Sign in to follow this  
fasteasyfree

Game of Thrones (All book discussion in marked spoiler tags please)

Do the videos on that site work for anyone? I just see a white window (right clicking says Flash, movie not loaded).

If I open the page in Firefox I get a different error, but same result.

Is that Lady in the picture with Sansa?

I was wondering how they'd do the dire wolves, if that is Lady then they've gone for normal size dogs which is disappointing, they should have gotten some massive deer hounds. Then again I suppose Lady is still really young there.

Tyrion looks far to nice, he really should be far uglier.

Stephen King had similar issues writing the seven book Dark Tower trilogy, but eventually overcame them.

The first four books spanned 15 years, with a six year gap bewteen four and five, but then he pumped out books six and seven within a year of five being published:

The Gunslinger (1982)

The Drawing of the Three (1987)

The Waste Lands (1991)

Wizard and Glass (1997)

Wolves of the Calla (2003)

Song of Susannah (2004)

The Dark Tower (2004)

Martin was averaging about a two year gap betwen books, then a five years to book four. Dragons if it comes out in 2010 (quite likely, judging by his most recent blog post in June), would be another five year gap; hopefully six and seven will come out in 2011 then:

A Game of Thrones (1996)

A Clash of Kings (1998)

A Storm of Swords (2000)

A Feast for Crows (2005)

A Dance with Dragons (forthcoming)

The Winds of Winter (forthcoming)

A Dream of Spring (forthcoming)

I always feel compelled to counter complaints about Martin (I'm one of those complainers by the way!) with David Gerrold's War Against the Chtorr sf series. It's been 17 years (!) since the fourth book was published and he's got three more to write. Admittedly he's less likely of dropping dead than Martin, but at 66 years old he's no spring chicken.

1.A Matter for Men (1983)

2.A Day for Damnation (1985)

3.A Rage for Revenge (1989)

4.A Season for Slaughter (1993)

5. A Method For Madness (forthcoming)

6. A Time for Treason (forthcoming)

7. A Case for Courage (forthcoming)

:(

Back on-topic, has there been any news as to when A Game of Thrones will be shown?

This looks like it could be something special.

http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/

It doesn't look that good to me, personally. Granted I know nothing about The Game of Thrones book, but by the looks of that trailer, it's not something I'd watch, and I'd watch ANYTHING by HBO. It looks like a cheapo version of LOTR and lacks the 'authentic' look of other HBO shows like Treme, The Sopranos or Six Feet Under.

That's fair enough based purely on a minute's worth of teaser, but consider giving the narrative aspect of it a chance before you dismiss it entirely. :) Beneath the fantasy stylings that may not immediately grab you, there'll (we hope) be a delicious amount of character-based taling to be found.

Is charactocide a term worth coining?

Yes, it is actually very different to the LotR style of fantasy. More grounded, more political, characters are far less black and white, lots of sex - midgets included. ;)

It doesn't look that good to me, personally. Granted I know nothing about The Game of Thrones book, but by the looks of that trailer, it's not something I'd watch, and I'd watch ANYTHING by HBO. It looks like a cheapo version of LOTR and lacks the 'authentic' look of other HBO shows like Treme, The Sopranos or Six Feet Under.

Given that Treme, The Sopranos, and Six Feet Under are all 'present day', it's always going to be a touch easier for them to have an authentic look.

That trailer made me squeal like a girly; I'm so damn pumped for this.

The characters are all looking great, and the scenes, despite them only being shown in short flashes, all look just how I pictured they'd be. Tyrion being captured in the Inn looked spot on and Eddard's speech to Robb about the execution came across so well.

:omg: :OMG: :omg: :OMG: :omg: Spring here we come!

Given that Treme, The Sopranos, and Six Feet Under are all 'present day', it's always going to be a touch easier for them to have an authentic look.

Yeah, that's true. Also, I didn't think John Adams had the 'HBO feel' from it's trailer either, but it ended up being quite excellent.

I honestly think I'm not going to like this and I really like the books and most things HBO do. The problem is fantasy writing rarely seems to transfer well to the screen. Dialogue usually seems to come across as stilted or silly and the videos posted above haven't made me think that's going to be much different here. Also some of the characters really don't look anything like how I imagine they would (Drogo and Illyrio spring to mind) which is going to be annoy me too. That said I'll definitely be watching it and hoping it's good.