca4f9440edf114d27f28289453e955e6.jpg

 

IMG_20190529_190114.thumb.jpg.fb9a76eb0936a0c539eb8abda28bf724.jpg

 

IMG_20190529_190240.thumb.jpg.c0caec5ecb351cc1bbd4bc7d9aedec31.jpg

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say that a couple of things seemed to make a big difference: the Marcella Hazan tomato sauce (which I made the day before and the flavours really came out well in the finished dish); and draining the mozzarella (which gives it a firm texture). 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tourist said:

I would say that a couple of things seemed to make a big difference: the Marcella Hazan tomato sauce (which I made the day before and the flavours really came out well in the finished dish); and draining the mozzarella (which gives it a firm texture). 

It doesn't mention Marcella Hazan tomato sauce in the recipe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It just mentions a generic tomato sauce and when I googled a tomato sauce recipe by the same author that's the one that came up - it's the one that was doing the rounds on the internet a while back: just stick a halved onion, tin of tomatoes, and a load of butter in a pan and simmer for 40 minutes. And as I say, leaving it overnight seemed to improve it a lot.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Tourist said:

It just mentions a generic tomato sauce and when I googled a tomato sauce recipe by the same author that's the one that came up - it's the one that was doing the rounds on the internet a while back: just stick a halved onion, tin of tomatoes, and a load of butter in a pan and simmer for 40 minutes. And as I say, leaving it overnight seemed to improve it a lot.

 

Why have I never made this?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, stephen129 said:

 

Why have I never made this?

 

There is literally no excuse. Here is the recipe, in American (ugh, what the fuck is a cup??):

https://food52.com/recipes/13722-marcella-hazan-s-tomato-sauce-with-onion-butter

 

I used a regular tin of tomatoes, about 100g of butter, and half a huge onion. 

(I fished the onion out after cooking and ate the whole thing, on its own, before storing the sauce in the fridge overnight before using it in the Rachel Roddy dish...)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/06/2019 at 15:11, Tourist said:

 

There is literally no excuse. Here is the recipe, in American (ugh, what the fuck is a cup??):

https://food52.com/recipes/13722-marcella-hazan-s-tomato-sauce-with-onion-butter

 

I used a regular tin of tomatoes, about 100g of butter, and half a huge onion. 

(I fished the onion out after cooking and ate the whole thing, on its own, before storing the sauce in the fridge overnight before using it in the Rachel Roddy dish...)

Made it. It's so good. 

 

Having the leftovers for lunch. 

 

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190614114049685_COVER.thumb.jpg.214fcfc2e05b9299832084f52840615f.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been eating nothing but bananas, prunes and tinned soup all week, bar a meat and potato pasty on Monday which was a bad idea. This was due to feeling ill all week.

I woke up very late this afternoon due to this sickness, whatever it was, and I was starving. I felt like I hadn't ate for a week...well erm, yeah.

 

Anyway I had a few things in but fancied some real junk carbs and sugars and well..

 

IMG-20190621-WA0000.jpeg

 

And no it wasn't too much (got loads left tbh) and it didn't make me feel ill again. 

 

Was just what the Dr ordered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sweet chilli chicken thighs, tenderstem broccoli (both cooked on the cast iron), Kewpie mayo, furikake, jasmine rice. Very quick 10 minute dinner (rice was leftover from yesterday):

 

 

IMG-20190629-WA0024.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/06/2019 at 02:28, Tourist said:

Tried Rachel Roddy's Parmigiana di melanzane over the weekend. 

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/jun/03/rachel-roddy-recipe-parmigiana-di-melanzane

 

Came out a little sloppy - probably put way too much tomato sauce on it.

 

But holy shit was it tasty.

Parmigiana 2.jpg

Parmigiana.jpg

Thanks for posting this. Made it again for dinner tonight. 00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190713135419973_COVER.thumb.jpg.21101beafb589b5271da872d514687d9.jpg

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not my dinner, but my daughter asked for one of each type of tomato chopping up and then ate none. 

 

So I tried this. Toast with butter, Marmite, tomato, mayonnaise and black pepper. 

 

Bloody delicious. 00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190714093846405_COVER.thumb.jpg.f162cb967bb229190e741d66a1ffc5a1.jpg

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a bit of a foodie yesterday. Kicked off with a 4am cycle to Billingsgate Market for some tuna. Then a nap followed by an American style grilled sandwich (inspired by craving cheese on toast and not having a grill).

 

A97B2AFD-816D-4878-A793-F3704A715DDB.jpeg

 

I then made the point of the visit, tuna sashimi, with vegetable maki as a side. My first ever attempt at either. I sharpened my best knife which went through the tuna like butter and played with the angle a little. The rolls were far simpler to make then I expected and could be perfected with practice and some more flavour as just the veg was a little bland to be a dish in its own right.

 

2017474A-372A-45B5-A379-849924613B28.jpeg

 

E8D065BE-46A8-4EB2-B8C7-D973E4DE27D5.jpeg

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.