IGNORED

Anyone Else Grind Their Own Spices?

Blue

I just got done grinding a whole new batch of spices for the Indian cooking I enjoy so much. Freshly ground garam masala is one of my favourite smells.

Anywhy, just wondering who else grinds their own spices and agrees that they are so much better than buying pre-ground - or something.

For anyone looking for a wonderful garam masala blend, I use:

1 Tbs Corriander seeds

1Tbs Cumin seeds

1tsp Green cardamons

1 tsp Cloves

1 tsp Black peppercorns

1 Cinnamon stick (about 3 inches)

1/2 A small nutmeg

4 Black cardamons (I take the husks off and just use the seeds)

Grind 'em up, et voila! Wonderful stuff, even if putting a level teaspoon into your baked beans during heating is the most adventurous you want to get.

I use this little coffee grinder.

3804114204_f99dab2d27_m.jpg

Grinding your own, specially with a coffee grinder like that is fantastic.

I tried to revive and old hand grinder I bought in Turkey this morning but it was rusted to beyond the grave.

It's jars I have the most trouble with. I want dark glass and decent lids. I'm tempted to get one of these though for everyday spicing of food...

Masala-Dabba-Big.gif

I always prefer to grind my stuff up when I'm making Chai, we've got a mortar and pestle and I think I'm the only person that's used it!

Nice. Spiced tea is it? What's your recipe?

Grinding your own, specially with a coffee grinder like that is fantastic.

I tried to revive and old hand grinder I bought in Turkey this morning but it was rusted to beyond the grave.

It's jars I have the most trouble with. I want dark glass and decent lids. I'm tempted to get one of these though for everyday spicing of food...

Masala-Dabba-Big.gif

*Wants*

I tend to just use a mortar and pestle, partly as I don't have a grinder and partly as you get the most wonderful aroma, especially from freshly roasted spices.

Hell yes, that's what I'm talking about! Doesn't matter how you grind them, just that you get the full flavour and aroma of freshly ground rather than something that's a pale shadow of that because it was ground 6 months ago in a factory.

I don't tend to roast mine but I keep meaning to try.

Rick Stein went to that spice factory this week and they were all coughing with the chilli filled air.

Turmeric interests me as I used to think it was dreadful and I couldn't eat things with it in but I guess the quality must be improving as I like it better now.

Bit like the old days when you thought parmesan was defined by the ready grated stuff.

I'm on my 2nd grinder now since trying to grind turmeric. It chewed up the blades and spat them out. That's one spice to buy ready-ground - God knows how they do it, it's diamond-like.

A friend of mine had a big knob of it stashed away in his jacket pocket for months. Then he tried to grow it - unsucessfully

The Food Programme on Radio4 was all about coriander today and was very interesting. You can catch it on iplayer.

I used a pestle and mortar to knock something together last week, based on a ramsay recipe (so shoot me).

Yellow split peas were the bulk of it, mixed with cloves, cardamom, etc..

Cue a good half hour of solid grinding, and me being reduced to a pathetic sweaty mess! Ace fun.

May have to invest in one of those coffee grinders though :lol: Not sure I'm man enough to grind my own all the time!

Ooh did you? What was it like and what were you doing out there?

Did it yellow-up your face? :D

Second part of the honeymoon in Zanzibar. We went on a spice tour before going on to another town for the day.

And yes, it stained like you wouldn't believe :) . I mean, we all know it stains but I touched a bit the size of a penny and my fingers and teeth were incredibly yellow and it wasn't going anywhere! It wasn't very nice, as you'd imagine. I don't think I was supposed to taste it like that. The ginger on the other hand. Amazing and nearly took my head off. So hot.

In case anyone's interested we saw cloves, vanilla, cardamom, black pepper, nutmeg/mace, ginger, cinnamon etc. All on their respective tree/vine/root and then some got picked for us to smell and taste. Then they talk you through how they process them and all that. Very interesting indeed. The highlight was the fruit tasting at the end, especially the jackfruit which I suggest you all buy if you ever see it.

In case anyone's interested we saw cloves, vanilla, cardamom, black pepper, nutmeg/mace, ginger, cinnamon etc. All on their respective tree/vine/root and then some got picked for us to smell and taste. Then they talk you through how they process them and all that. Very interesting indeed. The highlight was the fruit tasting at the end, especially the jackfruit which I suggest you all buy if you ever see it.

That's fantastic. I have no idea how some of them are grown and processed. Post pix please!

Nice. Spiced tea is it? What's your recipe?

Couple of Cardamom pods, couple of cloves, couple of peppercorns, half a cinnamon stick and a small bit of Ginger, along with some regular tea and sugar to taste. You're supposed to put it in a saucepan with a mugful of water, bring it to the boil and add the milk, and whilst this does make it better I usually bung it all into a tea ball instead and brew it like a normal cuppa.

That sounds like a fantastic honeymoon. I hope you both had a lovely time.

Must have been fun looking at all those things in their growing state, you being a growerererer and all that. Do you think any of them might grow over here? I'd love to have a cardomom garden.