rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
fasteasyfree

Game of Thrones (All book discussion in marked spoiler tags please)

Just read book three and loved it even more than the TV Series. Kept me on the edge of my seat.

Started book 4 which I'm finding very hard going, only a few chapters in but am finding it hard to carry on. Does it get better?

Just read book three and loved it even more than the TV Series. Kept me on the edge of my seat.

Started book 4 which I'm finding very hard going, only a few chapters in but am finding it hard to carry on. Does it get better?

Hrm...

(vague book 4 discussion)

Book 4 has its moments, though I'm currently on a second read-through of the series and finding 4 tough going once again. There's a lot of history and lore in there that's interesting the second time through, but the first time I just wanted stuff to happen and there's not much of that. There is at least one good OMG moment towards the end, but if you're finding it a drag might I suggest (and I'll probably be condemned for blasphemy by someone or other for saying this) that once you've read about a third of 4, you start reading 5 alongside it. The first (roughly) half of 5 takes place at the same time as 4 so there won't be spoilers from reading out of order. You'll know when the you've got to the end of 4's timescale in 5 because 4's POV characters start creeping in again.

• Upvote 1

Just finished Season 2. Really enjoyed it. Yes the scale rarely matches what the books convey but it's a decent trade off for trimming GRRM's not insubstantial fat.

It's actually got me hoping they deviate from the books more and more...within reason.

Um....Jojen Reed didn't die in the books yet! At least not on-page! And he's not as annoying or as played-by-little-snot-from-Love-Actually!

That was me comparing the books and TV show in a way that can't possible spoil future plot. Did it work?

Ok lets give this a shot. So with regards to

(S4E10)

Tyrion's escape

How do we feel about the differences in the book? Particularly

(End of Storm of Swords Part 2)

The omission of the truth about his first wife;

The difference in Tyrion and Jaime's parting relationship, and the lack of telling Jaime about Lancel;

The lack of context in how he somehow managed to pop up from the secret passage in the Hand's chambers that was never mentioned until now;

The murder of Shae being changed into a self-defense fight;

The lack of checking to see if Tywin really did shit gold