rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
fasteasyfree

Game of Thrones (All book discussion in marked spoiler tags please)

From reading his blog I think George is splitting his time working on some of the screen plays for this and dance with dragons

Oh to be so young and optimistic.

HBO just retweeted this updated cast list. I've not read the books so didn't realise there were this many characters. Seems a huge amount of people.

I think they've nailed it for pretty much everyone, at least in terms of looks.

This can't come soon enough for me. When is it kicking off again? Mid-2011?

I really can't see Jerome Flynn as a really rough badass with a sharp tongue and even sharper wit, can anyone see him playing off Tyrion?

Not sure about Varys either.

I love the girl they got for Arya as well, it's like they took the picture of her out of my head.

Goose, Cookie, I love you guys.

I'm still waiting for the video to load (damn slow hotel wireless) but reading the article made me laugh.

The show is titled after the first novel in the series. Martin has planned seven books in the series, and the plan is to turn each book into a full season of television.

Do they know how many years we've been waiting for A Dance With Dragons? Unless he pulls his finger out, stops writing comics and going on signing tours he's not going to get that done, let alone the two he's still hasn't started after that. I can remember when A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons were meant to be a single book. I'm surprised they have any confidence that he'll have finished the books before they catch up with him.

Goose, Cookie, I love you guys.

I'm still waiting for the video to load (damn slow hotel wireless) but reading the article made me laugh.

Do they know how many years we've been waiting for A Dance With Dragons? Unless he pulls his finger out, stops writing comics and going on signing tours he's not going to get that done, let alone the two he's still hasn't started after that. I can remember when A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons were meant to be a single book. I'm surprised they have any confidence that he'll have finished the books before they catch up with him.

I posted about a year earlier in this very thread on this. My small ray of hope for this series getting finished is the Stephen King Dark Tower Series, which had a very similar trajectory (5 year gaps between 3 -> 4 and 4 -> 5, but then the final two books came within two years of book 5).

Stephen King had similar issues writing the seven book Dark Tower trilogy, but eventually overcame them.

The first four books spanned 15 years, with a six year gap bewteen four and five, but then he pumped out books six and seven within a year of five being published:

The Gunslinger (1982)

The Drawing of the Three (1987)

The Waste Lands (1991)

Wizard and Glass (1997)

Wolves of the Calla (2003)

Song of Susannah (2004)

The Dark Tower (2004)

Martin was averaging about a two year gap betwen books, then a five years to book four. Dragons if it comes out in 2010 (quite likely, judging by his most recent blog post in June), would be another five year gap; hopefully six and seven will come out in 2011 then:

A Game of Thrones (1996)

A Clash of Kings (1998)

A Storm of Swords (2000)

A Feast for Crows (2005)

A Dance with Dragons (forthcoming)

The Winds of Winter (forthcoming)

A Dream of Spring (forthcoming)

Will be interesting to see what happens if the show is a mega-smash and he pops his clogs while it is airing. Can they legally write their own script for the final three books? (presumably they'd need to seek permission from his estate or something...)

I think I read somewhere that he'll provide the HBO writers with plot outlines for the remaining books if and when they catch up with him. Though I'd be surprised if the show lasts that long, based on Rome and Deadwood being cancelled early.

Will be interesting to see what happens if the show is a mega-smash and he pops his clogs while it is airing.

Well, the Wheel of Time series sped up and improved after Robert Jordan's death so we might actually get to the end of the series. I'm re-reading them at the moment, so its interesting to put their idea of faces up against mine. Some are good, but Catelyn Stark is about 10 years too old (she's meant to be early/mid-thirties).

Great aren't they? :) Jaime's absolutely spot on. Dany's wardrobe looks fantastic, the whole wardrobe looks wonderful in fact. I think I'm most excited about Peter Dinklage's Tyrion though. :) Been an enormous fan of his since The Station Agent. I pray he can muster up that vicious aspect of the Imp's.

I've been checking the Winter Is Coming website practically daily for a few weeks now ever since they said they were going to focus test the Pilot. It was pencilled in for early November originally (6th or something) and there was no NDA mentioned upon the people taking part. It went away again for a tiny bit more tinkering before the focus. There should be one on the horizon. I'm eager to hear impressions. :)

I'm just coming up to reading the end of A Clash of Kings and thought I'd take a break to munch on a cookie and read some news about the TV show.

ON THE SET

by Bryan Cogman

MDINA, Malta - What day is this? Where am I? I'm a bit wired and confused. Even more than usual. Been traveling for almost 20 hours... After a brief visit to New York I flew to Dublin, then Frankfurt, then Malta, with some long layovers in between. I can't sleep on planes so I filled the time the way I always do these days: rereading 'A Song of Ice and Fire.' About halfway through my fifth read of 'A Clash of Kings.' It's a good thing I love these books. Still, it might be good for my sanity if I force myself to read something else once in a while - any suggestions, loyal readers?

We'll be shooting material for nine episodes in Malta for several weeks. I'll be here for about three weeks for the first block - Episodes III through VIII (Brian Kirk and Dan Minahan directing). Filming on Episodes I & II continues in Belfast (Tim Van Patten at the helm) and Alan Taylor has begun prep on Episodes IX and X. Needless to say, it's a lot to keep straight.

Today we're in Mdina, the old capital of Malta. We're using this atmospheric, medieval walled city for various exterior scenes set in King's Landing, the capital city of Westeros. I want to be careful to avoid spoilers here, so all I can say is today we're filming an important showdown from Episode V, featuring some impressive swordplay.

Until next time, friends,

Massive Image Alert!

dagger.jpg