Louis Theroux ~ The City Addicted to Crystal Meth

I just noticed this and when I searched I couldn't find a thread;

You've got to admire Louis Theroux's pluck and the fact that he never lets his Bertie Wooster-ish baffled charm slip. "Hello Brett, I'm Louis. I'm from the BBC. British Broadcasting..." Theroux is holding out his hand to a blank-eyed crystal meth abuser who's been arrested in a drugs raid. The addict is too zoned out to know what's going on, but his clearly distressed granny has no problems in chatting to the man from the BBC. Theroux is in Fresno, California, where the cheap, easy-to-produce crystal methamphetamine is laying waste to countless lives. It's the world's most abused hard drug, he says, and its users for the most part live pointless, empty lives. Theroux, bless him, strides into every situation that presents itself - he attends a drab backyard barbecue with a bunch of users and joins a rehab session. What emerges is a terrible picture of loss and despair. Says one police officer, "[Crystal meth] is like a plague on this generation."

I'm off to a cider farm this afternoon so there's a good chance I'll miss tonight's airing :lol:

I just noticed this and when I searched I couldn't find a thread;

I'm off to a cider farm this afternoon so there's a good chance I'll miss tonight's airing :hat:

That's a rocky route to crystal meth if ever I saw one.......

I'll be watching this, thanks for the heads up.

I won't be able to watch this tonight, but I'll be sure to catch it on iPlayer during the week. I think Louis Theroux is great.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8190120.stm

I've saw an advert for this, and the one where those two women get pulled over by the Police, and seeing how they change once Louis says something to one of them (it's not a massive spoiler or anything obviously, I just think it's pretty poignant just seeing it).

random thoughts

A fairly lightweight show on a heavy subject.

Louis was his usual disarming and engaging self. It is really something to see how people trust him to portray them honestly.

Meth is the flithiest drug i've come across.

When I lived in Sydney (from 2003-08) )it was rife to say the least. I've had friends stay awake for days at a time so I can well believe the woman who said she was awake for seven days. Imagine not sleeping for that long would do to you and then add being banged out of your mind on the strongest speed around.

EVERY one of my friends who tried it more than litrally a couple of times ended up with a major problem including one tried to kill himself, another is in jail

In my book there's recreational drugs and then there's DRUGS and meth is the worse of the DRUGS.

I saw an ABC documentary on the A&E ward in a Sydney hospital and the frontline doctor said he yearned for the good old days of heroin.

Whilst looking for that one I found this http://www.sbs.com.au/dateline/story/watch...n/The-Ice-Storm

In short unpleasant shit

Its cheap, highly addictive and ultra-powerful. "Ice", or crystal methamphetamine, is now more popular than heroin. It plays havoc with the minds and the bodies of addicts, filling emergency wards with dangerous, psychotic patients.

But little is known about the long term effects of the drug or even how to treat the addiction. And health services are not prepared for the chaos ice has just started to unleash.

This weeks documentary reports on the hidden epidemic. “These are the most out of control, most violent human beings I’ve seen in my whole life and I've been around a long time”, despairs Dr Gordian Fulde, Head of the Emergency Unit at St Vincents hospital. “It makes heroin seem like the good old days.

http://www.babelgum.com/121548/australia-ice-age.html

I don't if I'd say it's popular (in relative terms) but the gay scene in London certainly has a fair number of recreational crystal users.

It hasn't taken off in this country in nearly the way I think it was expected to around the turn of the decade. Maybe it will do in time but as a drug I think it's gotten a deservedly hideous reputation before it has had a chance to take hold here. Whether that is down to the police or just the drug taking communities where this typically starts I don't know.

Give it time.

it's cropping up in the most unlikely places. when i was back in Scotland a few weeks ago, there was a report about some guy in the far north who got busted for having his own meth lab and another about how it's becoming more popular, again in the north of Scotland.

it's cropping up in the most unlikely places. when i was back in Scotland a few weeks ago, there was a report about some guy in the far north who got busted for having his own meth lab and another about how it's becoming more popular, again in the north of Scotland.

If it catches on with anybody, it'll be the Scotch.

This program was thoroughly depressing, there wasn't a single humourous moment. It was pretty powerful, but also devastating to see the fragmented families in the show.

Just watched it and was bored out of my mind. The documentaries he did a few years back where he met celebs and followed them around were far more suited to his light hearted style.

I was going to post something along those lines.

I did learn things (I had no idea that Crystal Meth was such a destructive drug) but I just don't feel his style suits these issues so much. His friendly, bumbling approach to things affords him access to people but it prevents him from really persuing any hard information and when he's covering subjects like this I don't think it's enough. I'd like to have seen him pushing for more info in this documentary but he just pulls back and stops. What's more, I think he was probably a harder interviewer when he was making light hearted stuff about Jimmy Saville and Paul Daniels.

Just watched it, and whilst it was enlightening, but it's in the same vein as the PCP episode he did. Remember when the episode that feauted the Phelps family? That was absolutely shocking. I think these episodes lack that.

The advert was properly upsetting for this though, when he asked the woman about her kids.

I wished he'd got to meet some of the 'cooks', from the references in the show it sounded like generally the people that created it were often users themselves, often partly due to the fumes from making it, which puts a bit of a spin on the dealer scenario where's it's often found that they're not users of what they sell.

I've loved all of Louis output so far, he offers a look inside the world he's talking about. Sitting in that house with the group of people using, the children and the stolen goods.

He does seem to have this feeling that he should be making a point that he's disgusted with what goes on around him there, and I don't think he needs to do that. I'm not sure if it's a sort of self defense mechanism to protect him against others that might say, that him just being there and witnessing the goings on makes him somewhat accountable. I don't see that though, and I'd be more than happy for him to stay as anonymous as he can and let the world carry on around him. There's no doubt how he feels about what he's seeing, and him presenting that has led to some interesting scenarios, but really what's happening there is that the people he's filming are being filmed with an elephant in the room, and they're not going to act as they normally would if someone is questioning their ways.

He doesn't do it a lot though and does let many scenarios just play out around him, and they're powerful moments to watch.