The Beatles Remasters

superpretend

I pretty much never listen to All Together Now anymore. But when I first watched Yellow Submarine as a kid, it was my favourite song in the movie, so I suppose it did its job. I would probably have loved Octopus's Garden too at that age - even now, I don't really mind it, and it has a nice solo in it.

I know I should find Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da annoying, but somehow I don't.

Even if Good Night is meant to be a parody of lush movie scores, it seems to be put on the White Album just for the sake of having an "ending" song and a second Ringo song, rather than because there's much to it.

Their cover of Mr Moonlight seems to be really unpopular for its lounge singer feel. I haven't heard that song in years so I can't really comment on it...

I'd forgotten about Rocky Raccoon. Proabably my least favourite Beatles song after George's sitar wig-outs. Especially the version on the Anthology which is, incredibly, even more annoying.

I like the bit on the Anthology version where he messes up the lyrics and bursts out laughing ("sminking of gin... sminking?"). The song itself is fun - even if the story doesn't really have much of an ending.

What's the wierd George Harrison one on Magical Mystery Tour, Blue Jay Way? I don't like that one either.
Yeah, that's probably my least favourite Beatles song of all.

I like the Indian songs though - especially Within You Without You.

George's 'Old Brown Shoe' however isn't.

Old Brown Shoe is great! It feels a bit like the bridge between Savoy Truffle and Something.

Old Brown Shoe is great! It feels a bit like the bridge between Savoy Truffle and Something.

I was just thinking about why I've always disliked it and I think it's because I first heard it among all the great stuff on the 'Blue' compilation album. If it had been a proper album track I probably would have liked it a bit more.

Eight Days A Week. It's the love song equivalent of a footballer telling the press they're going to give it 110%

Ooo I need your love, babe

guess you know it's true

Hope you need my love babe

just like I need you

Hold me, love me, hold me, love me

I ain't got nothing but love, babe

Eight days a week

Love you every day, girl

always on my mind

One thing I can say, girl

love you all the time

Eight days a week

I love you

Eight days a week

is not enough to show I care

Thank fuck they found LSD and finally found something other than love to write about. Occasionally...

IMO too many of their songs are all like "Oooooh baby I love yoo yeaahhh I want to bee with yooo and put my arms around you girle". Especially their earlier stuff.

IMO too many of their songs are all like "Oooooh baby I love yoo yeaahhh I want to bee with yooo and put my arms around you girle". Especially their earlier stuff.

I'd happily pick out a few favourites from that era (Eight Days and Saw Her Standing There are excellent tracks), but yeah, whole albums of it is a lot to take in one go. 'Slike, jeez, get a room!

Quite. And of course, the lines "so I lit a fire/isn't it good, Norwegian wood?" line suggest the furniture went up in flames (although I realise you don't have to read it this way).

Supposedly John was shagging the woman in the downstairs flat when he was still living with Cynthia in London, and there was a lot of wood panelling there.

I was just thinking about why I've always disliked it and I think it's because I first heard it among all the great stuff on the 'Blue' compilation album. If it had been a proper album track I probably would have liked it a bit more.

Another here who first head the Beatles in the red and blue albums, coloured vinyl 'n' all. I think they were Christmas presents - even my Mum had to admit they did some good stuff on the red album. Still got them somewhere.

I'd happily pick out a few favourites from that era (Eight Days and Saw Her Standing There are excellent tracks), but yeah, whole albums of it is a lot to take in one go. 'Slike, jeez, get a room!

I dunno - I found the first album so fresh and invigourating I played it back to back 3 or 4 times in a row. There is then maybe a bit of a dip to Hard Days Night and then the superb Rubber Soul.

just started to work through the box set, started on Abbey Road as i had it on cassette when i was nipper. Would always listen to it on my walkman on family holidays etc, God it sounds so god damn fucking fantastic.

Why not play them in the order they were made?

Discovered the run off track at the end of Sgt Pepper last night for the first time ever...............................

So I bought Sgt. Pepper's.. and, I'm sorry, but the songs in question where the vocals are panned to the extreme left or right sound extremely jarring to me.

I feel like I got crap seats at the most amazing concert ever. :(

Sod it, I'm off to the high seas to look for the real versions.

I've never been a Beatles fan. I'd heard the same well known pop hits as everyone else and just never went any further. For some reason last night I got a hankering to listen to the new cds. Of course this being the Beatles I couldn't buy them for download at 11pm in the evening so I hit the high seas.

Bloody hell. I've been missing this all these years? Today I went to Asda and was only able to buy four cds. Abbey Road, Revolver, Sgt Pepper and Rubber Soul. I bloody love Sgt Pepper. I decided to give the remasters a proper workout and ripped them to Apple Lossless. I cannot believe how crystal clear they sound and a song I've hated for years (When I'm 64) suddenly becomes a fave in one listen.

I've ordered more cds from Amazon and I'm getting very tempted by the mono boxset.

As an aside. It's getting bloody difficult to buy audio cds in the highstreet if you want to avoid HMV.

I've never been a Beatles fan. I'd heard the same well known pop hits as everyone else and just never went any further. For some reason last night I got a hankering to listen to the new cds. Of course this being the Beatles I couldn't buy them for download at 11pm in the evening so I hit the high seas.

Bloody hell. I've been missing this all these years? Today I went to Asda and was only able to buy four cds. Abbey Road, Revolver, Sgt Pepper and Rubber Soul. I bloody love Sgt Pepper. I decided to give the remasters a proper workout and ripped them to Apple Lossless. I cannot believe how crystal clear they sound and a song I've hated for years (When I'm 64) suddenly becomes a fave in one listen.

I've ordered more cds from Amazon and I'm getting very tempted by the mono boxset.

As an aside. It's getting bloody difficult to buy audio cds in the highstreet if you want to avoid HMV.

Cool. Just wait until you hear The White Album (aka The Beatles) and Abbey Road. They sound gorgeous, and luckily I bought the latter first, and its warm, rich sound really sold me on the remasters.

I'd previously only ever had the Beatles '1' album which I liked but didn't love (now I think it's a terrible representation of the band's output). It was only really the footage of Beatles Rock Band etc that had some songs I recognised without previously realising were by The Beatles that spurred me into getting 'Love' which was amazing. This led to me the rest of their catalogue- even more amazing and I prefer a lot of their weirder, deeper and slower stuff. I have never really been passionate about music but when it comes to The Beatles I now am. I have spent hours watching Youtube videos, listening to their music, reading all about the band and the guys, watching their movies and the Anthology series etc yet still want to know more. Only problem is they have made most other music seem worse to me. My girlfriend is a fan now too, previously the only Beatles song she liked was 'Eleanor Rigby' and now she watches their movies and listens to their catalogue too.

:(

Cool. Just wait until you hear The White Album (aka The Beatles) and Abbey Road. They sound gorgeous, and luckily I bought the latter first, and its warm, rich sound really sold me on the remasters.

Hmm... that guy whose website was linked to earlier in the thread doesn't think that the remastered Abbey Road was an unqualified improvement:

http://goodrob13.com/2009/09/14/beatles-re...-remastered-cd/

From his audio clips (normalised to the same overall volume), I can hear a slight difference in some places, but I wouldn't have noticed if they weren't heard side by side, and it's hard to describe either as "better" than the other. Maybe the real benefits are on the earlier albums...

Still - I'm very happy with the ones I've bought (Sgt Pepper and the White Album) - for the new packaging as well as the sound. ;)

He seems to think that normalising = compression. Just because the Come Together on the #1 CD is louder doesn't necessarily mean it's been through a limiter (it probably has to some extent, but that's not my point). It's highly possible that that version is just at a higher level. If the RMS has increased proportionally, then the dynamic range is equal. He makes no mention of RMS.

Although his point about using all the dynamic range can cause some devices to clip is an interesting one. I'll bear that in mind with my own music (I'm re-recording some of my songs ready for an EP). I'll try and leave a few dB headroom. I bounce to 32bit/96kHz anyway so I've plenty of scope for playing with the dynamics.

EDIT: I read on and he does mention that when he matches the peaks of the 1987 CD to 0 dB (the #1 version peaks at -0.01 dB so to be pedantic, shouldn't he have matched them to that?) the average level is higher. I just read the first bit and did a search for "RMS".

The wording does seem to indicate he's equating louder with less dynamic range, though.

Abbey Road is awesome. I was listening to that on the train home from work. The White Album was the first one I yarred (My Amazon copy is coming tomorrow) and I love it too.

Today in HMV I bought Yellow Submarine, Let It Be, With The Beatles, Beatles for Sale and Beatles Rock Band. Sadly they had no Mono Box sets left or my credit card would be hating me even more.

I just ordered Love from Amazon for a Wednesday delivery. I've read up on that one but I'm not sure what to expect.

Love is mostly excellent, it has some truly inspired mash-up type mixes, and a few misfires that end up coming across a bit Stars On 45. But of course all the source songs are great, and it all sounds really good. I can't decide whether it's the perfect "introducing the Beatles" album or the exact opposite, but it's absolutely worth having.

It's a welcome mess-around with their material, but, as an album, I think it's less than the sum of its parts. And much of the enjoyment comes from noticing the songs that are mashed together too, which is only going to be possible if you're aware of the material beforehand.

Have to disagree as a BEatles fan for 27 years with every album on every format

, i was blown away by Love. It was just magnificent - a celebration of the best band ever.

:)

That's what I'm getting at though; it's a celebration of the band and their legacy. I wouldn't say it's a great primer for a newcomer. It takes a while to get going places and the samples they give sometimes don't do the original songs justice in their brevity.

Apart from the wonderful acoustic versions of Whilst My Guitar Gently Weeps and Strawberry Fields, the real joy of it comes from the intertextuality (pardon the use of such a pretentious term), hearing the drum solo from The End before the start of Get Back, Eleanor Rigby mashed up with Julia and realising for the first time what a great psychedelic trilogy Tomorrow Never Knows, Within You Without You and Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds makes.

It’s a great album, sure. But it’s a victory lap, and should be listened to once you’ve already let the studio albums seep into you.

So... the White Album. Bloody hell, it's a bit weird in places, isn't it? What exactly did people in 1968 make of Revolution9? It sounds like subliminal messages trying to control your mind!

And I thought I heard Star Wars laser gun sound, but had to quickly remind myself that didn't exist when it was made! Bloody hell. Forget the moon landing, this was a time before Star Wars!!

That's what I'm getting at though; it's a celebration of the band and their legacy. I wouldn't say it's a great primer for a newcomer. It takes a while to get going places and the samples they give sometimes don't do the original songs justice in their brevity.

Apart from the wonderful acoustic versions of Whilst My Guitar Gently Weeps and Strawberry Fields, the real joy of it comes from the intertextuality (pardon the use of such a pretentious term), hearing the drum solo from The End before the start of Get Back, Eleanor Rigby mashed up with Julia and realising for the first time what a great psychedelic trilogy Tomorrow Never Knows, Within You Without You and Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds makes.

It’s a great album, sure. But it’s a victory lap, and should be listened to once you’ve already let the studio albums seep into you.

Agreed. The love album can only be fully appreciated when you are familiar with originals. I think it is a work of genius if partially inspired by 2manydjs, dj shadow, freelance hellraiser etc. Easily in my top five of the decade. Along with Shins, Midlake, DJ Shadow and ?

:D

I don't know why Maxwell's Silver Hammer and Octopuses Garden both get such a panning pretty much everywhere, when they're really good tracks.

Oh! Darling, on the other hand, is absolutely awful. Sounds like a parody of this sort of song, but I don't reckon it is. "I'll never do you no harm"... there are billions of people in the world to whom he would presumably "do no harm". Not exactly a big promise to make to someone he's trying to woo, is it? I mean, if his beloved were dating Stalin or somebody, she might want to hear this kind of reassurance, but here it comes across as "he protests too much..."

Totally agree with the love for the acoustic version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" on the Love album. The whole album is pretty special, but I'd say this is easily the standout track and even possibly better than the White Album version *dons flameproof suit*

I love the intro to Octopus's Garden on the Love album too, shame they didn't give the whole song the same treatment and not just drop in the odd effect from Yellow Submarine.