rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Elliott

I'm startlingly under-well-read.

Fantastic response, I'm really grateful. It's going to be an expensive month until I get get back into the English Dept.'s library.

You'd think there would be somewhere you could borrow books from, a bit like Blockbusters. Put them in town centres and suchlike. That idea might catch on - I might suggest it to my local council, they might go for it.

You'd think there would be somewhere you could borrow books from, a bit like Blockbusters. Put them in town centres and suchlike. That idea might catch on - I might suggest it to my local council, they might go for it.

Banned from every public library within a 10 mile radius of my house.

Long story.

The only one with a decent selection is the main one in Liverpool, anyway, but I'm right on the outskirts so it's quite a way back for an emergency return.

We've got time.

Long story is a euphemism for 'I pissed off somebody in a library and they stopped anybody at my address from opening ot using an account in a Sefton library'. Ever again.

I've yet to meet anyone who hasn't enjoyed a Kurt Vonnegut book, in particular I'd recommend Slaughterhouse 5, Breakfast of Champions, Sirens of Titan. There's an ebay auction for three of his best books here currently going for £1.04 with £2.75 postage and 8 hours to go

Long story is a euphemism for 'I pissed off somebody in a library and they stopped anybody at my address from opening ot using an account in a Sefton library'. Ever again.

Blimey.

What did you do? We gave you recommendations, you give us details.

Blimey.

What did you do? We gave you recommendations, you give us details.

It was a retaliatory banning.

I broke up with a librarian's daughter. I didn't do anything overly wrong, we just drifted a bit, but I chanced into meeting another girl the week after we split up who I was never involved with but apparently it caused a bit of upset and she must have told her Mum I was a twat.

Her Mum put £100 of fines on my library account with her librarian magic and now even if I did want to pay the £100, the time to pay it has lapsed and I'm banned, my children are banned and my children's children are banned. For three months. I jest, it's life.

It's been a major, major pain in the arse over the years. Fair play to her though.

Complain? Are you mad? She's already shown she wasn't to be trifled with. He should be thankful she allowed him to continue reading the periodicals.

If you don't make a stand against this type of person, they'll do it again and again.

Who knows where it'll end? Librarian doesn't like the look of you? £50 fine. Thinks you looked at her in a funny way? She tells the police that you've been hanging round the junior book section asking children if they want to see a pop-up book about a sausage. Tutted at the length of the queue? She'll sellotape razor blades under the front pages of your books.

It's like the plot of a straight-to-video thriller: The Librarian

"If you bring them back late, she'll make you late...forever!"

SHE MUST BE STOPPED.

If you don't make a stand against this type of person, they'll do it again and again.

Who knows where it'll end? Librarian doesn't like the look of you? £50 fine. Thinks you looked at her in a funny way? She tells the police that you've been hanging round the junior book section asking children if they want to see a pop-up book about a sausage. Tutted at the length of the queue? She'll sellotape razor blades under the front pages of your books.

It's like the plot of a straight-to-video thriller: The Librarian

"If you bring them back late, she'll make you late...forever!"

SHE MUST BE STOPPED.

Shhhh, she might be reading right now. She's always reading, it's all she does!

I have just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy and I thought it was fantastic. I couldn't put it down.

It prompted me to spend a Smiths voucher that I had in a drawer on the Borders Trilogy.

Another vote for GMF, as well, I love the Flashman novels and have also picked up The Pyrates from a charity shop recently and added to the shelf.

• Upvote 1

Kazuo Ishiguro. Remains of the Day is meant to be his 'classic' but I haven't read it. Everything I have read by him has been worthwhile though.

Kurt Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse 5.

All of Ishiguro's books are fantastic.

Mrs Morrius has been reading and enjoying the Millenium trilogy (Girl with the dragon tattoo etc) and says they're really good, I'm quite suspicious.

That's what I thought.

They've been given the thumbs up by more than a few serious critics etc though... but I fear another Da Vinci Code.

Anything by coetzee /obvious.

Yes. Wouldn't start out with the last two though, not his very best. Life and times, Disgrace, Youth are what I would suggest.

Also Orhan Pamuk, especially Snow, but also Museum of Innocence.

I think both those authors would suit you if you prefer c19 books.

Just spotted this pop back up again.

I really enjoyed Waiting for the Barbarians and Disgrace by JM Coetzee.

Also found a lot of love for Graham Greene, Bret Easton Ellis, Nabokov's further body of work and a few other things.

I have just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy and I thought it was fantastic. I couldn't put it down.

It prompted me to spend a Smiths voucher that I had in a drawer on the Borders Trilogy.

Another vote for GMF, as well, I love the Flashman novels and have also picked up The Pyrates from a charity shop recently and added to the shelf.

The Borders Trilogy is very different Benito. I'd suggest reading Blood Meridian or Suttree instead. Blood Meridian is like Apocalypse Now set in the Wild West, it's truly amazing.

I'm bookless at the moment after reading The Shining (I've been meaning to read it for about ten years and glad I finally did). I'm thinking of getting myself something after Xmas and I'm getting into the horror genre; I go into Waterstones however and end up being bedazzled by the choice and not buying anything.

Elliott cites Bret Easton Ellis but I honestly think he is a one trick pony and the vanity in his writing grates. Lunar Park was so self indulgent it took me so long to finish it. I think Ellis sees himself as some sort of zeitgeist of modern American fiction but I don't think he's done anything good before or after American Psycho. And Elliott being banned from a library is :lol:

The Borders Trilogy is very different Benito. I'd suggest reading Blood Meridian or Suttree instead. Blood Meridian is like Apocalypse Now set in the Wild West, it's truly amazing.

I haven't started the Border Trilogy yet. I've got a massive backlog at the moment but did get a load of vouchers for Christmas so will look for Blood Meridian.

I have also picked up 100 Years of Solitude to read soon.