Jump to content
IGNORED

Dune - Denis Villeneuve to direct!


womblingfree
 Share

Recommended Posts

Seems a bit harsh to criticise it for being half a film at this stage.  Villeneuve has a pretty good sense of story, it seems fair to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's not completely fucked it up and ended it on an unsatisfying anti-climax.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A trilogy out of Messiah?

 

Spoiler

I read it earlier this year and it's mostly Paul pacing around his ivory tower agonising over what he's done. So much more happens in the first book. The ending is quite good though.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/08/2021 at 09:23, Benny said:

 

I'm not sure I agree with this. Two and a half hours is plenty for one book.

 

Not sure I agree with this.  Some of the best book -> film adaptations come from short stories or fairly slight novels.  So I'd say a typical hollywood film is about short story or short novel length. 

A long, dense novel is never going to make a satisfying standard length hollywood movie without being radically altered.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

 

Not sure I agree with this.  Some of the best book -> film adaptations come from short stories or fairly slight novels.  So I'd say a typical hollywood film is about short story or short novel length. 

A long, dense novel is never going to make a satisfying standard length hollywood movie without being radically altered.


Yes, this is true. There are very few really satisfying novel to film adaptations in my view, unless you don’t know the novel in the first place, or the novel departs quite significantly from the film, eg Blade Runner or Jaws.

 

At least that’s for me. I can’t enjoy a film of a book I love where they have taken a thin scrape of the story, if that story is fairly fresh for me at the time. The film always seems like a bit of a joke.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, JohnC said:

No, these two and Messiah being the third.

Oh okay, that does make sense. I do feel like the theme of 'be wary of messiahs' only makes sense if you know what happens after the events of Dune.

 

In any case, the third film would end up being quite uneventful. I feel like most of Messiah happens in the characters' heads.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dune captured my imagination as a kid, primarily because it premiered on terrestrial tv on a Sunday night in the 80's and i got to watch the first ten minutes before my dad sent me off to bed. the theme music stuck in my head.

 

I'm not sure my tiny mind will cope with a Dune movie without that theme music that seemed to match the film so brilliantly

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/08/2021 at 16:40, Ste Pickford said:

 

Not sure I agree with this.  Some of the best book -> film adaptations come from short stories or fairly slight novels.  So I'd say a typical hollywood film is about short story or short novel length. 

A long, dense novel is never going to make a satisfying standard length hollywood movie without being radically altered.


I can’t think of a single novel length book that was adapted into a film well? All the good book adaptations I can think of are either short stories or novellas, or they were adapted across multiple movies. Even something as light and fluffy as a Harry Potter book ends up missing key details and character motivations when adapted into a single movie. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I read this novel once about a shark with big jaws, that kept clamping its jaws around people, so many people ended up in its jaws the townspeople tried to kill it. I think they made a film, it was called 'The Shark That Couldn't Stop Eating'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, K said:

No Country for Old Men, Deliverance, Trainspotting, the Shining, the Godfather, & LA Confidential are all pretty good films.

 

 

Not sure any outside of The Godfather have anything like Dune's scope, and that takes screen time.  Some of the first Godfather novel ended up in Part II, so that's cheating anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, monkeydog said:

 

 

Not sure any outside of The Godfather have anything like Dune's scope, and that takes screen time.  Some of the first Godfather novel ended up in Part II, so that's cheating anyway.


I dunno, LA Confidential is an absolutely labyrinthine novel. It’s longer than Dune anyway, and is written in Ellroy’s clipped, abbreviated prose, which means it packs a ludicrous amount of detail and plot into its page count. There are something like a hundred separate named characters. If you can condense LA Confidential down into two hours and twenty minutes and keep all the core themes and ideas intact, you can do anything. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, K said:


I dunno, LA Confidential is an absolutely labyrinthine novel. It’s longer than Dune anyway, and is written in Ellroy’s clipped, abbreviated prose, which means it packs a ludicrous amount of detail and plot into its page count. There are something like a hundred separate named characters. If you can condense LA Confidential down into two hours and twenty minutes and keep all the core themes and ideas intact, you can do anything. 

 

Tbh it was so long ago I can't remember what LA Confidential was about. I didn't find the film especially engaging at the time. I do remember being disappointed after all the hype.  Maybe I'd get more out of the book or a rewatch?

 

I'm not really onboard with Brokers original comment, but do think some books need more screen time than 2-3 hours, Dune being one of them.  It would be better as a mini series really (but good, unlike the tepid syfy effort)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Harsin said:

I read this novel once about a shark with big jaws, that kept clamping its jaws around people, so many people ended up in its jaws the townspeople tried to kill it. I think they made a film, it was called 'The Shark That Couldn't Stop Eating'.


The film and the book are different in quite significant ways.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, K said:

No Country for Old Men, Deliverance, Trainspotting, the Shining, the Godfather, & LA Confidential are all pretty good films.


No Country for Old Men is an exception I think, as it’s very faithful to the novel. Although it’s quite a compact novel, which helps.

 

Trainspotting the film leaves out an enormous amount of the book.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ZOK said:


No Country for Old Men is an exception I think, as it’s very faithful to the novel. Although it’s quite a compact novel, which helps.

 

Trainspotting the film leaves out an enormous amount of the book.


To continue this, I think No Country for Old Men is one of the very few flicks I’ve watched after reading the novel and didn’t feel pissed off at the film.

 

Although now I think about it The Road is a very decent adaptation too. There are probably loads of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, scottcr said:

Don’t think you could ask for much more The LOTR trilogy for those three books. Sure, missed the Scouring and TomB but otherwise pretty spot on


The films are TERRIBLE compared with the books, they remove all the nuance of the writing and leave you with the A to B to C of the story, and characters are like different people entirely, eg Galadriel.
 

However, you only really notice this if they are very fresh in your mind. On their own merit they are good movies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, ZOK said:


To continue this, I think No Country for Old Men is one of the very few flicks I’ve watched after reading the novel and didn’t feel pissed off at the film.

 

Although now I think about it The Road is a very decent adaptation too. There are probably loads of them.

 

From slightly hazy memory, No Country For Old Men reads almost like a script anyway, it's so sparse.

 

Fight Club is pretty far out of fashion lately but that might count as another good adaptation. And American Psycho! Trainspotting! Under The Skin! Yes there are loads indeed, Elmore Leonard must be responible for a bunch too.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.