rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
fasteasyfree

Game of Thrones (All book discussion in marked spoiler tags please)

This series could be great! I've just finished 'Feast of Crows' and hope the next book is released on time in October.

As for the series, only HBO could get away with a tale of murder, patricide, regicide and incest that Martin has created.

I'm pretty happy with the casting so far.

Who are they gonna pick for The Hound though, I want Ray Stevenson (he's great in the Rome series).

This could be amazing! I'm just re-reading through the series now in preparation for the new one coming out, up to Feast of Crows already as I got a bit carried away on holiday and read books 2,3 and 4 on the bounce.

I could see some sort of cockney hard man as The Hound, someone like Ray Winstone maybe?

James McAvoy as Littlefinger

Get as many brits in there as possible basically

This could be amazing! I'm just re-reading through the series now in preparation for the new one coming out, up to Feast of Crows already as I got a bit carried away on holiday and read books 2,3 and 4 on the bounce.

I could see some sort of cockney hard man as The Hound, someone like Ray Winstone maybe?

James McAvoy as Littlefinger

Get as many brits in there as possible basically

Ray Winstone I think would be spot on. You'd need someone pretty massive to play Gregor, though.

Ron Pearlman could suit up for it, or if they want a real life giant I guess a wrestler such as Big Show. Alternatively use the same special effects trick they used for Hagrid in the Harry Potter films, although personally I think I'd prefer a real life giant for the role (it's not as if he gets much dialogue, just needs to ride around on a horse beheading people pretty much)

I'm really looking forward to this. I only started reading the books earlier this year but found them compulsive reading to the extent that I'm all caught up now and waiting for the new one.

I'm really looking forward to this. I only started reading the books earlier this year but found them compulsive reading to the extent that I'm all caught up now and waiting for the new one.

Does 'A Feast of Crows' get better? I think I'm about a third of the way through but I'm really struggling as it keeps flicking back to characters I have absolutely no interest in reading about. Up to the latest I couldn't put them down but I'm finding this one a real chore.

Does 'A Feast of Crows' get better? I think I'm about a third of the way through but I'm really struggling as it keeps flicking back to characters I have absolutely no interest in reading about. Up to the latest I couldn't put them down but I'm finding this one a real chore.

I liked it, though possibly not as much as the previous ones.

Cast looks good so far. Sean Bean is :rolleyes:

Also, Dance of Dragons still scheduled to be released after Duke Nukem Forever? I'm going to have to reread the books, they're a complicated bunch and i've forgotten too many key details!

Yes, Robert Jordan's last book is going to come out first, and he's dead.

Well, the first part of it anyway, as despite all their protestations it's been split into 2 books.

Aren't there another two or three books to come after dance with dragons?

Martin, in all seriousness, will likely have passed away before this series draws to a close...

Hopefully ADWD is just some sort of hump and it'll all be smooth sailing from here..... agree with my optimism!

Hopefully ADWD is just some sort of hump and it'll all be smooth sailing from here..... agree with my optimism!

Stephen King had similar issues writing the seven book Dark Tower trilogy, but eventually overcame them.

The first four books spanned 15 years, with a six year gap bewteen four and five, but then he pumped out books six and seven within a year of five being published:

The Gunslinger (1982)

The Drawing of the Three (1987)

The Waste Lands (1991)

Wizard and Glass (1997)

Wolves of the Calla (2003)

Song of Susannah (2004)

The Dark Tower (2004)

Martin was averaging about a two year gap betwen books, then a five years to book four. Dragons if it comes out in 2010 (quite likely, judging by his most recent blog post in June), would be another five year gap; hopefully six and seven will come out in 2011 then:

A Game of Thrones (1996)

A Clash of Kings (1998)

A Storm of Swords (2000)

A Feast for Crows (2005)

A Dance with Dragons (forthcoming)

The Winds of Winter (forthcoming)

A Dream of Spring (forthcoming)

Would be pretty miraculous to have the trilogy complete by 2011 though, if it takes five years apiece for six and seven, assuming Martin lives to 70, we're looking as late as 2020 :eyebrows:

Here's hoping for the former!

/EDIT- Quite interesting reading through the wikipedia entry for the series:

After A Storm of Swords was completed in 2000, Martin began writing A Dance with Dragons, the intended fourth volume which would pick up the story five years after the previous volume. Martin found it difficult to make this work without an over-reliance on flashbacks. At the World Science Fiction Convention in Philadelphia on 1 September 2001, Martin announced that he was scrapping more than a year's work and writing a different fourth book that would fill in the gap, named A Feast for Crows. He found it extremely difficult to go back and start again, especially as this novel was not planned for in his scheme for the series, and work on the book progressed slowly.
By May 2005 A Feast for Crows had become longer than A Storm of Swords and his publishers said they could not publish the book in one volume. They suggested splitting the book in two and releasing the volumes as A Feast for Crows, Volume I and A Feast for Crows, Volume II, but Martin was unhappy with this idea. After discussing the matter with his publishers and his friend and fellow writer Daniel Abraham, Martin decided to split the book by character and location instead. The published A Feast for Crows thus contained all of the characters in the South of the Seven Kingdoms, while the forthcoming A Dance with Dragons will contain the characters in the North, the Free Cities and in Slaver's Bay.
Martin has addressed the issue of fan frustration with the many delays in releasing Ice and Fire novels, even fears/insults that he will "pull a Robert Jordan" and leave the series forever unfinished

...so sounds like the problem is that he has deviated from his original plans for the series, with Feast and ADWD basically filler between Ice and Fire and the last two books and also must be tough being constricted by so many narrative constraints- pov, some characters excluded, some characters have to be included, only locations x and y can be used, must fit neatly into five year gap between book four and book six / seven

Loads of casting news today

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Jamie Lannister, he was very good in Virtuality I thought and has the look

Tamzin Merchant as Deanaerys - Obvioulsy making her character a smidge older than in the books

Richard Madden as Robb

Iain Glen as Ser Jorah Mormont

Alfie Allen as Theon - Is this Keith's son and Lily's bro?

Sophie Turner, as Stark's eldest daughter, Sansa - She was the little girl in The Family of Blood episode of Dr Who IIRC

Maisie Williams as Stark's young tomboy daughter, Arya, No clue who she is.

edit: Well at least I've posted the names rather than a link :)

Deanearys and the daughters are big big parts to get really, their in every book nearly.

I seriously cannot wait for this, filming starts in October I believe.

Tamzin Merchant as Deanaerys - Obvioulsy making her character a smidge older than in the books

I'd love for them to keep her young, if just for the greatest shitstorm ever at the massive underage sex.

Then again, it'd probably kill the franchise dead so I guess not. Or elevate it to greater heights by infamy.